Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest xballetdreamsx

Ballet Schools in Michigan...

SPF + C

If you're willing to travel to Washtenaw County, CAS Ballet Theatre School has excellent adult advanced ballet classes (no web site). Vagonova technique.

HollyLynn

Thank you so much for the info. -- I'm going to definitely look into this. Great Lakes is only a 15 minute ride for me!!

Hi,

Carmen Wade teaches an excellent advanced class at Great Lakes Athletic Center in lake Orion, MI --right by Great Lakes Crossing, exit 84 I-75 then north on Baldwin (very hard and intensive--be warned!) ballet, pointe and Ballet Cardio , on Monday nights and Saturdays during the day. She offers drop-in pricing as well. She is my dd long time ballet teacher. Amazing!

http://www.greatlakesathleticclub.com/prog...and_leagues.php

As well another teacher, Christine teaches excellent adult ballet classes, 6 days per week, mornings, in Keego Harbor MI at Cornelia's School of Dance. 248-681-5376. She does not work of Cornelia but uses her studio and I am sure they would give you class info. She teaches both ballet and pointe. My dd is pre-pro and goes there on breaks. An occasional retired or vacationing ballerina is in the class as well, and they all find the classes useful. :):)

HollyLynn

Thank you for asking, I'm seriously looking into Great Lakes Athletic Club. St. Clair Shores is soooo far for me.....too bad, I really miss the old "Lo-Ru Gang". 2-3 of Lois' older teachers were teaching classes in Macomb Twp. for Parks & Rec. as well.

HollyLynn-

Any luck finding a studio yet? I'm in your area and I'd love to hear what you've learned (in addition to what's been listed).

FYI- some former Lo-Ru students have shown up at Dance Expressions just south of where Lois had her studio.

dancingawaymylifesavings

Update: Carmen Wade is teaching ballet for the summer at LA Dance in Lake Orion. Intermediate/Adv ballet classes at LA Dance start tonight and will run through the summer. (M-24 across from the Home Depot). Adults welcome, normally the class has 3-5 young adults (19-25) and occasionally has 2-3 adults, then there is a spattering of younger serious dancers.

Tuesdays: 7:30-9: (1/2 hour pointe included)

Thursdays:7-9pm

She is still at Great Lakes Athletic Club in Orion for Cardio Ballet on Saturdays, to be followed by a ballet class if there is interest.

Be prepared to sweat. My dd came out of there dripping the other day. I have never seen her sweat like that.

PrettyonPointe45

Does anyone know of these decent dance studios in Marysville? (It's St. Clair County near Port Huron) an earlier poster a long time ago mentioned some but I can't manage to find any.

dncmmmchgn151

I know that a bunch of the girls that take at Paavola's School of Dance in Flint, Michigan come all the way over from Port Huron. Several girls are taking at both Paavola's and another school in Port Huron - I can ask them for info about their home studio in Port Huron if it would help.

PrettyonPointe45

Thank you so much, that would be amazing if I knew what studio it was... I'm sorry for the late reply, haha.. hopefully you'll still read this.

dncmmmchgn151

The girls I know go to "The Dance Company". Some of the girls that are *serious* about ballet make the 1-hour drive to Denise Paavola's in Flint to get additional ballet training.

PrettyonPointe45

I took a class there over the summer and was told I'd be put in the advanced ballet class, but I wasn't given much more information than that. How many classes a week does the advanced ballet class have at The Dance Company? Thanks for your info :) *edit later* Alright, I just found out they only offer one "advanced" "ballet" class a week. Yeah, NOT going to work. I'm seriously considering making the hour drive to Flint 5 days a week seeing that I seem to have no other choice.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for some dance studios in Lansing? I'm going to be moving there in about a year, and while I'm staying in the Port Huron area until then and taking classes here I'd sort of like to plan ahead for when I move to Lansing. If it helps any, I'd prefer Vagonova training just because that's what I'm used to and what I've always been trained in but I'm obviously open to go outside of that.

PrettyonPointe45

Alright.. turns out I may be moving somewhere else now...

I'm pretty interested in The Academy of Russian Ballet. I've been looking at their website online and the schedule kind of concerns me for the top two levels. There seems to be 3-4 classes back to back sometimes with no breaks. These classes appear to be sometimes 4:30 to 8:15 with no apparent breaks... This kind of scares me, especially I've been injured because I took too many classes before (but that was a bit of a different situation). Is the schedule actually a bit different when you're actually dancing like 10 minute breaks or something that just aren't on the schedule? This may sound ridiculous, but what exactly does conditioning consist of?

Thank you so much.

homeschooltreasurs

Happendance is a good place for Ballet in the Lansing area. They have a student who is studying at NCSA post high school and also a student who is in her second year as a National Training Scholar with ABT. They don't have a prepro schedule but the quality of the training is excellent.

2LF
Alright.. turns out I may be moving somewhere else now...

I'm pretty interested in The Academy of Russian Ballet. I've been looking at their website online and the schedule kind of concerns me for the top two levels. There seems to be 3-4 classes back to back sometimes with no breaks. These classes appear to be sometimes 4:30 to 8:15 with no apparent breaks... This kind of scares me, especially I've been injured because I took too many classes before (but that was a bit of a different situation). Is the schedule actually a bit different when you're actually dancing like 10 minute breaks or something that just aren't on the schedule? This may sound ridiculous, but what exactly does conditioning consist of?

Thank you so much.

Our dd has been with ARCB since 2005. Conditioning is stretching and core exercises. Depending on the instructor some exercises are Pilate-based. The schedule is exactly like you see it on-line. However, the students will pause between a combination to receive the next set of movements. The students work up a sweat, but they hydrate constantly and if they experience any discomfort, the instructors are wonderful in meeting the individual's needs. The instructors train well; it is Russian classical technique. They often have visiting dancers from Mariinsky Theatre provide master classes. I would encourage you to visit the studio and watch a class or even take a class.

Shannonian101

I love conditioning classes, you really do work up a stretch. We mainly focus on abdominal strength, flexibility, and back strength. Lots of personalized attention in that class.

dncmmmchgn151

I would also suggest to anyone in the Southeast Michigan area to look into ARCB - my daughter switched to this studio part time last year (we could not get her there daily due to her father's and my work schedules). The training is amazing - my daughter will be there full time starting in the fall. It is over a one hour drive for us each way but completely and totally worth it.