Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest xballetdreamsx

Ballet Schools in Michigan...

2pointeshoes

Rochester School of Dance in Rochester Hills is an excellent ballet school with an audition company, Michigan Ballet Theatre. They perform full length ballet productions every year. They also hold summer intensive classes with master teachers in August. Their web site is www.rochesterschoolofdance.com . Many of their former students have gone on to dance at pre-pro schools year-round and are dancing in professional companies. This school would be worth the drive, some students past and present do have long drives to attend.

anniebug

2pointeshoes thank you so much for the information :)

2pointeshoes

You are welcome anniebug, let me know if i can help. I once was a searching ballet parent in Michigan.

anniebug

2pointeshoes did your child attend the studio in Rochester Hills? Are they a competition studio? Do you have to do competition? We are currently in a studio that does competition and we want to move away from that focus. What ballet style do they teach? Cechetti? Russian or Mixed? Thanks so much for any reccomendations since we are going to have to drive no matter where we choose, we are really going to be doing our homework this summer. Anyone familiar with The Academy of Russian Classical Ballet in Novi??

balletmamma

My daughter tried ARCB. I thought the teachers were attentive, and very detail focused. I loved that school. My daughter found her class to be too repetitive, and she said she would find herself losing focus and daydreaming, because she got bored with all the repetition. However, she is Cecchetti trained, so they put her in a lower level than she's used to, so she could get physically stronger, as well as learn the Russian technique. I wish she was willing to just push through the mundane repetition, because the teacher of that class - Roman - is extremely attentive, and corrects every little detail of *every* student in his class. I watched him teach each time we went, and I was very impressed. I saw no favoritism, and I saw no forcing of anything. I saw teaching, and correcting of every student. My daughter has decided to take classes from a different Russian teacher to gain strength and learn style, and then hopes to go back there ready to move into a faster moving level. She actually messed up choreography in ARCB, because she allowed her mind to wander. I would have preferred she went there, and just forced herself to focus. But, in the meantime, she's working with a different Russian lady who moves class much faster, and is helping my daughter correct things she needs to correct. We've gone to her several times now, and my daughter is really happy. But, she only works with her 2x per week until she finishes her recital at her current school. The positive thing about the Russian lady is that she studied directly under Agrippina Vaganova, and my daughter really clicks with her. But, the negative is that she doesn't really have a full time school so she only teaches 3x/week. Her students have to study elsewhere the other days until she builds her school to enough students to get her own building etc. Frustrating...

anniebug

balletmamma thank you so much for the information!! (how old is your dd?) We have looked at ARCB and we are really leaning towards it! Up until now our DD 9 has also only taken Cechetti but I think with her being so young it's a great time to make the change, DD auditioned for the sumer program for ARCB and we got an acceptance letter, I figured summer would be the perfect time to try it out. I like that they offer summer classes all the way up until the time of the intensive in August. The caliber of the dancers at the audition were amazing, and the dancers from ARCB were breathtaking!! Roman actually gave the audition and he demonstrated (AMAZING)..our little daughter was in awe and a bit intimidated, but I can see she will learn great things there! Looking forward to summer!

Edited by anniebug

balletmamma

Anniebug,

My DD is 12, almost 13. She got spoiled at her dance school in that the always do fun choreography during at least 15 minutes of class - I mean, she dances with high school kids, and it's "fun" to them. She got used to doing things a certain way, and really loved it. She does actually need the attention to detail though to fix certain issues. The lady she's going to work with for a while is good about putting in the kind of choreography my daughter is used to, and keeping things moving, but also paying a lot of attention to detail. So with her, my daughter does get corrected a lot. I would say your daughter is at a better age than mine to make a big change. We're doing that change as a process, and hoping to be at ARCB next year in the fall. I genuinely love Roman as an instructor after watching him teach, and highly recommend him. They allow a placement class free of charge. Just try it, and see where your daughter is placed, who the teacher will be, and watch other classes going on as well to get a feel for the school. Then you'll know what you think. I know I thought highly of it. :-)

anniebug

@balletmamma, ARCB actually did a year-round placement when we came to the audition for the summer program, they placed her in level 3 which is right where I thought she should be as she just turned 9. we are coming from a competition school so I was pleased with her placement. Thanks for all your input I appreciate it so much!! Good Luck to your DD and maybe we will meet soon!!

balletmamma

Does anyone know the contact information or address of the Milligan School of Ballet in Michigan?

dancemaven

When I googled it, I did not find a website for it, but there were several entries that came up with a phone number and address. Of course, whether those are current, :shrug:

vrsfanatic

313 562 2002 24355 Joy Rd. , Dearborn Heights, MI

Excellent training. :-)

balletmamma

Thanks vrsfanatic!

Phx115

DD will turn 8 in April. She took the basic creative movement and ballet/tap classes from age 3 until she turned 6. In August 2012 she begged me to let her join a comp team. (Keep in mind my background is in classical ballet so I'm not completely comfortable with the whole comp thing.)

This year she is taking two 1-hour ballet classes, 1-hr of jazz, 1-hr of tap, 1-hr of stretch/acro, 1-hr of leaps and turns, and 1-hr of hip hop. She also takes a 30-minute ballet private and rehearses comp dances up to 3 hours a week. She's thrilled to have a lyrical solo this year!

I love the studio, and it tries to offer quality ballet classes, but I know DD is at that age where a strong ballet foundation should be started and I don't have confidence she will get that if she stays where she is at.

We're looking at some Junior SIs for this summer as well a pre-pro school for next year. We live in the Detroit area.

Fouronlychildren

This is my first post on this forum, though I've been reading it for the last few months. We are in the Detroit area and my 12.5 year old daughter trains at a school attached to a contemporary company. She loves the teachers and the friends she has developed during her 1.5 years there, but thinks she would like more dance days/hours than they offer for her level. I'm considering either (1) moving her to another studio and/or (2) just adding another day per week at a different studio. 

My daughter enjoys her contemporary classes, but prefers ballet. She will be attending her first big SI this summer and I fully expect her to return begging for more dance. We've got a max of 12-15 hours at current school (taking all contemporary, technique/pointe, and student-company classes/rehearsals at her level). The other studios seem to offer more like 20-25 hours per week. My daughter will be 13 in early fall.

The schools I've heard recommended are BalletDetroit, Academy of Russian Classical Ballet, Rochester School of Ballet, and Valentina's School of Ballet. We have a couple of trial/placement classes scheduled, but I would love to hear any recent experiences with any of these schools or others in the metro-Detroit area that you recommend.

Clara 76

I personaly know Sergey from Ballet Detroit, and I've seen his kids because many of them have participated in a project I am associated with. Whenever I watch Master classes in Detroit, I can tell immediately which kids are trained by Ballet Detroit! With the additions of Olga Pavlova and Rasta Thomas, as well as Dmitri Suslov teaching many classes for them, I would recommend them.