Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

dancing and working

ConstanzaElisabeth

How are serious ballet students supposed to work?! (sorry for the outburst there, heres the point) So Ive got this job teaching and my classes up at the U. Im not doing a whole lot of hours for work, but since its a teaching job the hours are set. In October there is a student choreography performance and auditions for the spring performance, but of course if I want to be in any of these i don't know what teh rehearsal schedule will be like. I have to work so i can buy food, but I don't have as many dancing hours as Id like and I need to do performances both for experience and credits. How can I deal with this? Should I audition, and if the schedule conflicts just say I can't do it, or if I find that the rehearsal hours permit, just find a sub for the days i cant teach when it comes to performance time, or work until i find that I cant anymore due to rehearsals, or take this year to earn money and take classes and wait till next year to bother with the performances? The lady im working for has had teachers that work for a couple months then find that they cant anymore, for some reason, but I would hate to have to quit in the middle. Ive already said that i can do certain classes, but then when placement time came around they moved me up a level and i had to change my schedule so i couldnt do one of the classes i had committed to...sorry this is getting a bit long and ranting, im just a bit frustrated and confused...

I'm having difficulties with this problem too. I am in a trainee program and we start at about 230 every day and end sometimes at 9. I was looking for a job to end around noon or 1230 at the latest but the places that could offer me that wanted me to start at 5 AM! I need sleep! :) I dont know what to tell you, except that you're not alone in your frustration!

I'm with you, girls! I'm in a company during the day-- and then teach after that most days...but I'm also worried about what happens once we get to the theatre in the evenings and I can't be at my classes. I have been advised to inform my employer very clearly and in advance about when I must miss a class due to rehearsal/performance. I'm hoping to be able to find a sub for these times....but of course most people I know have my same schedule! Constanza, I'm not sure I have any advice for you except maybe to try to find subs...or to find another job for this year that had more flexible scheduling? LilJules, have you looked at Starbucks at all? My best friend worked there last year and enjoyed it (and got benefits, always good!) She did start pretty early in the morning, but could usually get off by 11 when she needed to. Or maybe temp work that is a bit more flexible and you could go into an office in the AM?

Thanks swanilda! I did look and applied at starbucks but they also start at like 530 am. I might end up trying it for a while somewhere, but it is so early! lol......I thought about temp agencies but I dont know where to find one or how to go about doing that.? Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your ideas :)

its the same way with serious theatre students too. Luckily my manager at my place of employee(KB toys) is understanding and i don't work that many hours. Which is bad because I need the money but i have to audition for all the shows that my school does for my musical theatre major which will probably lead to being in shows. Sighh... at least i have a job.

Unfortunately, the kind of job I once held is not much available anymore what with meganetworks on radio. I was the midnight man at a radio station whose whole job it was to cut the news from the teletype as it came in, and make the morning news pasteups for the people who came in at 6 AM. Nobody uses RTTY (Teletype) anymore, and everything comes in on one of these machines (computers).

Guest Meliss

i know there have been plenty people posting, with not much help offered, and i would just like to add myself to the bunch. I am attempting to balance 30 hours a week waitressing, 16 credits at college, dancing and acting all at once, and it's not turning out so well so i am with you on your frustration! I agree with the trying to find a sub, decide what is most important to you. If you think you can work this semester or whatever and save up enough to not work the next, thats a good plan... or maybe your parents could lend you money and you can pay them back (my IOU to my parents is growing daily) :unsure: but still it allows you to do things you couldn't otherwise do, just some thoughts! good luck to ya!

melissa