Jump to content
Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Grand pas de Chat


Recommended Posts

Ok, so I have earned the right to execute grand allegro :unsure:

...However, I really do not get how one leaps in the air while executing a high devellope when doing grand pas de chat to the front. The combo is usually glissade/grand pas de chat/grand pas de chat/grand pas de chat or sissonne tombee/pas de bourree/ glissade/grand pas de chat. When do you start your developpe? When do you unfold the leg? How not to drop your knee when doing developpe? By the time I try to think about all this, the music is over and my diagonal is done.


Any tips would be appreciated.(I hope I make sense)

Link to comment

We've got nomenclature tieups here. Are you referring to a sort of grand jeté which starts with a developpé? If so, don't think, just do. As soon as the weight goes to the take-off foot, the working leg goes to a retiré, and the take-off happens. A split-second later, the developpé goes out, and you are in a grand jeté position in the air. When you land, the leg that was in back passes through first position, and you're in a 4th croisé, ready for whatever follows.

Link to comment

Sorry about that...yes I am referring to

a sort of grand jeté which starts with a developpé
I will try to "just do it " next time.

However, does one need to have more than a floor split to be able to get a full split in the air?

thank you again.

Link to comment

A split on the floor has gravity working for you. In a split in the air, you are working AGAINST gravity, and need the strength to put the legs into a split in the air despite that. Don't worry if it doesn't happen right away. This is one of those things that develops over time.

Link to comment
  • Administrators

It seems to have become known as Saut de chat in most places these days, although that is really not how Saut de chat is described in Gail Grant. :)


Gretchen Ward Warren's book describes it as Grand jeté developpé en avant (also called pas de chat jeté). I have succombed to calling it Saut de chat, since that seems to be how everyone differentiates it from a regular grand jeté these days.

Link to comment

I call it Saut de chat, too. When I was growing up, some of my teachers called this jump "stag leap".

Link to comment

That's a name borrowed from modern. The term came from the early Denishawn era of the 1920s.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...