Ballet Talk for Dancers

Concerns about daughter's ballet instruction

rokmiller

Thank you Ms. Leigh,

My DD recently had to turn down a spot at Baltimore School for the Arts due to lack of transportion and although she has shown some interest in WSB, I think it probably would be better to wait until she can drive before allowing her to audition there. It would just be too emotionally gut-wrenching to go through that again. A Residency program would be great though!

Guest Megari

Rokmiller,

Congratulations on your daughters offer of a half-scholarship at UBA for the year round program! I agree with LRS that if you are interested in her going to UBA it never hurts to give them a call and let them know you would like her to attend if circumstances at the school allow (often a spot or two is still open). My daughter was at UBA this summer and has started her first year. She has been pleased with the school. We commute daily but live closer than you. It is very discouraging to hear how your daughter's teacher is behaving.

I hope this information will be of help to you. We live in MD and have in the past commuted to Tyson's Corner, VA for classes at the Kintz-Mejia Academy of Ballet. Perhaps, it is not far from you. I found it to be an excellent school if you are unable to fix the issues at your current studio. Their Vaganova training would also make the transition to full time at UBA a little easier. We were also given the name of Ballet Volee (also Vaganova training) in Rockville, MD though I have no personal experience with them.

You might also want to inquire about the Saturday classes at UBA. I know that they allow some outside students to come to participate in these. This would be especially nice if your daughter is interested in coming to UBA year round.

GoodLuck!

Megari

• 2 years later...

Rokmiller -

You predicament sounds quite familiar. I hope that you still read this board. I would be very interested to find out what the outcome of your story was.

This is all way out of my experience, but I wonder if a little casual diplomatic comment from your daughter or you could stop her teacher being off with her. Like showing the teacher how you think she explains things well, how she's enjoying doing a particular thing in class, how you agree with her view about such and such, and seeking her advice.

Posters, this thread is over 2 years old! :sweating: The original poster has not been actively posting since September 2004. There really isn't much reason to revive this thread.

Just curious, though. We've had a spate of very old topics revived by relatively new members. For new members, how is it that you come upon these old, old threads? Is it in some manner a result of how you found the Board? :shrug: Just wondering if there would be a better way to get you newbies hooked up with the current topics first, rather than the oldies, but moldies. :shrug:

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

Could it have something to do with the software showing only older posts to people not registered? I seem to recall something about this at one time, but thought it had been fixed.

By the way, in terms of the original poster, her DD ended up at WSB and is now in their Release Time Program, in third year at the school. She is exceptionally talented and doing very, very well. I loved working with her, and miss her, along with all of my WSB dancers.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

No problem, SK. And, welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! :grinning:

SK, it wasn't an annoyance---just curiosity as to how it is the new members seem to be finding these really old threads.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers! We look forward to you joining us in all our discussions. :o

• 2 weeks later...

I have found this thread by using the search function.

I have some concerns that I hoped to resolve by joining this forum. However, being one of those "non-sharing" types, I am not comfortable talking about them in the open; besides, I am sure that similar matters have been discussed and resolved before. Too bad the forum rules prevent new members from seeing the PTA section. It will probably be months before I qualify for full member status :P

SK, perhaps you could share the problem without naming names/schools/studios, and other details? Maybe that would make you feel more comfortable??

The other thing you could do is send an e-mail to one of the moderators. I think you can do this by clicking on the Moderator Team at the bottom of the front page. If not, post here which moderator you'd like to contact, and we can give you an e-mail address.

• Administrators
Victoria Leigh

SK, I really prefer to do as much of my work as possible on the board, as I spend so much time here. However, if you absolutely cannot find a way to post your problem, you may email me at . Let me know when you have read this, as I would prefer to remove the email address...although this is certainly not the first time it has been posted :) I prefer emails to Private Messages, so perhaps I should find a way to have my email more available :shrug: