Ballet Talk for Dancers

EllenDana

When my dd auditioned last year, they did not even look at her academics until she passed the dance audition. Her academics are strong, but they didn't care unless she got to that point in the audition process.

2marzipans

In order for my daughter to schedule her dance audition this year, she had to submit the application to the college. By doing that, she could set up a "myPurchase" online account. The audition can be requested through this account one or two weeks after the application has been submitted. It states on the Purchase College website that audition requests will not be taken over the phone. As EllenDana said, it is not necessary to be accepted to the college first, but you do have to apply before the audition.

claeri

I have a question... since it's a conservatory program, does that mean you're not allowed to double major? Or is it just something that's difficult and hard to schedule, but is done? I'd love a BFA in dance and a BA in English, but I don't know if that's possible at Purchase...

I've done my best to read through the thread... if the answer to my question is out there, please point me in the right direction! Thanks! :)

EllenDana

I don't know if you are not allowed to declare a double major, but it may be difficult. You would do best to call the dance conservatory and address your questions with them. I do know that they are revamping some of their programs for next year and bringing all the conservatory under one dean instead of deans in every arts discipline. (It has caused some concern among the dancers until they see how it works out, and the dean of dance, Carol Shiffman will be leaving in May.) My dd says that the goal is to increase the conservatory students' interaction with the other students in liberal arts, as now they may share only one or two classes per semester with them. My dd is carrying 22.5 credits this semester and is taking only one course outside of the conservatory. Her roommate is taking 2, but does not have the same exact dance schedule as my dd, so I really can't give you the details. I can tell you my dd is happy there and working VERY hard. She will not know until spring of her sophomore year if she is accepted into the BFA Choreography program, everyone has to start out as a BFA Dance major until they specialize. Hope that helps.

claeri

Yes, that was really helpful, thanks! I'm going back to visit in a couple of weeks, so I'm sure I'll find out then.

Thank you :]

Momof3darlings

Anyone with information on where this year's graduating class is going after leaving SUNYP, please share. If this placement is within a company, please also share at what level: corp, trainee, teaching, switch to contemporary,etc.

Sucre

My DD auditioned for Suny yesterday in L.A. and I was wondering when she might hear back. Has anyone from the 1/15 audition in Baltimore heard anything back yet? I know that there was a meeting with the parents and students beforehand which my husband attended, but he isn't exactly the best reporter.

Thank you!

Reebs511
I have a question... since it's a conservatory program, does that mean you're not allowed to double major? Or is it just something that's difficult and hard to schedule, but is done? I'd love a BFA in dance and a BA in English, but I don't know if that's possible at Purchase...

I've done my best to read through the thread... if the answer to my question is out there, please point me in the right direction! Thanks! :angry:

I work at Purchase, in the Academic Affairs office, so hopefully I can help.

The way the BFA program is structured, it would be virtually impossible to double-major. Technique classes and dance theory courses take up 80% of a student's day and there's really only room for 1-2 non-dance courses a semester. I've been working here for 7 years and have never heard of a dance student double-majoring. There's also not an English major here - the closest is Literature.

Beginning in Fall 2010, there will be one Dean of the School of the Arts at Purchase, and Directors for each of the conservatories. The BFA and MFA programs in dance will not change, and it will still be a high-level, competitive conservatory program. We're currently searching for both the Dean of SOA and the Director of Dance. An email went out to the students last week explaining that this restructuring will allow the College to put more money into hiring faculty and increasing chances for students from different areas to collaborate. On a financial level, it'll provide increased opportunities for fundraising, which will (hopefully!) bring more money back to all of the arts programs.

Unfortunately I don't know when applicants get their audition results. Fingers crossed for your DD!

If anyone wants more info on the restructuring (or wants to know anything else about Purchase), feel free to PM me!

Ittyboo5

My daughter aduitioned in Baltimore on 1/15 and has not received anything yet but was told 2-3 weeks.

jaypee

I just got accepted to this program, and I auditioned in LA on the 24th of Jan. I am still debating whether to attend this program or not. trying to weigh the pros/cons and what not.

So i understand that not everybody is accepted into the ballet major after freshman year? I read that earlier, but just wanted to make sure if that was accurate..

2kids2

Congratulations jaypee. DD auditioned in Chicago but has not heard yet. Did you ask your questions to the department? They seem very open and honest.

ondine88

Freshman dance majors all take basically the same courses during that first year - their appropriate level of ballet, a modern class, and pointe / partnering if they are ballet focused in addition to various other classes , such as music for dance majors, and some others that I cannot think of off hand - it is a full schedule. After their freshman year students are invited into the ballet concentration.

DD is at Purchase and I agree that it is not feasible for a dance major to double major - don't forget there are also many hours of rehearsals to add to their schedule.

catlover

So, at the end of freshman year if a student is not invited into the ballet concentration, are they put into the modern/contemporary concentration?

As far as the auditions go, if you are not asked to do a solo, is it a safe assumption that you will not be accepted? Or are the solos used for some other purpose?

ondine88

Purchase Dance Corps at Jacob's Pillow

Purchase Dance Corps will be performing at Jacob's Pillow on August 24th - might be a nice way for prospective students to check out the program.

twiga

Wondered if there is any update on the hiring of the new Dean of the SOA and a Director of Dance? Wasn't clear from the website who was new...Also how have the students felt about the changes and/or been impacted by them?

We (dd & I) are hoping to visit this year - she is a Junior, and get a feel for the program. Anyone have a suggestion on a good time to visit? Unfortunately we can't make it for any performances as dd will be in her own performances or rehearsals at those times.

The program is clearly very competitive, with relatively low acceptance percentages. DD is very strong in classical ballet technique and likes contemporary, but hasn't had as much training in modern or contemp. ballet. At least for now she has her sights set on a professional ballet company (with both a classical and contemporary rep) rather than a modern/contemporary based company. There are very few ballet companies listed (not any for women) as job placements for recent graduates of the program - so we are still unsure how good of a fit this program will be. Any thoughts? ideas? relevant examples to share would be greatly appreciated as we navigate these unchartered (for us) waters!

Thanks!