Ballet Talk for Dancers

lillianna

Dancerwithwings, it is becoming more common for older dancers to attend the year round program at CPYB. A few years ago it was unheard of, but now has become accepted that students will choose to attend at an older age. It would be good for you to attend the Summer Intensive even though you will most likely have non-CPYB instructors. Taking a few weekend classes now , as has been suggested, would also be a good starting point. Don't let the low original level stop you. Often older dancers move up quickly during the year. A guy can also be able to dance in more advanced roles sooner than an older new girl might.

Deferring a year and giving it a try sounds like a good idea. Lots of luck.

Goldenhuny06

Thanks dancelyssa and msd053 I'm going to attend the summer intensive to see if this school is a good fit for me and I'm not worried about being in a lower level I just want to dance.I'm a late starter so when I first started dancing I had to take classes with little kids it doesn't bother me although its cute because they try to help me.

BalletPointe87

Goldenhuny, I'm in your same situation. I am seriously considering attending CPYB for a year as an in between stage for either a professional career or college. I was also a late starter so the low level/age difference isn't a problem and I'm going to attend the summer program as a kind of reference for year-round (though I've read on here the august 2 week is better for a view-point since there aren't all the guest teachers).

2marzipans

My DD is in her first year at CPYB's year-round program now. She has already graduated from hs, and started at CPYB in the fall following her graduation in 2005. She attended the 5-week summer program that summer (last summer) to gain a feel for the school. She, too, is trying to see if she'll get into a company or will need to go another direction. So far, she really likes it there and is happy with her progress. She has moved up in levels since she started. She is attending the 5-week program again this summer, and will return in the fall to CPYB by choice. She did not do the company auditions this year, feeling her technique is not quite where it should be yet. She does feels CPYB will help her get to that point. I wouldn't worry about assessing the year-round program if you go to the 5-week instead of the 2-week program. You will get a feel for the intensity and atmosphere there either way.

mylildancer

Does the school close for the rest of Aug. after the 2 week intensive?

2marzipans

I asked my DD, and we're pretty sure there are no dance classes after the August program ends until the placement classes for the year-round program in September. However, the offices might be open at some point during that break. I would e-mail or call the school to find out.

Goldenhuny06

I just wanted to say thanks for the info 2marzipans maybe I will meet your daughter there

2marzipans

To Goldenhuny06 -

You're welcome! Maybe you will meet my daughter - hope you have a great summer!

2marzipans

lillianna

CPYB does not have classes in August except for the 2 week course. That is about the only time the CPYB dancers have off all year and they and their families and the CPYB teachers all need a well deserved break. Classes resume right after Labor Day.

2marzipans

Thanks for clarifying about the August classes, lillianna. My daughter is looking forward to her time at home.

TuTuPrincess

Do they have a residency program? Or do you have to live near by to go to the school?

lillianna

There is no dormitory is that is what you are asking. Year round students not from the Carlisle area either find apartments or a host family. There is a strong system of host families at the school. The CPYB office staff can help you with that, if you are interested.

TuTuPrincess

Ok thank you very much! :)

americanlostinUK

i just made my college decision and i'm going to be attending dickinson college and going to CPYB year round! i'm really excited.

lillianna

Great college, great ballet training. Win win.