Ballet Talk for Dancers

labrador

pointeshoesewingmama, if possible, I would be interested in hearing more about your experience, if only in general terms. I realize this is not an SI thread. If not, I hope you don't go through such disappointments again. People have provided positive and negative feedback about CPYB. It is a prominent ballet school. We know that many families have relocated to the Carlisle area, or are considering it, to pursue a dream. The more people are able to share the better informed a decision people can make.

pointeshoesewingmama

My daughter felt that CPYB was only a money making machine after her second summer there. She felt like a number and reconsidered staying there year-round after she felt this way. Barn babies are the ones who get all the focus so we realized it was not a great place for year-round training. 

labrador

Thank you, pointeshoesewingmama. Believe it or not, we had a similar journey. After her first summer she was hoping a day would come when she could be a year round student there. After the second summer, we decided to take a break from CPYB.

Obviously, I am curious to see if other people have a similar view. After all, it is such a renowned ballet school. So, thanks again for sharing.

pointeshoesewingmama

Labrador, it’s interesting that you felt the same. I think the barn babies are the main focus there. It’s evident. My DD stayed at a ballet house and had a great experience there, but she will never return to CPYB. 

labrador

At the time, I thought I was crazy. How could I be the only one who doesn't return with raving reviews? 

labrador

I do want to add that a number of teachers were wonderful. My daughter was very grateful for the opportunity to learn from them. However, after observing and speaking candidly with other families there, we left CPYB with a strong impression that it is very difficult to become integrated within the student body, and the power players in the organization. I heard the same message from a number of people there, that my daughter would receive good instruction at CPYB but it might not be all that it could be. She would not be set up for success compared to those who had already established themselves as the favorites.

Things might change. I am curious and hopeful.

anyaaaa

does anyone know how much the ballet house is? i am interested in going next year!

ballethouse

anyaaaa,

It depends.  There are two houses with two different plans/costs.  BH1 caters to girls that attend the local High School and it is full service.  BH2 is for cyber school dancers and groceries and meals are not included.  Both are fully supervised. Both are in high demand.  Both are selective in recruiting new residents, but don't let that stop you from inquiring!   My suggestion is to contact the school and ask for their approved housing list.  There you will find contact information and details on many offered living situations.  Best of Luck!  

anyaaaa

if anybody is interested in attending the year round program, please let me know. i am in the search of a roommate for next year. anybody in search of roommate please reach out!

tobeaballerina

Just wanted to put my two cents in, I left last year after being there three years. The general atmosphere is very... dark? Depressed? Not sure what the right word would be but definitely not a happy one. Communication with the teachers, especially Alecia, is even difficult as an older student. I managed to get several meetings with Nick and Alecia only after I personally walked up and requested them. I know of many other dancers who tried just emailing and were never given one. This program taught me a lot, but at an emotional cost to say the least. However I walked away with the ability to speak up for myself. If you don’t have your own back, you most likely will be waiting twice as long to get casted or feedback on anything. 

There definitely are many benefits to the program as well. They will take you no matter how old you are or how much you know, something almost no other preprofessional school can claim. You get out what you put in. Seriously. Unless you’re branded a “favorite” from the get-go, you need to prove your place. I was able to really learn and understand technique through their staff, however many I had no longer teach or are there for a very limited number of classes and age group. Also keep in mind that their summer program is a COMPLETELY different experience from their year round program. We always joked that while other dancers had the busiest schedules during their summer, we had our easiest. 

I do know they’ve taken many steps to try and rearrange the way things run recently. Not sure how effective it’s been. 

labrador

Tobeaballerina, thank you for your honest feedback. It is such a prominent ballet school. It is good to have first hand experience. I do hope it becomes a more nurturing place. All the best to you.

mkerdk

Anyone looking for housing during this school year? We have a beautiful 5 bedroom house, 1/4 mile from studio. We are willing to host dancers. 

bambiballerina

Hi, first I would like to warn anyone who is going to CPYB and needs a host family (or if you are already there) DO NOT stay with "B" and "P."  It is an extremely unhealthy environment, there is no privacy, she looked through my and my roommate’s personal info, she screams at you for things you didn’t do, and both my roommate and I ended up getting extremely sick multiple times due to a combination of stress and poor diet there.  Technically the living space is a converted garage with next to no insulation and she wont let you touch the thermostat so it’s miserably cold in the winter.  Also "P" has been to court in the past for assault of a minor.  I am hopeful that they’ve been taken off the host list but they may try to find other ways to try and house girls.  If your kid is staying there get them out NOW.  

That being said I am a current student at CPYB and I have been happy with my training there.  It’s a very big school so you can’t expect to be coddled there and that’s just how it is.  I used to go to a smaller company affiliated school and did not get anywhere near as good training and was not mentored or given any support, and it was like that for many other girls.  That’s just the reality of ballet.  If you’re not a a prodigy from the get go you’re gonna have to be razor focused and work more than everyone else if you even want a chance, at any worthwhile ballet school.

Edited by GTLS Designs
Removed Full Names - Added Capitols to Acronyms

Dancingfeet

Hi bambiballerina !  I’m new to forum and my daughter currently attends CPYB but I’m already looking at options for summer and potentially next academic year, can you please share more information about B and P ?  Is this their “typical “ behavior?