Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Auditioning

bubble-tea

I was wondering if I should audition this month or wait a few months then send in a video audition for the National Ballet of Canada. I really want to get in, but I just started ballet and I'm 14. I think that if I do a video audition, I'll be more perpared, but they state on their website that they would like people to go the the audition if possible.

Guest ballet is me

I think you should go for it if you would really like to get into this summer program. But if you don't want to, then you should wait and do what your heart tells you to. Best of luck to you

• Administrators

bubble-tea, are you auditioning for the summer program or the full year school? When you say you "just started" ballet, does that mean like just this year? Have you checked to see if the school even has a program for beginners? I don't know if they do or not, but it's possible that they have one during the school year. Many Summer Intensive programs do not, however, have beginning levels, or, if they do they are for 7 and 8 year olds. The actual intensive programs are geared for students who have enough training to be ready for all day classes, with a lot of pointe work.

(ballet is me, on the Young Dancers board we prefer that the students do not give advice. After a moderator/teacher has answered, if you have anecdotal information about the topic, that is fine. But please don't tell someone what they should or should not do. I know you mean well, and you are new, so it's okay this time. :thumbsup: )

• Administrators

No one "commands" anyone here, ballet is me. :thumbsup: However, using the word "should", as in phrases like "I think you should do.....", or "...then you should wait....", make it advice.

I was wondering about audition for the full year school. The audition for the summer program and the full year school are the same because the summer program is a second audition for the full year school.

I e-mailed the school and they replied that the students going in at the Gr.10 level need to be at a comparable level to the students already in the school.

I've taken a year of ballet lesson in the past around 2 years ago and I've just started to take classes in September.

Edited by bubble-tea
  • Administrators

Bubble-tea, I'm really sorry, but it sounds to me like you have not had enough training for that program. They are going to expect a Grade 10 student to be at a very high level of training.