Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dorm Room....pointe?

Guest Bethie0420

Guest Bethie0420

Since I've been in college I've yet to go up on pointe. I made a promise with myself that no matter how busy I get I would go up...but I never did. With classes, studying, and trying to find a social outlet it's been quite tiring. So I really want to go up...and my room is the most convienient place. There are no practice rooms that are available to me since I am not a dance major...but my front "common" area is tile. I know this isn't the best place to practice but it's better than nothing. I'm without rosin and I do have a small bar. So should I just wet the bottem of my shoes and work on bar? Or should I not even try it at all....I'm scared of falling on the tile...I'm also scared of my ankels not being as steady as they should be....

beth

• Administrators

Beth, are you taking classes, even though you are not a dance major? If not, I do not suggest working on pointe at all. If you want to try to keep in ballet shape to some degree, just work at your barre, and some floor stretching. Don't jump on the tile! Pointe work is not recommended unless you are taking several technique classes a week.

Guest Bethie0420

Currently I'm taking pilates and jazz class. Ballet classes were not available the first semester at my college since I signed up so late. But I'm not taking any technique classes. I will get back into that during the Spring semester and on my winter break at my old studio. I'm soo excited I haven't done somthing like that in since college started!

beth