Ballet Talk for Dancers
missy12784

Gelsey Kirkland

kellyisthebestintheworld

Is there a video of when Gelsey Kirkland preformed Romeo and Juliet and The Sleeping Beauty with the Royal Ballet in 1986-ish? I would love to see it!

Mel Johnson

Gelsey only did one Aurora with RB, then her health broke again. I don't know how many Juliets she did, but I don't think many. I seriously doubt that they were ever recorded.

kellyisthebestintheworld

I meant her last Juliet with the RB the one in 1986. Her first preformance after she stopped being addicted to drugs. How come nobody recorded it? is it because they probably wouldn't let you?

Mel Johnson

Several things were operating. One, they couldn't be sure that she wouldn't crack up, two, video was not as common in 1986 as it is now, three, rights had to be negotiated...and so on.

kellyisthebestintheworld

oh ok, thanks very much! :)

dancergirl39

These posts are old...does anyone have updated information?

Edited by dancergirl39

spingirl
Several things were operating.  One, they couldn't be sure that she wouldn't crack up, two, video was not as common in 1986 as it is now, three, rights had to be negotiated...and so on.

This is something I'd been wondering about. I would have thought that somebody at the Royal Ballet would have been filiming at least part of those performances! It's very sad to think that they're lost forever. Could it be possible that there is some existing film that has never been released publicly (maybe for the reasons you mention above)? It would be nice to have a little hope a fragment could turn up on a "Best of..." type of video.

Lisa

Mme. Hermine

I'd love to know too; I saw one of the Sleeping Beauty's and it was wonderful. I have seen photographs, however.

Guest deanchat41

I know she is teaching for a week at a summer intensive with the Arkansas Festival Ballet in Little Rock this summer - in mid-June 2006.