Ballet Talk for Dancers

Private Lessons or Classes

Guest Jo

Just weighting up my options as a 24 year old female. Do I start Ballet by taking a few private lessons first, have private lessons and take an adult beginners class or just start taking classes? I would prefer to take the classes but I am concerned that I may find it too difficult to keep up at first. Does anyone have any suggestions based on their experiences?

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: aspire2dance ]

I think that probably you should ask the school(s) you are considering to start at.

Some schools offer classes / courses for total beginners, in which case it probably would be a good idea to join one of those - if it's the beginning of the term where you are, you might find classes that have just begun meeting.

On the other hand, some schools seem to only offer ongoing classes, in which case they might suggest that you take a few private lessons first to learn the very basics, if there is not a newcomer class available.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong - I base this information only on the situation in Finland and what I've read on this board about elsewhere.

Guest marvelous

If a beginning class is available, I would go with that. I joined a beginning class in the middle of the term, and although I didn't know all of the combinations the way the other students did, it gave me something to work on. Also, I feel that I learn more looking at and comparing myself to other students, than just being alone.

• Administrators

aspire2, I go along with Jaana on this. If the class is all just starting at the same time, that's great, but also hard to find, especially in the middle of a school year. If the class is ongoing, and you will be joining as a complete beginner, I would suggest some privates first if they are available, and of course if you can afford it! eek.gif

Yep. I'd do the class thing. Then, if you want, add some privates if you're really into it. I think most people fear they'll be "behind" the other students when they first start -- that the others are already pretty far ahead of them. That's not always true, so I wouldn't worry too much. And January is a great time to start. Tons of people make those dreaded New Years resolutions, including starting ballet class (which we all know is not a dreaded thing at all). You could be in very good company.

Guest newdancer

Aspire2dance,

I'm new to dancing myself..I posted the "my first ballet class". Well I am not a major slow learner..but when it comes to ballet, you are thinking about so much, well I am happy that I decided to take a few private classes now. I will join an on going adult ballet class at a studio, but at least I will know some basics. In my opinion, I agree with Mrs. Victoria Lee, take a few privates if you can. I have another private class this Friday, I am really looking forward to it. Good luck. Have fun.

cool.gif

• Administrators

That's okay, newdancer, but try Ms. Leigh smile.gif

Firstly, thanks to everyone who replied.

NewDancer I have read some of your previous posts. I got the impression that you were going to begin by taking an adult class. Do you mind if I ask what changed your mind?

I seem to be facing continual set backs with private lessons. The instructor was ill on the day we had arranged for my first lesson and I haven't been able to contact her since (about a week). At this rate I beginning to wonder if I will even get as far as learning the basics. frown.gif

The next adult class is on Thursday and I am very tempted. When I enquired about possible classes I explained my situation and asked for anything suitable. This class was recommended to me.

Is the case for some private lessons first as a matter of courtesy to others in the class, for my benefit only or a combination of both? confused.gif

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: aspire2dance ]

• Administrators

It's mostly for you, aspire2, however it is not essential. Most people start in classes. I just felt that if one has the means to do a few privates if they are starting in an ongoing class where some are not exactly beginners, it would be helpful.

Guest newdancer

Aspire2dance,

To answer your question, I was looking into going to ballet classes at a community college at the start of the new semester. I spoke to a really good friend of mine, whom was a dance major in college, she advised me that maybe starting with a studio would be good, since I could contiune taking ballet through the summer that way. I then started thinking about taking some private lessons before I started a class..and this was when I was still considering the college class. Just a little instruction would make me feel better before I walked into a ballet class.

Well I procrastinated and did not sign up for the college class in time, so it filled up with no room for me. Then last friday, I got the schedule for adult classes from my ballet teacher after my private lesson(at the studio). She told me that the women in the classes were really nice, and it is a supportive enviornment that she promotes. I decided with her advice to take a couple more private classes and then I can go into the ongoing adult class. I could have gone right into the adult class, but I really wanted some private instruction since I was so new. Yes, I'm still a little intimadated about going to the group classes, but at least I'll know the basics by name.

So I hope this helps you. Don't get discouraged, its just your excitment to dance. I am itching to dance again myself!!!! Keep trying that teacher, or find a new one. If you know a little ballet, then maybe you would feel comfortable in going to an ongoing adult ballet class. I just needed the help.

Good luck!!

Newdancer