Ballet Talk for Dancers
Philip

Basil Thompson, Ballet Master Dies

Philip

Crossposted.

I am very saddened because one of the great ballet masters who was at one time, my friend, mentor and coach, has died. You know your getting old when the recommendation list on your resume shrinks, because your references die.

If I had known he was here in VA at the school of the arts in Lynchburg I'd have gone to visit him in heart beat. I'm very saddened right now.

-Philip S. Rosemond

http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/news/ce...-celebrity_heds

Edited by Philip

Mel Johnson

And a welcome to you, Philip, to Ballet Talk for Dancers, although I wish it were under less sad circumstances.

I, too, knew Basil as a colleague, friend, and one helluva teacher. His seemingly inexhaustible knowledge of repertoire and his ability to coach and to get the best out of dancers were some of the things that made the Joffrey what it was in the days of City Center in the 60s through the early 80s.

My sincere condolences are extended to his family and to his other friends.

Guest PointShuPrincess

That's so sad that someone in our ballet world has died. I'm very sorry to everyone who knew him and loved him. :wink:

Funny Face

I just wanted to let you all know that it's not too late to express condolences to the family via www.basilthompson.net/guestbook (I was aware of this via Milwaukee Ballet ties). You may also want to read others' tributes to him at this site.