Ballet Talk for Dancers
Guest Doomsdoll

Ballet Schools in Indiana

finallykf

Do you have a preferred style of ballet? If Vaganova, I agree with Indiana Ballet Conservatory. If Balanchine I suggest the Indianapolis School of Ballet. The AD there is also an instructor at Indiana University and it is quite common for students from IU to drop in from time to time.

balletmouse

Agreed with above. Indiana Ballet Conservatory has a handful of professional teachers/coaches who work with ballet companies and universities around the world. If you want to pursue a professional career, it would be an excellent opportunity.

Indiana is a hub for unbelievable master classes and galas (Indianapolis City Ballet and Youth America Grand Prix). Definitely check into Indianapolis City Ballet ICB) and Indiana Ballet Conservatory (IBC) for these additional opportunities. Good luck!

finallykf

Someone just asked on the Parents of Boys forum about a good Vaganova pre-pro school for her son near Carmel, Indiana as they might be relocating there. I just recognized that I posted here about a year ago! Definitely Indiana Ballet Conservatory. You can allow your life to be as consumed by ballet as you want there. They have "normal" after school classes but they also have a full day program as well. They provide opportunities for participation in YAGP, if you choose, and their students always do very well with many passing onto the finals in NYC, placing there, and receiving wonderful scholarships to outstanding company affiliated schools around the world.

LJens

finallykf,

Thank you!!!

mumof5fishes

Hi all,
We're possibly moving back to Indiana after living in Australia for almost 15 years. Need advice on ballet schools in Indianapolis for my DD. She is in a PPT school right now. Studying RAD and Vaganova but moving to just Vaganova now.

I see that IBC and IBS have both been mentioned in the past few years. Any new thoughts on those two schools?

Thanks!

Butter

Hi Mumof5fishes,

If you're committed to Vaganova, I'd go with IBC. We're at Indianapolis School of Ballet (Balanchine) and have had an incredible experience- it's downtown.   We also like it because it's connected to the professional company, and my daughter is taught by working ballerinas.  If your daughter is more interested in YAGP, IBC focuses heavily on competition. I highly recommend touring both, as they have a very different feel.  We're lucky to have so many incredible ballet opportunities in Indy!

Edited by dancemaven
Removed direct comparisons of programs/schools per BT4D Rules and Policies.