Ballet Talk for Dancers
EmilyPdancer

Who do you think was the most influential dancer?

Gina Ness

I believe the original question was "dancer", not choreographer...Some celebrated dancers will also be remembered as great choreographers. I'm thinking of Michael Fokine...I don't believe that Balanchine achieved the same stature as "dancer" that he holds as "choreographer" and father of American ballet...

Mel Johnson

When he was dancing was a strange time. Right out of the Russian Revolution and Civil War. He was a remarkable character dancer, but very few will remember this, as Diaghilev put him right to work as a choreographer.

Gina Ness

Well, I guess my vote would be for Anna Pavlova...This from the program of her farewell tour of America: "Adieu, Pavlowa! America will see her no more after this farewell tour. In future she will appear only in short annual seasons in London and Paris. All work and no play has been the order of her career in the past. In the future it will be mostly vacations with travel for pleasure only. Her beautiful home in Golders Green, London, which has seen her only for short summer visits, will be her real home, and she will be free to come and go, to sojourn in Italy, Spain, Russia, France or elsewhere, according to her fancy. She is beginning to play in the midst of her prime. No artist has worked harder nor more sincerely than Pavlowa, and work has kept her young. She will not be inactive in the future,---just free. She has won all the honors possible in many lands, and her trophy room at home is a marvel of riches. Like Alexander the Great, Pavlowa has no new worlds to conquer, but she does not weep."

nikki00

For me, Alicia Markova is the most influential dancer. I've read numerous books on her, and seen videos of her dancing (I've obviously never had the chance to see her dance live as I'm only 16..) It seems she was the first to really get England on the 'ballet board' along with Margot Fonteyn, but Ms Markova was there first.

That doesn't make sense, but I don't really have a reason. She just IS to me.

Mel Johnson

Did you know that Mrs. Marks (Dame Alicia's mum) used to bill her daughter in music halls as "The Miniature Pavlova"? :)

Siegelife

Gelsey in Nut. Can never wait until Nut season to keep it out and watch fifty times!

Guest dancer04

What about Pierina Legnani? Without her I don't see a very good chance of the 32 fouettes in Swan Lake.

Guest Lovebird

In England, I would say the most influential dancer was and is, of course, Margot Fonteyn. Every girl in England that begins ballet lessons knows about Fonteyn. She is a national idol.

Guest Nadezhda Alliluyeva

The memory of whoever has had the most influence on modern ballet, particularly that of the American persuasion, should be denigrated rather than honored.

Mel Johnson

The world rejoices that you are a "former student."

Guest livebreathedance

in my opinion , this really isn't a question one can answer with only one person's name because there are so many prima ballerinas and premier danseurs and prominent choreographers of the past who were very influential for a variety of reasons.

The people who have influenced me the most (in no particular order)are Vaslav Nijinsky , George Balancine , Alicia Alonzo , Alessandra Ferri , Margot Fonteyn , Anthony Dowell , Maurice Bejart , Peter Schafuss , Irina Jakobsen , Natalia Markarova , Natalia Besmertnova and Antoinette Sibley.

Guest livebreathedance
The memory of whoever has had the most influence on modern ballet, particularly that of the American persuasion, should be denigrated rather than honored.

i know that we're all entitled to our own opinions here and to some extent i applaud that - however in your case , when you're just speaking out of what probably is ignorance , i can't let it go.

Maybe you should go out and see some modern ballets or watch some footage .There is some truly brilliant work out there of that persuasion .

My day's rehersal entailed work by Kylian , Ulm and Forsythe .... all modern ballet choreographers , and in my opinion it was great to dance and to watch.I have a huge amount of respect for their creations. If you are saying that people such as these should be denigrated then you most certainly must not really know what you're talking about and you should probably go and educate yourself so that next time you post you'll have something worth sharing with others.

maybe you should be denigrated....

Mel Johnson
maybe you should be denigrated....

I already did that. And derogated. And disparaged. :)

Victoria Leigh

And deleted, as a member of this board! :)