Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Kate B

Nerves

Kate B

Has anyone ever been to an osteopath? I may have a trapped nerve in my back which is creating a weakness and my pilates instructor reccommended I went to see an osteopath, but I'm not sure what they do or if it would be beneficial for me. In the media here there has been a lot of bad publicity about them, but that's not always the best source of advice!

Guest tinydancer

Hi Kate, I've never been but here's some info:

osteopath:

Miller-Keane Medical Dictionary, 2000

(os´te-o-path´´) a practitioner of "osteopathy" OSTEOPATHY.

osteopathy

Miller-Keane Medical Dictionary, 2000

(os´´te-op´ah-the) 1. any disease of a bone. 2. a system of therapy utilizing generally accepted physical, medicinal, and surgical methods of diagnosis and therapy, and emphasizing the importance of normal body mechanics and manipulative methods of detecting and correcting faulty structure. adj., osteopath´ic.

Osteopathy is founded on the theory that the body is capable of producing the remedies necessary to protect itself against disease and other toxic conditions when it is in normal structural relationship and has favorable environmental conditions and adequate nutrition.

During the past few decades, many changes have been made in the practice of osteopathy, bringing it closely into line with conventional medical practices. While still holding to the tenet that the body is a unit that possesses the inherent ability to overcome most curable diseases, osteopaths recognize that physical, chemical, and nutritional factors influence the state of health and that medicines and surgery are necessary in the treatment of disease. Disorders that can be recognized are treated as distinct diseases, and manipulation may or may not be used as an adjunct to other treatment.

I hope that helps a little.

Mel Johnson

I have a friend who's an osteopath, and I've not heard any negative information about the discipline, except maybe that they charge too much, but he's an M.D. in addition to the D.O., so he's got a tremendous store of medical training behind him. I think you can use an osteopath without fear.

Guest Danni

From experience, I would say it is safe and CAN be very effective. However, some practitioners, for whatever reason, will try to convince you to keep coming even if they can't help (this could be said of many other practitioners too - I'm not just having a go at osteo's). The solution, IMHO is to ask up front how long it is likely to take to see an improvement (ballpark) and whether the osteo will advise you of when you should see an MD. Best of luck - trapped nerve - ouch!

Danni