Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest haylee

big chest

Guest haylee

can anyone give me some ideas to reduce the bouncing of a big chest i dont want to wear a bra and sports bra as it is too bulky. Can you help please

Victoria Leigh

Sorry, Haylee, I don't know of any answer other than to wear a bra or sports bra. It is definitely necessary for anyone who has a fairly well developed bust.

Xena

Hi Haylee, not being given much by God in that area I can't really sympathise, but I can say that you could try taping them down.

I am not too sure exactly how, but I know models, actresses do it, but I am not sure how it would work during a ballet class getting hot etc.

It may be more worthwhile going into your local dance store and saying that you want something to minimize bounce, and they may be able to offer some advice on a particular brand.

Jeanette biggrin.gif

LEX

Haylee,

I am not that well endowed, unfortunately, but i do remember making "tight stops" when I was a teenager. We took an old pair of tights, cut out the crotch, cut off the legs, and then tailored it to be low-cut enough and thin-strapped enough to fit under leotards. It provided enough support in class, and we could even get away with wearing it sometimes under costumes. They now have a line of flesh-colored bodysuits and leotards just for that purpose, that are meant to support and be worn under leotards. I always see them in Discount Dance Supply. Also, Target and places like that sell camisole-type bras that are better that regular sports bras--they are like the top half of a leotard. Breast ...I mean BEST of luck!

Guest Juliecute

I have the same problem, and unfortantly have no answers either. I dont think anything works to totally stop bouncing, not even a sports bra over a really good minimizer.(Not to mention the fact that it get REALLY hot!) Now i just wear a really good minizer under my leotard, although its really annoying to have straps sticking out of every leotard.

Guest Juliecute

Also, I find it really hard to pull up with so much weight on my chest, do you have the same problem? Its really annoying, and it makes it so much harder to find my center. Now i know why all dancers need to have small chests!

Danielle DeVor

If you do use tape please be careful not to do it too tight. You could end up cutting off the cirulation. A probably safer alternative would be an ace bandage. Other than that though, those of us with big chests just have to find a way to make things work. So far they really haven't developed anything better for support with movement, at least not that I have found.

Guest piccolo

I definitely have had to work to find leotards that work just right. My favorite leotard right now has a slight seam under the breast area and also has wide straps that start like normal in the front but then cross in the back. This seems to hold it all in while maintaining a good shape.

As far as costumes go, I pretty much always sewed a bra into it.

Hope this helps. rolleyes.gif

Juliet

You can always sew a bra into your leotard,if it's for performance, as well as into a costume. There are many leotards now that are made with shelf-bras and if this is not enough support (I know it's not a lot, really) you are better off just wearing a black bra under a black leotard, and buying leotards which do not have low backs.

For costumes, you can get a long-line bra or a low back one and tack it to your costume. I also believe that Ace bandages work far better than duct tape.

Victoria Leigh

Thanks, Juliet! I knew you would come through with the answer for this one, as of course I have no clue! rolleyes.gif

Guest luna

Dear bigger-breasted ladies,

I can totally sympathize with you! I have danced since I was a little girl (I'm 34 now), and always wanted to become a professional dancer. Unfortunately, my genetics did not cooperate. Although I was blessed with great turnout and musicality, my boobs kept growing and growing and growing...by college I was a 36 "D" cup. I still kept dancing anyway, for fun and exercise, although I hated to look at myself in the mirror during petite allegro! I always had to wear heavy-duty minimizer bras, and had a hard time finding leotards to wear that would cover them. Once I got out of college and starting working a more sedentary job, I gained some weight--not a huge amount, but enough to make me swell to a "DD" in some bra brands. I had thought of breast reduction surgery for years, but didn't look into it because of fear (scalpel, anestheasia, cost). Eventually, however, my ever-increasing back, neck, and shoulder pain caused me to mention it to my general physician. She agreed that I was an ideal candidate for surgery, and said that insurance would probably even pay for it because I was so out of proportion (5'4'', size 8 pants, 12 or larger blouses...you get the idea). That was in December of 2001. By January I had met with the plastic surgeon and my insurance had provisionally approved the procedure. I went into the hospital on Feb. 7th, 2002, and came home on the 8th a happier person! The doctor took out approximately a pound of tissue out of each breast. Gravity had been taking its toll, too, so he also "lifted" my nipples so that they look out instead of down, as they used to. I am now a small "C" cup. Yes, I have scars, but they have faded a lot already, and the improvement in my level of back pain makes the marks inconsequential to me. IN addition, my posture has improved, men no longer speak to my chest, I can dance better, and I can wear pretty leotards! My only regret is that I did not have this procedure done years ago! I know that surgery is not for everyone, but I just wanted to post my experience for other overly-endowed gals.

Guest sidwich

At 5'2" and a 34DD, the only thing that really helped me is a very solidly built leotard with a decent shelf bra in it and a full bra underneath it (sorry!). I've never been able to get away with anything less than a full bra, so I've always worn leotards with full backs and shoulders. The current leotards that I wear by capezio have a pretty well built shelf bra in them, and I've found that it helps a lot.

Guest luna

I almost forgot to brag how much better my pirouettes are now that I am not top heavy any more!

Question for previous poster sidwich: at 5'2" and a with a DD cup, do you have back and shoulder pain?

Guest sidwich
Originally posted by luna

Question for previous poster sidwich: at 5'2" and a with a DD cup, do you have back and shoulder pain?

Funny you should ask that. This morning I woke up with pain in my right shoulder (I think I just slept on it wrong, though). I don't usually have back or shoulder pain. I used to have some back pain, but a couple of years ago I started doing regular abdominal work, and it helped *a lot*. The back pain is pretty unusual now.

My pirouettes however are quite atrocious. :)

Guest luna

sidwich,

I'm glad you don't have pain as a result of your build. You're lucky.

With the pirouettes, it's tough to spin when most of your weight is "upstairs," I know! It's been six months since my surgery, and I'm just now feeling my "muscle memory" giving in, allowing me to change my center of gravity. I always compensated for my bust by pulling back slightly to balance my weight--I've had to reeducate myself to acknowledge my true center now!

By the way, I found a great looking Mirella leotard online that has a built-in underwire bra--style 222L.

luna