Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Xena

Leaving....:-(

Xena

HI everyone,

Just had to say that I had my PhD viva on Friday, and I passed! just a few corrections to do. But this Thursday will be last ballet lesson in England, as in two weeks time I shall be residing in San Francisco instead...

so it's going to be a bit sad saying goodbye to everyone, my family and friends. I hope I find a ballet school that I like and where I can finish these RAD grades at last!

I'll keep you all informed!

Dr. Xena! :-)

Victoria Leigh

Dr. Xena! How lovely, and Congratulations on passing!

While it is always hard to leave home, you have so much to look forward to, with a new life in the great city of San Francisco! I'm sure you will find excellent classes there, and we all wish you the very best of luck in your new position. Please do keep us informed!

Alexandra

Congratulations, Dr. Xena! Dancing Dr. Xena!! San Francisco is a terrific city for dance. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding a good studio -- and you'll have lots and lots to see. Good luck (and keep posting.)

Mel Johnson

Good show on the doctorate, Xena! We all look forward to having you on these shores, and I'm sure you'll have very little difficulty in locating an RAD school to complete your Grades.

Xena

Thanks everyone, I feel so free at the moment. Like a huge weight has been lifted. Everything seems so new and fresh its really weird. I am looking forward to dancing for the first time without worrying about exams or anything...wow is all I can say. XX

Guest beckster

Just in case you didn't get my email or I don't see you at ballet ... Congrats on getting your PhD and best of luck in the US!

xB

Guest ralphsf

Xena:

Here's some San Francisco schools I recommend:

Academy of Ballet - 2121 Market St. (near Church)

415/552-1166 An excellent school led by Richard Gibson. The facility is also used by professionals at SF Ballet and Smuin BalletSF who take class there.

San Francisco Dance Center - 50 Oak Street (near Van Ness) 415/863-3360 A huge facility with all kinds of dance. The ballet classes with Arturo Fernandez are recommended. This facility is also the home of Lines Ballet, the best chamber ballet company in the US. Might be moving to a new location soon.

Shan-Yee Poon. 403 Arguello Blvd near Clement. 415/387-2695 Ex-royal ballet school dancer. Has some good teachers.

Other schools that are mostly modern/world dance based are ODC and Dance Mission.

------------------

cheers,

Ralph

Guest Manhattnik

San Francisco Dance Center - 50 Oak Street (near Van Ness) 415/863-3360 A huge facility with all kinds of dance. The ballet classes with Arturo Fernandez are recommended. This facility is also the home of Lines Ballet, the best chamber ballet company in the US. Might be moving to a new location soon.

I try to take class here during business trips to SF. It's a neat, low-key setting. I only hope it remains open....

Xena

Thanks, I will be sure to check all those places out. The RAD have also given me the name of a RAD school. It is in Menlo Park. I cannot remember her name or the name of the school! I hope I can find the info the RAD gave me.

x

Kate B

Congratulations, Dr Xena! A PhD Is such an amazing achievement - almost as tricky as RAD Elementary! (Only joking!)

Mr Robin

Dr Xena - congratulations! Enjoy San Francisco, I hear it's an amazing city. Good luck, Robin.

Guest ralphsf

Xena:

Are you going to live in San Francisco proper, or somewhere else in the Bay Area. Menlo Park is about 40 mins drive south of the city.

cheers,

Ralph

Xena

Well I will be living in SF itself, but working at Stanford University..hence I was thinking about trying Menlo Park, so that I could go after work. I can't beleive how expensive housing is though! and I thought I was paying a lot here..so perhaps I won't have enough money for ballet! oh well..I'll just have to cut down on other things..like eating and drinking :-)