Ballet Talk for Dancers

stretching

Guest lil_dancer

Guest lil_dancer

(sorry if this is in the wrong topic)

When you do the stradle strech (sitting, legs out in a 'V' with the sive of the 'V' depenting on your felixibility) and you stech foward and try and get your, head or chest, or stomach on the ground them you roll though, ( You strech foward, then while still foward bring your legs around your back till their together again and you are lieing on your stomach) Is doing a roll through bad for you?

Sorry if you an't understand my explantion, it was kind of hard to explain! :blushing:

• Administrators

No, I don't think it's harmful, but not sure what it does for you either :blushing: Better to try to get the straddle to a better position that a "V"! When you roll forward you usually turn in the legs, so just not sure how valid this might be and what it accomplishes.

for me, i find that it helps release any tightness in my hips because you have to relax to roll through, which helps me get a better stretch in the regular straddle position...

Guest lil_dancer

But are you really turning your legs in, because in order to do a roll through you need to have your stomach/chest area on the ground while in the stradle strech (when doing this part I always make sure my legs are not turned in) then when you push your legs back your hips are on the ground and your legs would then be either stright or turned out...

sorry if this is really confusing it's just a thought! :flowers:

• Administrators

Try sitting against the wall, with your heels touching the wall, in as wide a "V" as you can do, then use your hands behind you on the floor to push yourself in as close to the wall as you can get. Or, lie down on the floor with your derrière against the wall, open your legs and let gravity take them down as far as they will go. Stay there a while. Read a book :flowers:

Sorry to kind of jump into this here, but I figured it would be better than making a separate thread. Anyway, is it normal to have hip pain when doing the stretch with your legs up on the wall? Because I don't feel any stretch in my legs, but it hurts my hips pretty badly.

• Administrators

IvoryCiara, if it hurts your hips, don't do it! Feeling a stretch is one thing, pain is another. Pain means stop. :flowers:

• Administrators

Just adding a note to say please be sure you are well warmed up when you do any of these stretches! That is very important, especially if you are not naturally extremely flexible.

I have been doin that stretch for a while and have not gotten injured or do I kno anyone that has been! Im pretty sure that it is just fine!