Ballet Talk for Dancers
FouetteFanatic

Nutmeg Conservatory

DobbinsND

My DS attended the summer programs at Nutmeg for the past two years and loved it. He is currently a year-round boarding student. Nutmeg has not participated in YAGP in recent years, although there was a regional competition that at least one dancer attended (and won gold at). The school is like a family and the kids are treated well, with lots of supervision. Security is of high importance. This summer, the SI students will have the opportunity to perform at Jacob's Pillow (which is an amazing experience). Not much else for field trips during the summer. Quite frankly, the kids dance a lot during the SI, and have little time for extra-curriculars. Even if they did, they'd rather be sleeping because they get tired. But the kids all love it and always want to come back! Nutmeg graduates go on to dance in great companies. There are Nutmeg graduates in NYCB, SF Ballet, Boston Ballet, Miami City Ballet, NC Dance Theater, the Joffrey Ballet...to name a few. One of last year's graduates is a trainee at Boston Ballet this year.

balletzandy

Hi everyone :) I'm considering auditioning for Nutmeg's year round program this year (I would hypothetically be attending for the 2015-2016 school year). Does anybody know what in particular they look for? I mean every school looks for potential and solid technique but I was more wondering if they have a certain aesthetic. For example, some pre-professional schools only accept people with incredibly arched feet or insane hyperextension. Any tips or extra information would be much appreciated, it seems like a great school!

Edited by balletzandy

Victoria Leigh

Balletzandy, I don't think that most schools have aesthetics quite that extreme. Most are open to students with good potential who are very well trained, focused, intelligent, musical and love to dance. :) The only way to know is to try. Do not go in with a pre-conceived idea of not having exactly what someone is looking for, because you can't know that.

parisxoxo99

Does anyone know how many people get accepted in comparison to how many audition each year? I'm auditioning either way, but I want to know how good of a shot I have :)

Also, I'm wondering if they're strict on body type? I have some of the aspects of a ballet body.. but not all, and I don't know if this will be a problem.

Any feedback would be super helpful! Thanks in advanced.

Victoria Leigh

Read my post just above yours, parisxoxo99. :wink:

vagansmom

I strongly suggest that you go to Nutmeg's website and take a look at all the photos to get an idea of body type accepted. Nutmeg is a terrific school. My daughter attended there as a day student for 14 years, beginning at age 4.

backstagemom

Do you have to attend the SI to get into their year round program, or can you arrange a private audition?

Taxi dance

Does anyone have recent experience with Nutmeg's residential high school boarding program?

carlyeeeeee

Seeking new info for this program! I am very interested in their year round program for my junior and senior years. I am curious about how much dancing there is in a day, how SI auditions are handled in the winter, and recent alumni. Thanks!

carlyeeeeee

I was just accepted! I am so thrilled!

vagansmom

Congratulations, Carlyeeeeee! I will probably get to see you dance! I still attend a couple Nutmeg performances each year. And cry like a baby, silly me, at all the memories.

backstagemom

Is it too late to audition and get accepted into the post grad program?

dancemaven

I'm sure the best information would come from contacting the program folks for that.

Boydancermom

Carlyeeee....our 14 year old son just got accepted too.....congrats!!!! It's an amazing place.

DobbinsND

My DS has boarded at Nutmeg for the past 2 years. Carlee - In the year round program, the students have CAP (Keystone online academic program) in the mornings and dance from about 2:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. each day (with a break for supper). Fridays are done after supper and Saturdays dancing runs from 10 am to 3:00 p.m. Sundays free. You are on your own for SI auditions. My son has been fortunate to ride along with classmates to Boston and NY for auditions. Others send in video auditions. I don't have the complete list, but I know that recent grads have signed contracts with Charlotte Ballet, Richmond Ballet and Pennsylvania Ballet. My son loves it there and we couldn't be happier with our decision to send him to Nutmeg. I am happy to answer any other questions you have :)

Edited by DobbinsND