Ballet Talk for Dancers

Nutmeg Conservatory

FouetteFanatic

Thank you!  I may take you up on that...trying to prepare her to go in under a month is a little....nerve wracking!

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vagansmom

• Little Pointe Bird

• dolphingirl792

• 3elizajane

My daughter has just completed her first year there. I cannot say enough good things about the resident program.  Her ballet training is excellent, the academics are really what you make of it but they will guide you and help you and the sense of family there is very special.  As my daughter looked for summer programs she auditioned and was accepted at several programs.  But she just happened to look at Nutmegs summer program and determined that she would get more training there than if she went away.  So she will stay through the summer and be back in the fall.  On another not they are handling this COVID issue brilliantly.  It simply moved to zoom.  Feel free to ask me if you have any specific questions.

• 1 month later...
soltova

Eliz, I am reaching out to Nutmeg to see if they will consider my daughter again this year (or let her audition late) for next year. She got into the year-round program last year but things changed and she stayed with her home program. Now however we have moved countries and everything has changed drastically and we are left with no options because of the crisis. Do you know where they list their tuition for the different parts of the program (ie., academics v. dance)? Do they separate the two or do you pay one amount for both programs?  It may be a long shot that they even respond given how late we are but with all this craziness you never know.

Edited by dancemaven
Removed full quote of immediately preceding post.
Little Pointe Bird

Soltova, Nutmeg changed its website sometime late last fall and I think they took off the tuition information. For year-round, there's a total tuition fee that they'll give you a discount on if you bring your own education program (at least how it was done last year). They work closely with two online tutorials. One, Laurel Springs, is not included in the academic costs. I believe the other is - thus their willingness to cut off a certain amount if you bring your own. 

I know they're really busy now trying to keep up virtual offerings but also prepare for an onsite intensive. But they're usually very responsive. Please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Soltova, we are all waiting to see how everything turns out for the fall.  Your best bet will be to call them and discuss what you are looking for.  They are very response and it is absolutely well worth it.  The training is excellent.

soltova

Littel Pointe Bird, I finally got a reply from Lori at Nutmeg and she is basically welcome for the fall but the director wants her to take a class with her online. This is great and gives us a good option. My concern is that when I look at their alumni list, I don't see a single name (maybe one) that has gone on to dance as a profession after 2009. Was there a shift in training around that time? Is the training still good enough but they are not attracting the type of dancers companies want or have they just forgotten to update the list? I am not asking these questions to be snarky - I just want to make sure my daughter has the best training in the best environment. I think Nutmeg definitely wins in environment category! Looks wonderful.

Little Pointe Bird

Soltova, I'm not sure if it's that the site hasn't been updated or not. While there's a legitimate point that not seeing a list of dancers that went on to dance professionally can give pause, the training is excellent. Personally, I think some schools are just better at marketing where their dancers went off to than others. 

My daughter transferred to Nutmeg from a very small studio, that had excellent teachers. My incredibly not scientific measuring stick to determine if the studio was training her to compete among dancers from bigger schools, was how well she did when intensive season came around. And she was consistently accepted to larger intensives. So it made me realize that, while it's great to have the prestigious school name on the CV, it's the training that matters. And the auditions are the great equalizer.

My daughter has nothing but good things to say about the training. What I love is you can see how much the instructors care about the dancers; that all of the instructors had their own professional ballet careers - thus understand where the dancers are trying to go.  And I feel the instructors are very honest with the dancers.

• 1 month later...
soltova

Thank you Little Pointe Bird,

This is such a crazy time and my daughter was offered a spot, and while we are convinced that it would be the most nurturing environment for her, she has a couple of other choices now too that are weighing in IF we feel that we can send her. Nutmeg has been very generous and understanding. We are in Europe in an area with 0 Coronavirus cases since early May so it does feel daunting to send her back to the US - perhaps the European option she has will be what we end up with...

Little Pointe Bird

I totally understand, Soltova. We're getting a lot of good information from Nutmeg on how they plan to keep the students safe. But there's still a lot more I don't know. Zero cases of corona into what we're experiencing here in the U.S. has to feel overwhelming. I don't blame you.  My daughter has ambitions to dance overseas and right now, it's hard to even travel within the states b/c of covid restrictions. Best of luck to you on your decision.

soltova

Goo luck Little Pointe Bird! and I'm happy to share European alternatives if you PM me when you need them

Bavalay

"Moderator hat on", soltova please do share European alternatives with the community in the appropriate threads as there are other dancers who may also want to know this information.  Thank you!