Ballet Talk for Dancers
FouetteFanatic

Nutmeg Conservatory

Bee

Haha, thank you for all the information BW!

Cyprus is beautiful but it resembles a village - everyone knows each other by name, and it's basically all beaches and ancient ruins! It is also very relaxed and slow-paced, no one ever seems to be in a hurry! Which is a good thing I guess, but inconvenient at times.

Redstorm

BW: It sounds like paradise! Why would anyone ever want to leave?

Bee: If you ever want to switch places for a while...I will stay in Cyprus and you can come here to California! :pinch::mondieu:

It sounds like just the place I could relax at! :grinning:

nlkflint

Does anyone go there?

Yes my daughter is currently a resident there.

Is it similar to the Harid Conservatory?

Not sure what you mean, exactly.

Do the students go to public school? for a full day?

Yes, they go for a full day, high school starts about 7:20 and ends about 2ish. Then back to Nutmeg for dance starting about 3. There are a few doing internet schooling, and some post-grad students who are done with high school.

Do you have to attend the summer program to attend the year-around program?

No--you can apply for year-round and not attend summer, and you can attend summer and ask to be considered for year-round. And you can attend summer knowing you will be staying for year-round.

How many students are accepted?

There are about 120 for SI. Year round numbers include both residents and students who live locally and attend. I am not certain of the total numbers, but there are about 50-60 in the upper three levels, with about half residents and half who live in the vicinity. Some who live in the vicinity have families there who moved there so that their dancers could train.

...Please, if you have ANY answers, let me know!! Thanks!

BW

Absolutely! We could trade from here in the suburbs of NYC, too. :wub:

Your welcome, Bee. :thumbsup:

born2bprima

OH MY GOODNESS!

:wub: **IF YOU GO TO NUTMEG AND I GO TO NUTMEG I ALREADY VOLUNTEER MYSELF TO GO HOME WITH YOU OVER CHRISTMAS BREAK!!!***

:thumbsup:

WOW! That is amazing....You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful place!

tinkerbell22

I was wondering if anyone who attends Nutmeg year round could tell me about their own personal experience. Do you like Torrington High School and is it hard juggling school work with the Nutmeg class curriculm? Do the girls in the dorm get along or is it a very competitve atmosphere? How many hours do you dance as an average per week?

Do you plan on attending Nutmeg again next year? Why or Why not?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I really appreciate it.

Tinkerbell22

born2bprima

Whats the weather like in the summer in Torrington?

Guest sarez

Typical New England summer, humid 70's-80's usually. Sweatshirts and umbrellas are definately a necessity though :) .

born2bprima

Sarez:

Thanks...I would havE planned for something WAY different! :) Did you go to Nutmeg last summer?

Guest sarez

Yes, I went last summer. Too bad the weather isn't like in Cali... :unsure:

born2bprima

How did you enjoy your summer sarez?

BW

There've been a number of posts in the Nutmeg SI thread about their year round program. Ideally, it would be much better if discussions about their year round program took place on here.

Here is part of a very helpful post that nlkflint made on 2/17/05 in which she describes the year round schedule:

Do the students go to public school? for a full day?

Yes, they go for a full day, high school starts about 7:20 and ends about 2ish. Then back to Nutmeg for dance starting about 3. There are a few doing internet schooling, and some post-grad students who are done with high school.

Do you have to attend the summer program to attend the year-around program?

No--you can apply for year-round and not attend summer, and you can attend summer and ask to be considered for year-round. And you can attend summer knowing you will be staying for year-round.

How many students are accepted?

There are about 120 for SI. Year round numbers include both residents and students who live locally and attend. I am not certain of the total numbers, but there are about 50-60 in the upper three levels, with about half residents and half who live in the vicinity. Some who live in the vicinity have families there who moved there so that their dancers could train.

...Please, if you have ANY answers, let me know!! Thanks!

I've just merged Bee's "Acceptance into Nutmeg's Residency Program" thread into this one :happy: so that we can keep all the discussions about the year round program here in one place.

Edited by BW

MomOfDancer

My daughter started at Nutmeg the summer after her sophmore year (she is a senior now). She really likes Torrington High School and found it an easy transition from her previous high school. My other daughter (not a dancer) started at the high school as a sophmore and also really likes the high school. Some of the girls in the dorms home school, but the majority this year go to the high school. There are one or two girls in the dorm this year who are freshmen and several more locals who are (I'm not sure exactly how many but I could find out in the next day or so if you'd like me to :) ) .

There are approximately 18 girls/5 boys in my dd's level and around the same number in the other levels (I think her level is the largest right now).

Edited to say: I hope it was OK to answer a year-round question in the SI forum! :sweating:

born2bprima

How many levels are there for the year round program at Nutmeg? I heard that it was only divided into two levels :) ? Could this possibly be true?

Bee

Hmm, but they're Vaganova system, and this cannot possibly be divided into 2 levels? Also, on the website, their graduates are listed:

Nikki Cuozzo: Ten Year Pre-Professional Program

Emily Parkinson: Three Year Residency Program

Caitlin Pennington : Three Year Residency Program

Kristen Ni: Two Year Residency Program

Dustin Snoddy: TwoYear Residency Program

Lisa Fritzgerald : Two Year Post Graduate Program

Samara Rowland : Two Year Post Graduate Program

A "10 year program" or a "3 year program" can't be just 2 levels..