Ballet Talk for Dancers

Nutmeg Conservatory

FouetteFanatic

hkLola, try calling Nutmeg 860-482-4413. Ask for Mrs. Orelup; she's the Academic Facilitator. If you don't reach her directly, you can leave a message on her machine; give her your email address so you don't have to run up a phone bill (unless you have a cell phone plan with free minutes). She's very good about following up with requests.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vagansmom

• Little Pointe Bird

• dolphingirl792

• 3elizajane

Ok, thanks. I have unlimited long distance (since my family is NY and I call my mother daily and the rest of my family often) so that isn't a problem. I'll give her a call when I get a chance, I have so much to do tommorrow.

I sent an information request so hopefully they respond to me about my other concerns as well.

Aside from the academic portion...it looks to me that the dancers are only dancing 2 hours and 45 minutes per day? What is the 1 hour and 45 minute rehearsal? Would that be a class as well? Would all the students participate?

I am glad to hear about the academics but it seems very little dancing for a ballet boarding school. :D That would be less than 20 hours per week Monday thru Friday and only if all the dancers participated in the rehearsals. Plus, rehearsals aren't really class.

Are there Saturday classes as well?

I don't mean to sound negative, in fact, this is one of the schools my dd is very interested in. Compared to other boarding schools this seems to have the least amount of dancing hours.

3:45-5:15 Proctored study time, second class, music practice, rehearsal, coaching

5:30-6:15 Proctored study time, dance class, special interest, rehearsal, free time

It looks to me like this language leaves the door open for more classes and rehearsals (not sure which category "coaching" would go under; it could be either).

Once again, I'd be willing to guess that SAB will most likely take the top spot for least amount of dance classes offered....even for the year round program. I know of a girl in the upper end of the year round school (I believe the second to the highest level) that takes a class in the morning and a class in the afternoon, with academics mix within. Depending on the needs of the company, rehearsals would be additional.

Redstorm, this is the very first time I've ever heard anyone concerned about Nutmeg's dance schedule being light! :D If anything, it's the opposite. My daughter danced at Nutmeg for many years but did post-grad work at another pre-pro. Although the other school's dance schedule would be considered normal for a pre-pro, it was quite an adjustment for her, coming from Nutmeg, to NOT be dancing as much.

Don't worry, there's plenty of dancing. The schedule, as written, has built-in flexibility. Every proctored study time will not be used by every student. But they are available at all those times so that students who are not in dance classes (remember: there are different dance levels so not everyone is at the same class at the same time) have the proctored study time available.

I'd say that Nutmeg's dance schedule is FAR closer to that of CPYB's than SAB's. :)

I'll be away for the next 5 or 6 days and computer time will be spotty so I apologize in advance if any questions addressed to me don't get answered right away. But of course, by all means, call Nutmeg for details.

Guest yours truly

I am a nonretuning scholarship student at Nutmeg. I have decided to stop lurking and post.

I have to comment on several things. Nutmeg is such a place of promise. So much potential in the staff, students, and facilitites. But, for the past 2-3 years, so many promises went unkept.

The website can be misleading, as even can be conversations with staff. My family and I were told there would be Modern classes, and the staff includes several modern teachers/dancers. But basically, when the two key "faculty's" daughter graduated from the program, Modern is no logner offered. Period. No master classes, nothing. And several of the faculty listed are no longer really faculty. Or spend only a few months at Nutmeg. One of the major auditioners does not live in New England and is physically here only a few weeks of the year. You may love his auditions, but you won't be taking classes from him once you get here. The AD is not seen for weeks and weeks at a time, and does not teach. She taught 1-2 classes this year.

The transpotation "vans" that will take the students on trips are passenger mini-vans, the drivers, are 17-20 yo students getting financial aid. There is little organized in the way of any off site trips. There have been many promises of trips to the city (NYC), to dance at STEPS or see a ballet etc. The "vans" never once even went to an SI audition. Not a one. And some students had to beg and plead and bribe one of the student drivers to get a ride to the train station to get to the city. There are mixed messages about staying in the summer or going elsewhere to be seen. But there is no transportation. And this year only two auditions held at Nutmeg for outside programs.

There was a wonderful ballet/Balenchine exhibit in Hartford this year. Hartford is 20-30 minutes away. We never saw that exhibit. We did take one trip to Harford to see a dance performance. Others promised--never happened. One was announced 2-3 days prior, and was for a Sunday night, during the same time that one of the summer SI auditions was taking place. (One of only two.) It was late in the audition season, March, and several of us were counting on this one. So the dance performance trip was canceled so we could attend the audition.

This year Nutmeg did not send a single student to YAGP. Regional was held here. Not a single dancer participated. Because Nutmeg decided not to participate.

Torrington is small and isolated. Homeschooling 30-35 kids in a small facility will be stifling. There are many pomised being made now with the change in academics. We have heard these before.

The postings here about how the school board was not happy with the Nutmeg kids attending free appears to be something that did not acutually take place, not publicly anyway. No mention of it in the school board meetings minutes. One of our academic student's parent spoke with the superintendent of schools. She was even present at the graduation/awards dinner for Nutmeg. The school board was not forcing students out. We called about "paying tuition" to complete some academic courses at the school. We were told the change had more to do with the AD/administration wanting to have the students miss too much school, for instance for the month of December with no academics so that they could focus on Nutcracker etc. It was not really about the high school or school board.

When there was talk of switching to internet based academics, it was so there would be more dance. Recently, there has only been the following schedule. Tech from 3:45-5. Pointe/variations/partnering/etc 5:15 to 6. Dinner 6-6:45. Another class (pointe/variations etc) 6:45-8. Sometimes rehearsals 8-9. MANY TIMES rehearsals once tech over. For most of Nov and Dec, only tech and rehearsals, few other classes. But the new schedule is really no different except on paper rehearsals are after dinner. But I really suspect that other classes will still be used for rehearsals. And comparing the old schedule to the new, it is just a schedule moved up earlier in the day.

Pilates is promised when you ask, but last year there was no more than maybe 3-4 classes all year. And it was hard to go elsewhere for a Pilates class. The basement of Nutmeg is filled with old work-out equipment, some of it looks 30 years old. Nothing new, and no pilates equipment.

The academic adviser was hired from within. A teacher of the lower level ballet in the TSB who home-schooled her own kids is the new adviser. The proctored study times on the schedule in the afternoon and evening just means that if you do not have a class or a rehearsal, that an adult or RA or someone will be in the building.

I am not returning to Nutmeg. To many promises not kept, too many more being made. I was invited to return. I decided to study at another solid program. I really wish Nutmeg the best. I hope they can turn things around.

Edited by yours truly

I would have to agree that the hours at Nutmeg are not CPYB. It is my understanding that at CPYB that the classes are technique driven, and rehearsals are separate and performance is not the focus.

Nutmeg hours of actual class vary. Class time can be frequently used for rehearsals as it gets close to show time. Some were variation classes, but not long into it they were rehearsals of the variation for a performance, with only those dancers likely chosen getting any real coaching or corrections. Same with pas class. No real techinique pas classes for something like NOV/DEC. They were more Nutcracker rehearsals. Maybe they included pas variations. But only those with a real shot at dancing in the performances were getting pas.

You will always get a technique class six days a weeks for one hour and fifteen minutes. Those were never used for rehearsals.

Actually, the new schedule does add class time, and designates actual rehearsal time. This will help

I, too, am not returning. I also received a small scholarship to return.

Yours truly--who are you?? PM me when you get enough posts!!!

Because there's been so much chatter here about the school, I felt compelled to go look at the web site. I could not find anything on there about tuition and room and board costs. Is that unusual or do most schools not post their costs?

Because there's been so much chatter here about the school, I felt compelled to go look at the web site.  I could not find anything on there about tuition and room and board costs.  Is that unusual or do most schools not post their costs?

The costs are there- go to "Prospective Students", "Admissions", "Application" then you will see "Fee Schedule". It is $13.500 for day students. Given that schools with as much- or more- class time are less than 1/2 the cost, that's big bucks.

Guest pointeparent

The school year when the kids went to the local high school was from approx 20-25th Aug to June 15-20 depending on snow days. I noticed with the new internet based schooling, they will now start Sept 6/7 and end May 21. That is about 6 weeks less dancing. And less dorm time. No change in tuition for boarding students.

And tuition with room and board for boarding students is $21,000 and this does not include the cost of Keystone, or whatever program you choose to use. This will be $2800-5000 more depending. And I expect tuition to rise more when they factor in the new costs of the acedemic advisor, etc.

Local kids who live in the area and attend class/rehearsals do not pay $13,500. If you relocate to the area to train, maybe. If you move out of the dorm into an apportment yes. But if you always lived in the area and came up the ranks through TSB, etc, you are most certainly not charged $13,500 a year. When they break down the fees for the residence students, this is the amount "allocated" for tuition. This is the amount you still pay if family relocates to the area or you move out of the dorms. It is not what the locals pay.

Some of the facts needed clarification.

Edited by pointeparent
Local kids who live in the area and attend class/rehearsals do not pay $13,500.  If you relocate to the area to train, maybe.  If you move out of the dorm into an apportment yes. But if you always lived in the area and came up the ranks through TSB, etc, you are most certainly not charged $13,500 a year.  When they break down the fees for the residence students, this is the amount "allocated" for tuition.  This is the amount you still pay if family relocates to the area or you move out of the dorms. It is not what the locals pay.

How is it that long-time locals pay less than new locals do - for the exact same thing?

Guest yours truly

My mom says that only the kids who grew up in the immediate area and have been dancing with Nutmeg from a young age are considered true locals. They pay a reasonable tuition. The rest who come specifically for the training come with the knowledge that the tuition is quite high. And most seem to accept that. And pay that. My mom says the residents and transplants help pay most of the bills. How could you expect to start at age 8 and stay until age 18 as a local and pay $13,000 a year for 10 years--$130,000 per kid? OK, so the first few years you dance with Torrington School of Ballet, the younger program at Nutmeg. And that is not $13,000 a year. But if your good, and you move to A-3 by the age of 10 (year-round there are only three levels, A3, A2 and A1 and A3 is combined with TSB level :D that is still $104,000 for 8 years. The locals kids don't all dance as if they are going to go professional. There are some who love to dance. And who take ballet until they graduate from high school. And they have no intentions of going pro. They don't all pay $13,000 to take ballet at Nutmeg. Nutmeg is looking for a resident student (girl) who can come as a resident or post grad, and pay that tuition. They make it pretty clear the scholarships and financial aid goes mostly to the guys.