Ballet Talk for Dancers

Books: Swan

I found a little bit more about Swan from an anime/manga fanzine. The original series started in 1979 in Japan, and went through many, many volumes. It was acquired by CMX in 1992, and it took this long to find personnel who knew ballet well enough for them to translate and publish. I agree, the story is pure Harlequin Romance, but not quite as well-put-together. But that's the shoujo market for you! :D

We can apparently look forward to a lot more nice ballet manga art with upcoming volumes in this series, and yes, I do recall Dame Margot saying something to the effect that Japan was becoming a dance force.

I really like anime and manga :rolleyes:, and am really interested now about this manga. There are also two other ballet mangas that you might be interested in.

Forbidden Dance (4 vols)

Princess Tutu

Princess Tutu is also an anime.

I found a review of the "Princess Tutu" anime. Um, I think I'll stick to Lain and Cowboy Bebop.

I also found that there was an anime of Swan Lake that antedates Barbie's by 20 years.

I think that site is suffering from some broken links. I wasn't even able to find Tenchi Muyo on it.

Guest Danzer7

hehe I was at Borders today and I bought Swan. It was for the most part very well drawn and pretty accurate. I was surprised to see all the footnotes explaining things. I can't wait to see the next volume. I have been a fan of anime for a while...but this is actually only the 2nd manga I've bought. Mr. Johnson, have you seen Read or Die? That is my current favorite anime.

*C*

Yes, I've seen Read or Die, and I like it well enough, but I sort of am reminded of a kind of bibliophile's Cowboy Bebop with the action centered on a cognate of Ed's from that series.

I really like anime and manga :), and am really interested now about this manga. There are also two other ballet mangas that you might be interested in.

Forbidden Dance (4 vols)

Princess Tutu

Princess Tutu is also an anime.

Interesting! :) Have you read the manga or seen the anime? If so, how are they in terms of quality? Japan is a "growth market" for ballet, and the dancers they produce speak very well of the training going on there, and also the interest of the audience!

i have read the manga of Forbiddon dance. i thought it was really good. Bit of a drama/romance manga about a girl who tries to get accepted into an all male ballet troupe.

I havent seen the anime because it has not been bought to Australia yet, but has just recently been released by ADV in America. I have heard from other people that it is very good.

Im looking for the manga at the moment its a bit hard to find.

heres another view point for princess tutu :)

http://www.animeacademy.com/finalrevdisplay.php?id=409

Guest Adrienne

Ooh, that's awesome! I'd read about Swan online, because after I started reading Forbidden Dance and downloaded some episodes of Princess Tutu, I wanted to find out more about ballet manga. I didn't know they had just released that translation, and I'm going to get to a comic shop ASAP. THanks for the info.

I've only read the first three volumes of Forbidden Dance. I haven't read the final one yet (whenever I've got money, the stores are out of them, whenever I don't have any money, they have copies). It's kind of a weird concept (girl wants to join all-male ballet troupe), but they're good.

[Edited to mention that I downloaded episodes of Princess Tutu before it was available in North America, so downloading was my only option. I just went to ADV's site, and the first volume of Princess Tutu will be released on January 25. Here's a link about the DVD: http://www.advfilms.com/catalog/DetailsPri...DVDVolume01.asp]

Edited by Adrienne