Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Guest LisaY

Heel Forward

Victoria Leigh

Shada, you really did go back a ways to pull up this topic! smile.gif

The wrapped foot, a true sur le cou-de-pied position, is used in the Vaganova frappés, where they do not strike the floor with the ball of the foot.

Guest Shada

Yes, I suppose I did. I think I've read almost everything in the archives. I was going to try to look up an email address for Colleen, but decided not to bug her with something she'd written so long ago. I didn't expect any kind of a response, so this really is great! Thank you so much. You guys don't miss a thing.... smile.gif

I'm sorry to drag up old stuff, but there is so much information here, I can't help myself. I remember Basheva from the now-defunct (I think) Blue Diamond boards, and she always had so much to say, and all of it was so helpful, I saw "ORZAK" and HAD to smile.

I remember the Vaganova frappés, I think, from childhood, and I hated them, I must say. I had the worst time developing control. Flexibility I had, port de bras, expression, bouncy little jumps, but no control. Ugh. I liked the stability of using the floor on the others. And I just tried them, and still I have very little control. I suppose it will come, though, especially being able to ask questions here!

(Thanks again, Ms. Leigh. smile.gif

Victoria Leigh

That's what we're here for, Shada! smile.gif Actually the different kinds of frappé are both valid, since they work on different things. We use the relaxed foot to teach frappé in the younger division, but the more advanced students have to do both ways.

Guest Colleen

It would have been no bother at all Shada. I have just recently returned to the board after a bit of an absence and I was surprised to see my name attached to a posting. Anyway just a bit of additional info.

In RAD frappés are always done with a flexed foot and the wrapped position (heel touching the front of the leg and toes wrapped backwards to touch the achilles) is only for petites battements sur le cou de pieds. This more advanced move isn't taught until the Major Syllabus (professional level examinations) when presumably there is enough strength, flexibility, and coordination to keep the foot from 'flapping' about.

Also, like frappés this is an isolation movement, so the thigh is kept perfectly still and perfectly turned out (or so the syllabus book claims! ) and the motion happens entirely from below the knee. When I had to do that for my Elementary exam I can honestly say that apart from maybe batterie and pointe, it was the hardest exercise. smile.gif

Mel Johnson

Welcome back, Colleen! smile.gif

Guest Shada

Thanks. I really appreciate the detailed explanation, kinda helps to visualize what I should be doing. My teacher explained it a bit differently, but it's clearer now that I've heard it another way.

By now I've developed the coordination to be able to do it, but I've lost a bit of the strength, although it's coming back slowly. Biggest problem is not so much in the doing, of course, but in watching every other part of my body, too, while maintaining the integrity of the movement. I get them just right and I start to lean forward, or I get the thigh to stay still and my foot wants to try to relax, or any number of things, the shoulders turn, the arm drops, etc. Let us not even discuss turnout.... LOL. Just practice will fix these, and I can't say I'm at a loss for things to work on! Thanks again, Colleen. smile.gif