Ballet Talk for Dancers
BW

Ballet Pacifica's new AD: Ethan Stiefel

dbleon

DD has attended MANY auditions where they were told "no contracts to give out" holding open auditions only to satisfy union rules!....Now wouldn't it be nice to be told this BEFORE spending hundreds of dollars to attend! :blushing:

BW

The Orange County Register, Wednesday, March 29, 2006: More Clouds Over Ballet Pacifica by Laura Bleiberg and Paul Hodgins

The artistic director's future is uncertain less than a week after his first season was put off...
(click on the hyperlink for the story.) :grinning:

gogators

<Sigh> It's official -- at least on the OC Register website, Ethan Stiefel resigns as AD of Ballet Pacifica:

www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1078767.php

Ethan Stiefel has resigned from his position as artistic director of Ballet Pacifica. The dance superstar had led the troubled company for a little more than a year. The resignation takes place immediately, though Stiefel has offered to serve as a consultant through July 30.

"This decision took many long hours to come to and it is with great reluctance that I will not continue with the organization," Stiefel said in a written statement issued Thursday morning."

Guest balletandsynchro

I think another ominous note in this article is that Amanda McKerrow is only at the school through July. Hopefully, she will stay to keep the ballet school afloat.

Ethan Stiefel's departure will only make it more difficult for BP to launch its company. In a way it isn't surprising, considering the board decided to wait one more year to start the season. Every year BP is out of the public eye, it is harder and harder to generate interest in donations. What a shame this happened!

LooseLegs2

when i first heard of Ethan Stiefel taking over, i had high hopes of what the company could turn out to be. but the more details i heard, the more i had a feeling it wasn't going to work. its a shame, there was so much potential!

dancergirl39

This is so frustrating! You would think that in Orange County California it would NOT be hard to find MONEY! This is where the median home price is more than people make in their lifetime! Why does this happen? Are the citizens "above" ballet or what? Ugh, I am saddened by these things.

mydarlindancer

I believe that it might be more like somewhere below....

Guest balletandsynchro

I believe that there are a lot of choices of things to do in OC and SoCal, which makes it tougher to fund a ballet company. We have great weather year round, and tons of outdoor activities, including professional surf and skateboard competitions. The Orange County Performing Arts Center has its own dance series, and pulls in wonderful companies from all over the world, both ballet and modern. While companies like the Bolshoi will sell out some performances, believe me it isn't that hard to get a good seat on some performance days, and many times rush tickets are available.

One thing about the BP of old, it focused on contemporary choreography and contemporary music, which might have generated interest from people who wouldn't come to see a classical production.

gogators

My heart is aching over this one since the BP company is near & dear to me, as my dd & I were loyal season ticket holders and we have watched many, many of their performances over the years -- including some of dd's former (edited: and current :D ) teachers. (Does anyone remember their wonderful Choreography Project performances? Most dance pieces were really wonderful to watch and exciting to know that the audience was the "first" to see them!)

It's all such a shame, esp. since BP was founded about 40 years ago! But I do hold out hope that somehow BP will be revived again in the near future -- maybe not a full season at first, but something to start with!

Edited by gogators

Guest balletandsynchro

gogators,

We used to have season tickets too - our favorite dancer was Melissa Ehrmann, who also taught DD many years ago. We're keeping our fingers crossd that somehow BP will be back!

TutuMaker

Melissa still teaches there, but she has since married and is now Melissa French. She still teaches at BP, and is a wonderful teacher!

Sorry! :D

bailarina95

I am really sad and my DD & all her friends are devasted with the news.. I dont know what I will do if Amanda & John leave the school. Besides the lack of communication to the parents & having to find out by the weblinks news & the newspaper.. we as the parents have been the last to know. I am hurt for whats going on. With this week off from ballet pacifica , & now to find out that Ethan is gone, my little girl broke down in tears. She says "why did he give up mom" .. what am I suppose to say to her. When they look up to him & believed in him.

I am so embarrassed for all my friends & from here "ballet talk" for believing in him & to spend money in traveling from all over the world to attend a audition just so they can say "sorry no money" .. I'm sorry to all those students & moms that have invested into this audition. I am very ashamed on how they handled this.

:D

Edited by bailarina95

Guest missg
I am really sad and my DD & all her friends are devasted with the news.. I dont know what I will do if Amanda & John leave the school. Besides the lack of communication to the parents & having to find out by the weblinks news & the newspaper.. we as the parents have been the last to know. I am hurt for whats going on. With this week off from ballet pacifica , & now to find out that Ethan is gone, my little girl broke down in tears. She says "why did he give up mom" .. what am I suppose to say to her. When they look up to him & believed in him.

I am so embarrassed for all my friends & from here "ballet talk" for believing in him & to spend money in traveling from all over the world to attend a audition just so they can say "sorry no money" .. I'm sorry to all those students & moms that have invested into this audition. I am very ashamed on how they handled this.

:D

BP is indeed an organization with a rich and varied 40+ year history and, in many ways, it would be a shame, as "gogators" pointed out, to see the organization known as "BALLET PACIFICA" not be a part of the fabric of the O.C. community. However, BP's inception, growth and steady progress were always lead by people who truly understood and cared for Orange County.

No one should blame Stiefel for his resignation from BP. Nor should they blame McKerrow or Gardner for bowing out at the end of their tenure. They were made promises that were not delivered.

People like Lila Zali. Molly Lynch, and Gillian Finley (and countless others), were either pioneers or products of Orange County - people who through thick and thin, good times and hard times, knew that they would "soldier through" and continue to devote their lives to ballet in Orange County – a community that I believe is neither above nor below supporting professional dance.

Continuing the name of "Ballet Pacifica" is entirely in the hands of the current organization's Board of Directors - a "daunting task" indeed. Not because O.C. does not support dance – Zali, Lynch, Finley, and many others have already proven that it does- but because, perhaps, today's Ballet Pacifica is no longer about Dance in O.C.

TruthConquers

Our Dd is disappointed too! She was so thrilled at the chance to go to a school connected with a big name ballet company. Now we are really not sure what to expect. :unsure: She is happy that Amanda is staying until July and will have summer intensive with her, but what about after that? This feels like such a mess. :( Well, there is always hope. At least my dd is getting a glimse into the REAL ballet world with all its ups and downs.

Clara 76

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, missg!

Thank you for your post. We hope that you will stick around for awhile, and join in wherever you can. Also, don't forget to check out our sister board, Ballet Talk. Over there, you will find posters aged 16 and up, and the conversations are more from the point of view of audience members.

Enjoy!

Clara 76