Ballet Talk for Dancers

Cast Fees, Recital Fees?

ToThePointe

Guest DelBocaVista

Dd attends pre-professional school affiliated with a University program. This will be the information for Spring Performance.

Do you perform in a studio or theatre? University theatre

Do you pay a cast fee / recital fee and if yes how much? No

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? Tickets cost $15.00

Do you have to sell a minimum amount of tickets? No, the University box office handles ticket sales

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? No, the costumes belong to the school. We have a costume department.

Are you required to participate in fundraisers? No

Approximately how many students are in your production? 150

There are volunteer opportunities to chaperone backstage and in other areas. If you choose to volunteer you receive one free ticket to the performance of your choice.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ToThePointe

• BW

• balletbooster

dancerdriver

Do you perform in a studio or theatre? a professional union theater, very expensve

Do you pay a cast fee / recital fee and if yes how much? $100.00 per dancer for Nutcracker. Between $10 to 30.00 depending on level for spring show. (upper levels pay more)

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? Everyone must buy tickets. For Nutcracker they range from $45.00 down to 15.00 for the nosebleed seats. For the spring performances they range from about $25.00 to 5.00.

Do you have to sell a minimum amount of tickets? No

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? No, the costumes are made by volunteer wardrobe department and kept by the school

Are you required to participate in fundraisers? Not required but strongly encouraged

Approximately how many students are in your production? Nutcracker about 180 (alternate casts) so about 120 per performance. We have 3 different spring performances all the same weekend. Two of the performances have about 250 students each and the other one has about 75 students.

• 2 weeks later...

My dd's school is part of a professional company. She is a student apprentice, so she performs in 2 major ballets and 2 rep shows each year in addition to spring show for all the ballet students, and 2 or three minor performances (dancing at schools, fairs, festivals, etc). Student apprentices pay a $300 company fee to cover costumes and production costs for the year. Company parents are also asked to sell ads and get donations - this is suggested but not required.

For students who take in the open school I will list below info for the spring performance:

Do you perform in studio or in a theater? theater

Do you pay a cast fee/recital fee and if yes, how much? $40

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? Each parent gets 5 tickets for paying the $40 fee and volunteering

Do you have to sell a minimum of tickets? No

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? Costume fee is $90 paid with tuition at registration

Are you required to participate in fund raisers? No

Approximately how many students are in your production? We have 3 separate shows each lasting an hour with classes having between 5-12 dancers - My guess is there are about 150 kids who take dance at this school

This would be for the Recital-

Do you perform in studio or in a theater? theater

Do you pay a cast fee/recital fee and if yes, how much? $150 - this inlcludes all fees and costumes

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? No

Do you have to purchase your own costumes?Yes - included in recital fee above

Approximately how many students are in your production? 150

• 3 weeks later...

Do you perform in studio or in a theater? Theater

Do you pay a cast fee/recital fee and if yes, how much? Company dues $125-annual

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? No ticket purchase required. Ticket prices range $9 to $30

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? Complany provides costumes and even tights if they are a special color (not pink or black)

Approximately how many students are in your production? 40 to more than 100 depending upon production.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for our Spring Recital:

Do you perform in studio or in a theater? Local school theatre.

Do you pay a cast fee/recital fee and if yes, how much? No

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? One 'free' ticket. $15 each for additional tickets.

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? Yes. This year they are $80 each (3 - 4 costumes to be purchased and worn twice - for less than 5 minutes each)

Are you required to participate in fund raisers? No, but parents are expected to volunteer backstage with makeup and supervision.

Approximately how many students are in your production? 150 - 200

TC

duhitsnicolette

Just for our Spring Recital:

Do you perform in studio or in a theater? school.

Do you pay a cast fee/recital fee and if yes, how much? No

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? around 10-15$$

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? Yes. $60-70

Approximately how many students are in your production?not sure, a lot

• 1 month later...
Guest arabento

For the this year's Spring performance my son's studio used a local H.S. theater that is used by professional companies also.

There was no recital fee

Tickets were $5 for children/parents, $10 for everyone else

We did not have to sell a minimum number of tickets

His cost was $30.00 for costumes, (cost varied based on level) the older girls bought their own tutus, but they were ordered from a European company and were reasonably priced. Plus they get to keep them

Fund raising is encouraged, but not required

There were approximately 120 participants.

Taradriver

Do you perform in studio or in a theater? Theatre, both for Spring Showcase & Nut

Do you pay a cast fee/recital fee and if yes, how much? Senior dancers $120

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? 6 minimum for Spring, $14 each

Do you have to sell a minimum of tickets? 6 (Spring only)

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? Spring only, purchase costumes, tutus rented (approximately $100-$150 total)

Are you required to participate in fund raisers? No, but we have a fund raising night at a local restaurant and it is a nice way to help the school and NOT have to cook

Approximately how many students are in your production? Easily over 100

Do you perform in studio or in a theater? A very nice theater that seats several hundred people.

Do you pay a cast fee/recital fee and if yes, how much? Yes, $100.

Do you have to buy tickets and if yes, how much per ticket? Yes, you have to buy 10 tickets at $23.50 per ticket.

Do you have to sell a minimum of tickets? Well, you buy 10 tickets and it's up to you whether you sell them or give them away. There are no requirements beyond that. Fortunately, this presents no problem since my ex's family are local and everyone comes, so more than 10 are required.

Do you have to purchase your own costumes? No. Though you do provide the more intimate items: seamed mesh tights, a nude leo for some roles (to wear under more sheer costumes), dance trunks. I spent about $70 for the incidentals, including a new pair of flats to replace the pair being dyed. This is the first year for this particular production so we are providing tights and shoes to dye and the school requests that we leave the dyed tights for other years when they do this production.

Are you required to participate in fund raisers? There is one fund raiser, but participation doesn't appear to be mandatory - it's a silent auction and dinner with live entertainment. (We switched to this studio just as they had the fundraiser so I missed it this year.) Parents do help out though. I'm helping make costumes, and parents help backstage, with t-shirt sales, and so on. Each parent fills out a form stating how they'd like to volunteer.

Approximately how many students are in your production? About 50? Maybe more. It is a huge time commitment for rehearsals so not all students in the school choose to participate.

My feeling is that it's worth it for the students to have such a great performing opportunity. We just left a pre-pro school with very minimal performing opportunities (and a very minimalistic spring show) so this is a very heady experience for my daughter to have multiple roles with costume changes.

Sharon

• 1 year later...

i´m wondering...

ok we are in europe and a big named school...

but if our kids perform with the company(national one) they get paid!

we never(!) pay for participating..........

the school performance is always sold out, you would be happy if you can get a ticket!

sooo different!

(sorry to write on such an old thread, but ...it was sooo different!)

regards from uppsala

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Uppsala!! We're glad you found us. :yes: It's great to hear about how things run all over the globe.

Please feel free to introduce yourself over on our Welcome Forum for an official greeting from our wonderful Welcome Lady!

i´m wondering...ok we are in europe and a big named school...but if our kids perform with the company(national one) they get paid! we never(!) pay for participating..........

(knock, knock... mom of under 13 dancer here...)

I believe most of the people who posted on this thread are not in large schools (as your child is) but were associated with smaller, local schools with an audience made up of primarily the families of the dancers. My son danced in such a production one year and we shelled out about $150 (fees, costumes, tickets, etc) for the honor. Still, it was a fun experience and provided him with some stage experience. I thought of it more as a "Nutcracker class" ending with a show for the parents. I think parents with kids in large professional productions didn't participate in this thread as it didn't really apply to their situations.

But, since you asked... like your child, my son is currently a student in a big-name school and performing in their Nut. We've paid nothing in fees, and he is paid $100 for his time (However, that $100 doesn't exactly cover the cost of all the gas I'm putting into my car and buying tickets that cost $30-$90!).

The advantages--> the excitement of dancing with the company that he idolizes and bragging to everyone he meets. He loves all the attention he's been receiving, and our small town newspaper is doing on article on him and the other two Nut boys in our town who commute to the city to be in the production (we live in a small town where everyone is obsessed with our champion highschool football team; boys in ballet are definately news-worthy around here!).

The disadvantages--> no chance to perform as anything but a "party boy" for a few more years and then a soldier once he's too tall for the party scene. Had he chosen this year to participate in a small, local production (the type where we pay a performance fee and supply our own customes and such) he could have auditioned for a more exciting role such as Fritz or Rat King (both played by pros in our current production). I'm a bit envious when I read here on BT4D about kids my son's age dancing in all these interesting roles! It sounds like so much fun!

If we had the time and energy we would consider doing both types of performances as there's a lot of good in both!

As a side note, the $100 payment *thoroughly* impressed his non-ballet guy friends who, for the first time, are interested in my son's ballet experiences and now treat the whole affair with a lot more respect. After all, they've never been *paid* to play their football games!!