Ballet Talk for Dancers

34ballet...sounds familiar, when my DD is stressed (or hungry) she suddenly "can't remember or doesn't know". So, when your DD is out of the hectic finals time and fed( if she's like mine lol) and more relaxed to divulge information, will be to hear what the grads are doing. No rush,DD is signed and sealed at UofA.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiwiwdancer

• sheahuang

• Lady Elle

• cmalltheway

Pierette, Kiwiwdancer, and 34Ballet, thank you all very much for your input. DD will be auditioning for a number of different programs next year, and we're just trying to go into this process armed with as much information as possible!

Pierette, I always love to read your posts, because I find them to be straight forward, honest, and very useful. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions as we get into the actual auditions starting this fall. We will have visited all of the schools she's interested in by then, so that alone is a big help.

Mackie having just survived the college app/audition tour process...whew!! It was harrowing...Applied to 7 schools, auditioned for 6, I am here to help if you have questions. Applying to a Fine Arts program is a lot of work and I suggest your DD start as soon as the applications open up. DD spent most all of her free time fall/winter senior year completing the college apps/fine arts applications. The essays, DVD, photos, teacher recommendations,etc have her get it all done as soon as available. Also, what used to be a dream school because of it's reputation, DD was disillusioned after the audition and watching class. I learned so much from the presentations each dance department had given to the parents and dancers. What they said or more importantly, didn't say, was key. DD would observe how the students of the school would interact with each other also.Listen carefully and make sure you attend all those Q&A talks by faculty when you go to the auditions, take the dance department tours, watch classes if possible. that's my sage advice. :yes:

Kiwiwdancer, Thank you very much for your advice and your willingness to help along the way! Our summer plan, if it works out, is to have the photos and scholarship DVD completed before she leaves for her SI's which begin in mid-June. Friends have told her to begin working on her common application essays this summer, saving them in a word document, until the application goes live on August 1. I know she will also have a number of college supplements to deal with as well in the fall. I'm not sure how this is going to work with numerous high school AP courses, concurrent enrollment at the university, a 3-hour daily commute 6 days a week to get to her ballet classes, and numerous days away from school for auditions, but somehow she'll get through it! Ballet students always seem to develop excellent time management skills! Again, many thanks, and I'm sure I'll be posting more questions soon.

Mackie..I still don't know how DD or I got thru it all.I will tell you DD only wanted to go to big schools, and one would think they used the common app.Only one school used the common app, she ended up making 7 college apps and 7 fine arts apps (she auditioned for 6) nixed the last one after making the tour we were exhausted and she was confident she had gotten into at least one school she liked. Also, I'm sure you have been told, but every university/program has its own requirements for essay length and content, DVD requirements, solo requirements. Resumes, solo, photos are pretty standard,so you can get those done this summer. Get teacher recommendations done, I would suggest. Although,most schools want those mailed directly to them. Have DD have one basic essay and be ready to chop it to varying lengths and copy paste. Each program wanted a different word count as well. So, I assisted in cutting the length. All this is a lot of work, we have a similar commute, DD has one AP class but no study hall, full schedule and had to keep grades up.

Kiwiwdancer, I just sent you a message with some additional questions not specific to the U of A thread. I'm not sure exactly how that function works, so I hope you receive it!!

kiwidancer - LOL. You hit the nail on the head. DD came home from UofA last Saturday and the first thing I said was "You look thin. Go sleep until you wake up (however long that is) and I'll make you a good stick-to-your ribs meal WITH dessert." She's coming around, so maybe I'll have something to report soon.

mackie - Best of luck this year! College applications, essays, DVDs, audtions, & scholarships applications on top of the senior year activities was just crazy. If I had any advice to give, it kind of echoes kiwidancer. Do as much as you can (applications/auditions) in the fall to minimize the stress in the spring and tell your daughter to go with her gut. Just because it's a top-rated program doesn't mean it's a good fit for everyone.

As a parent of a rising Jr. I have to say these posts are fascinating and helpful. Is there any way we can pull off some of them into a different thread about the process itself? I'm thinking I won't be able to find this again when I'm desperate.

I was thinking the same thing. Our DK didn't apply to UofA and I've just been following the thread--I have some additional insight to contribute--Moderators--new thread for the "college application/audition wisdom"? Our guidance counselor asked me to write up the process for applying to ballet/dance programs. There's a lot of wisdom here.

I haven't time to check or search right now (in middle of college graduation, packing, moving, etc), but I believe we have threads on the process--that include posts regarding general and school specific.

And there is, of course, the information contained in each dedicated school's thread. Are you asking to have a second dedicated thread for each school regarding application process? :cool2:

Here's one that we found helpful starting out. If we can get more dialog rolling on this one, maybe Mackie you can ask the questions you were going to ask kiwidancer in this thread and you'll see more responses from across the board and be able to share with others coming up.

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=48945

I haven't time to check or search right now (in middle of college graduation, packing, moving, etc), but I believe we have threads on the process--that include posts regarding general and school specific.

And there is, of course, the information contained in each dedicated school's thread. Are you asking to have a second dedicated thread for each school regarding application process? :cool2:

No, I guess not a brand new thread, and the one linked above is good info. I guess there's just a lot of little nuggets in this thread that are not at Arizona specific, (esp the ones at the top of this page, for example) and I was thinking about how I'd like to find these bits in 12 months or so.

So maybe some of these general comments could be merged with a new thread, or another older thread with similar information. Moderators?

This has probably been addressed but is U of A very generous with scholarships?

UofA's dance department can be extremely generous by offering full scholarships to their top choice students (females included!). I'm guessing most other students receive some form of partial scholarship, awarded on the basis of their DVD scholarship submission (as my daughter did). Then, the university itself kicks in merit-based academic scholarships (which my daughter also received). The combination of the academic and dance scholarships cut my DD's out-of-state tuition in half.

Additionally, the department awards special scholarships at the end of the year that cover such things as summer intensives. Again, my DD was very fortunate to receive one of these for her last summer at SFCD. I also recall another year (years?) when she was chosen to be paired with a "Dance Patron," which allows donors to be paired with specific dancers. (It was a few-hundred dollars.) In general, I'd say that UofA does an outstanding job of keeping their donors happy and support coming in, which is why the department is run a lot like a professional company. They definitely have a symbiotic relationship going with their dance patrons.