Ballet Talk for Dancers

We do not allow duplicate posts on BT, so I've split your post and left the part that discussed your reasons for choosing Arizona here and the portion that described your overall college search on the other thread.

Congratulations on your daughter's acceptances and her decision. I wish her all the best in the fall! :yes:

And, thanks to you for sharing the search process with us. I hope you will continue to share about her experiences at AU!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiwiwdancer

• sheahuang

• Lady Elle

• cmalltheway

!danceon! - Congratulations to your daughter! She sounds very talented and intelligent. Come the fall, I hope you will be willing to share some of her experiences so that we can have an inside perspective on the program.

Edited by BalletMarie

Well, for the past two years, I've been the lone poster on Ballet Talk for Dancers offering an "inside perspective" on the program. My daughter was a transfer student, so she's now a senior dance major at the University of Arizona. It will be really great to have another BT4D parent posting here as well, as I've found that this is not a program that can be adequately portrayed through the standard printed literature.

Pierrette-

Do you have any dates for upcoming performances for the dance department. I need to schedule a trip to Tuson in the future and would like to do it when they have some concerts. The only one I saw posted was a jazz one in October? Thanks.

Ballet1612, UofA's annual Jazz Dance Showcase, held every October, is a convention that the program sponsors for high school ensembles around the country to come and showcase what they do in jazz. UofA jazz ensembles also perform, but the shows are only for convention participants. Of course you don't know this because the web site is lousy with providing this information, including broken links to a page that is supposed to explain such things. And, as you noted, none of the other upcoming events have been added to the calendar.

I haven't received the annual brochure with performance dates and information yet. When I do, or as soon as I might get dates from my very busy daughter, I'll post them here. Today is their first day of school and auditions for the ensembles take place in the coming week, so I hope to find out more after those are over, as I'll also need to schedule trips if my daughter is cast in any pieces.

PK, your question might be a good one to post by itself in the "Higher Education General Discussion" section. As for my daughter, her aspirations to land a performing job after graduation have never wavered. Her first choice would be a position in a contemporary ballet company. She had the opportunity to take company classes in Chicago and Montreal at the end of this summer and she was happy to learn that she is definitely "company ready" at this point.

• 5 weeks later...

OK, I've got some dates for the 2007-2008 faculty and guest choreographer shows, but please confirm them with the Fine Arts Box Office (520-621-1162) before you make any plans.

Arizona Jazz Dance Showcase

Wed. October 10 & Thurs. October 11 at 7:30 pm

(other listed dates are for registered participants of the weekend convention)

First View

Thurs. October 25 & Fri. October 26 at 7:30 pm

Sun. October 28 at 1:30 pm

(note NO SATURDAY show due to UA athletics)

In The Season

Fri. November 30 at 7:30 pm

Sat. December 1 at 1:30 pm

Premium Blend

February 21, 22, 23 at 7:30 pm

February 24 at 1:30 pm

February 29 at 7:30 pm

March 1 at 1:30 and 7:30 pm

Spring Collection

April 24 & 25 at 7:30 pm

This doesn't count the Grad shows or other student choreography shows, which you'll need to contact the department about (520-621-4698). Email: dance@cfa.arizona.edu

Hi....

I am also glad to see someone from the u of a post here! Hooray!

This is my daughter's freshman yr. She loves the dance program, the teachers, the students, the dorm, the academics, the food, the weather...geeesh, I can't say enough! She was cast in 4 pieces for the Ensemble...one is rehearsing quite a bit right now and she is an understudy. She takes classes with Freshmen and Sophomores. They include ballet technique everyday, Jazz and modern ( a few days each per week), improv. She has pointe 3 days a week and came from a program that had pointe every day, so she does her own pointe work after class when she has time. A block of time from mid afternoon into the evening is blocked out everyday for potential Ensemble Rehearsal. She also has some rehearsals on the weekends...

She joined a few social groups, one for the dancers, and is involved in a committee for fundraising for that group. They had a get tog party and the freshman all received an upper classman "dancer buddy"...a mentor so to speak...

She enjoys the academics and has small classes...only 30 in English! This is the 4th child I have put into a university and I must say I am impressed with the organization of the school, the communication with parents and students, and the rigor of the dance department.

A recent comment from my daughter..." I am so happy to not be spending sooo much time in the car going from home to school to dance and back home anymore...I am saving hours everyday..it's just me and my bike zipping around campus minutes from everyplace I need to be".

I know that the first audition for the next academic yr is underway now. It is not too early to start this lengthly process.

!danceon!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got the full brochure of performances for UA's School of Dance, and as I suspected, my previous post was not complete. So disregard that one. Here are all the upcoming performances, with new information in blue:

Arizona Jazz Dance Showcase

Wed October 10 & Thurs October 11 at 7:30 pm

First View

Thurs. October 25 & Fri. October 26 at 7:30 pm

Sun. October 28 at 1:30 pm

In The Season

Fri. November 30 at 7:30 pm

Sat. December 1 at 1:30 pm

Premium Blend*

February 21, 22, 23 at 7:30 pm

February 24 at 1:30 pm

February 29 at 7:30 pm

March 1 at 1:30 and 7:30 pm

Spring Collection

April 24 & 25 at 7:30 pm

May 2 & 3 at 7:30 pm

May 4 at 1:30 pm

The Launch

May 1 at 7:30 pm

May 3 at 1:30 pm

* Of special note, the first half of the Premium Blend program is Balanchine's "Serenade."

You can also see UA dance students perform in two MFA grad shows: one scheduled for Thursday, November 29 and Saturday, December 1 (same weekend as "In The Season"); the other, featuring Rick Warner's "Mythos" that utilizes "forms from mime, dance, circus and media arts," will take place some time next semester. (No date was included in the brochure.) There is also a student choreography showcase at the end of each semester called "Last Chance to Dance."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Pierette or !danceon!--do you know what the average size of the classes are? When my dd auditioned last fall she observed a ballet class which was quite large--approx 40+ students. We can't remember what level it was, but it was a mid/upper level. Do you know if this is typical or did we happen to catch them on a day when it was a combined class?

That's a typical class size. Dance classes are quite large at UofA. It's a factor of letting the students take multiple classes of a style if they want to get daily technique or for whatever other reason.

Thanks Pierette. I know your dd (and you) have been very happy there....I assume that means there are enough corrections given. Just seems like a large class to be able to get much individual attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether it's much individual attention. From what I gather, the program is run like a company in many ways and my daughter has improved in her technique because of the high caliber of the other students and the teaching that is directed towards those students. As with all programs, it may not be the best fit for all students. However, I can't say enough at this point about how tremendously supportive the faculty are being in helping my daughter cope with the family crisis we are now dealing with.

Although my dd just stopped short of the audition in person process, (other opportunities presented themselves that suited her better) They were so nice and interested in her. I was very impressed with their follow-up and concern, it made me second guess her decision.

Pierrette, I am sorry to hear about your family situation. I hope things will work out and thank-goodness your dd is in the right place.

I wish you the best.

hushinfazen