Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Extension

Danzatriz

I've never thought I have great extensions or amazing flexibility *(quite the contrary :blushing: ) , but to my amazement in a college audition last year a teacher saw me when doing the "lifting students leg" part (i suppose checking for extension) and said: this one's got it -weird, i know! :wacko: , my leg didnt go super high, but it went uo reasonable easy.

Also, a substitute teacher came in recently and had us hold our legs really high and then proceded to see how much further she could help us strech, and only with me she could manage to make the leg touch the head, out of the entire class :shrug: my regular teacher has never pointed out that im not streching enough, or that I might improve my extension... i'd love to, though.

im sorry if this is a dumb question :angry: , but i was wondering if is there a way i could like not have devoloped good extensions that i do have, or something like that?

• Administrators

It's very possible that you have not been pushed to get the leg higher and that the potential to do that is there. Perhaps the teacher was waiting for the placement and rotation to be there before pressing for more extension. It is also possible that you might not have pushed yourself as much as you could. :angry: But, now that you know you can, and as long as you maintain the correct alignment and rotation, go for it! But do remember, extension is good, but it's only good if the line is right. Contortion of the body to get extension is never good.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

It can be unsafe for students to stretch each other, however, when a teacher is testing for the potential of further extension, and knows how to do it, then it is not unsafe.