Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

strong arms

kellyisthebestintheworld

Today in class we were doing pirouettes and my teacher told us to have strong arms. I didn't understand so I asked and she told me to push on her arms and they were so strong they wouldn't move. Anyway, I couldn't figure out how to do it like her so she made me hold a folding chair while I did it so I could feel how strong it should be. Any tips on keeping arms strong while turning without having to hold something?

Kelly, remember that your arms are powered by a system of muscles that go all the way around to your spine. If, while you're working, you can feel those muscles working all the way back to there, you'll be on your way.

how do I make them work? she said to try to flex your arms, but I only feel my arms flexing and I can't keep them flexed very well while I turn. It's exactly like Gelsey Kirkland was talking about in The Shape of Love huh? the resitance thing?

Something like that, yes. It's at least in part isometrics, where muscles are pitted against muscles.

Knock knock,

kelly, I asked this in the Adult Ballet Students forum a few weeks back, the topic is Using the Back in Port de Bras and Ms Leigh and Major Johnson gave me 2 excellent exercises that helped me.

thanks for the help Dido!! (and Ms. Leigh and Major Johnson for telling her) I can feel the muscles when I'm doing the wall thing, but when I'm doing pirouette's I still can't feel them. I guess it's just a practice thing.

Yep, Kelly, it's just one of those Carnegie Hall answers - "Practice, practice, practice."

kelly, when doing the "wall thing", remember you want to use your arms as lightly as a feather. You are not moving a brick wall. :) You must hold your arms in your back but they must be free and light.

ok, I've figured out the wall thing! I can feel my back muscles now, but how do I make them work while I'm doing pirouette's? How can I do it without the wall? Sorry about all the questions, you guys are the "experts". :sweating:

My suggestion is to work quietly and relentlessly on your arms in everything. Eventually you may be able to understand and feel your back while turning, but it generally will not happen with a few days of practice for a pirouette. There could be so many other things going on that could be effecting your turns.

You are very kind to refer to the Moderators here at Ballet Talk as "experts" however without seeing you and working with you, we can give you ideas of what may help, but absolute, definitive answers about your personal technical needs really as best left to an educated teacher in front of you consistantly. :)

I've started to ask my teacher a lot of questions. I think she's kind of getting annoyed. It's not like I'm just asking for the fun of it, I just have a lot of questions! :yucky:

Just show this discussion to whomever in your house pays the school taxes. You will likely get an education.