Ballet Talk for Dancers to close ×
Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet music

Guest futuregelseystar

Guest futuregelseystar

ok i am really excited because my studio, the level 8 (highest level) get to each do a different solo! but unfortunatley we are having a hard time finding music for it, (some of them are like Don Quixote, Swan Lake, Le Corsaire, Stars and Stripes) so i was wondering if anyone knew of a good place to get ballet music, cheap if possible!!! :)

• Administrators

I'm not sure about Stars and Stripes, but all of the other things you mention are available. Le Corsaire is not available in a full length version, but the pas de deux and variations are on the Ballet Gala Album. There are a gazillion different Swan Lake recordings and several Don Quixote albums too. Have you been to Amazon.com? Go through the link on the top of this page, and if you order from them by going through this link it helps to support this site! :)

Stars and Stripes may or may not be out in the form of the ballet itself, however the music is certainly out there! All of the Sousa works are widely published.

Yes, Stars and Stripes is available. It's on the old Boston Pops recording. Arthur Fiedler's tempos aren't quite right, but better than some things I've heard. And as for cheap, consider your public library.

I'm doing the Black Swan Variation and I can't find the music to the variation anywhere. Does anyone happen to have a copy of swan lake or anyother CD that actually has it on it? I've looked through amazon.com and I haven't found it. I have two "complete ballet" cd's of swan lake and neither of them have the music to that variation. So, if anyone happens to know of a CD that has the music on it could you please tell me the conductor/orchestra/isbn or some sort of way for me to track it down. Thanks!

• Administrators

Dancer, the Black Swan variation is in the middle of the Grand Pas de Deux from Act III. It should be on almost every full length recording there is. There is a Russian version, Bolshoi I think, with a different variation there, but I think the "usual" version is still on the album somewhere. Not sure.

Actually, you don't need the full length Lac to find it. The Pas de Deux is on one of the Ballet Gala Albums.

Well, there's a problem with most of the full-length Swan Lake recordings. They mostly use the 1877 version of the score, with the "Black Swan" music in the first act. And in the early version of the score, there's a different variation for Odile, which doesn't fit the 1895 choreography at all. It's a waltz and the 1895 variation is an orchestration of a Tchaikovsky piano piece called "The Mischievous Child" which is in duple meter. It's only been available recently on recordings which are out of print. If you have a library which has access to the old Richard Bonynge "Art of the Prima Ballerina" album, it's there. This album was also subsumed in the 10-disc "Ballet Gala" set.

Thank you so much! I'll see if one of the librarys around here has it. If not, I guess I will be trying to get a used version of it somewhere! Thank you again!

Well, the largest library around here doesn't have it so it looks like I will be buying the 10 disc set.