Ballet Talk for Dancers

Television: Ballet in the Media

Guest i dance in uggs

I liked the episode for showing how dedicated a dancer has to be. Amy's father pointed out to her that she did not have a passion for ballet but was in a panic to cram two years worth of training into a week just to be accepted to a program.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tsavoie

• Skittl1321

• BW

Guest i dance in uggs

i agree.. i did like how they showed that you have to be dedicated and passionate about ballet in order to pursue it as a career :o . however i did NOT like how in this show, much like tons of others, they steriotyped(bad speller) dancers as anorexic or having bloody toes. parts of this had truth but not all of it. i also like how when she was practicing in her garage, when she did the little bit of pointe work, they did not show her head.. so was there a double or were they just putting more emphasis on her feet? hard to tell. now im excited to see what made has in store!

ConstanzaElisabeth

Everwood was done here in Utah, a lot of my friends at the university were extras. they certainly put an emphasis on tall and skinny-they only wanted the tallest and skinniest. the girls were upset though that there was no dancing. i didnt get to see it but some of them videotaped it so ill get to see.

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to add that MTV's Ashley Simpson Show shows her taking class somewhere. I was amazed how disrespectful she was during her class with her friends!! With the cameras in there and her behavior, I'm surprised she didn't get kicked out!

Has anyone else seen this episode? It's an older episode, played often on reruns.

~missyc

Guest i dance in uggs

i have seen that episode and it was disappointing to see how she acted. did you know that she went to SAB year round when she was 12? thats so super cool. also, vanessa carlton(sp) used to dance in ABTs corps.. she actually dances in her "white houses" video but i didnt think too much of it-she does lyrical/jazz. you can look it up at music.yahoo.com

also, vanessa carlton(sp) used to dance in ABTs corps..

Where have you seen that she danced with ABT? Everything I have seen documented on her is that she went to SAB and basically got burnt out on dancing and got into music. A lot of her interviews are rather negative about ballet. One I read even quoted her as calling her school "fascist"

Me, I still think it would be neat if MARGE Simpson had studied at SAB!

Marge Simpson was too busy perfecting her fine art painting skills and a youngster, painting portraits of the Beatles. ;)

Apparently this Thursday night at 10pm on MTV there is going to be an episode of "Made" in which a young man decides he wants to either become a ballet dancer or something along those lines. I happened to see a few seconds of the upcoming program where he almost dropped his partner on her head. :D Who knows, it might be worth watching and if it helps young men to see that ballet is not "unmanly" all the better. :P

I am looking forward to watching the episode of MADE. There are most likely going to be nay-sayers (there always are) but I hope in the end the boy realizes his goal. The commercial was quite humorous- it shows him dancing to the Nutcracker russian music in his living room, taking class with little kids, realizing lifts aren't easy, and going to get his first dance belt!

There is a preview available here- http://www.mtv.com/onair/dyn/made/series.jhtml (just click next on made) for those who have not yet seen it.

Made will be on MTV tonight with the boy that wants to be a dancer. It was filmed at the Rock School in Philadelphia and its my understanding there will be a fair amount of the men's classes shown.

Guest DerfDude04

The "MADE" show will show the dancers from Rock year-round and some of the training. But keep in mind this boy had no training whatsoever, and he only trained for about 4 weeks..... it will be quite humorous and entertaining. :D I know for a fact!!

Guest DerfDude04

Vanesse Carlton went to SAB, she did not dance with ABT. She did attend summer courses, one of them being PNB.

Also, Ashlee Simpson attended SAB but was forced to quit when her parents wanted to focus on Jessica's career.

And don't forget, McCaulie Coulkin (sp?) attended SAB, as he is the Prince in George Balanchine's The Nutcracker.

Watching Made on DVR right now and I have to say I am impressed at how this guy is doing. Granted he's no principle dancer but for a first time he looks pretty good.