Ballet Talk for Dancers

lack of support

cassy

I think that only dancers can understand, the whole world and industry of dancing is unlike anything else. If you are passionate about something, you will do anything to make it work, no matter the time/cost/pain/effort e.t.c..

Some people who dont have hobbys or no real passion just dont seem to be able to understand :)

Im the same age dance4joy and do not consider myself old either :blink:

People generally think the same about me, although some friends think it is great that i have ambition, drive and the dedication to keep dancing.

Cassy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cassy

• Dance_Scholar_London

• missvjc420

• Laschwen

Guest dance4joy

Nope we're are not nearly old and decrepit yet! And pooey on anyone who would tell us otherwise!! :P There are a few people who do admire me for my dancing, but they're most often the people who have no understanding of ballet or the ballet world. :shrug:

Now for a cute story. My boss introduced me to his daughter yesterday as "this is my secretary Emily. . .she's a ballerina just like you're gonna be" and this adorable little five year old stood there and gazed at me with adoring eyes. . .and her fingers in her mouth. It was so sweet and funny that I had to have myself a good chuckle at my desk later. :thumbsup:

I have a similar story, Dance4joy - one of my supervisors' daughter dances! This has been great because my supervisor doesn't get under my skin about not sitting and writing all day long, and because she and her family come to our shows, along with other professors in the department, which makes it feel like my family is around me! The young girl is in a syllabus class, and was having trouble with some of her positions last year or the year before. So her mum told her that 'Ami stands in first position all the time - even at the supermarket...' :shrug: So she went and told her entire class that, watches my feet intensely every time I see her.... and remembered her positions in exam without fail! :thumbsup:

Guest dance4joy
I have a similar story, Dance4joy - one of my supervisors' daughter dances!  This has been great because my supervisor doesn't get under my skin about not sitting and writing all day long, and because she and her family come to our shows, along with other professors in the department, which makes it feel like my family is around me!  The young girl is in a syllabus class, and was having trouble with some of her positions last year or the year before.  So her mum told her that 'Ami stands in first position all the time - even at the supermarket...'  :grinning:  So she went and told her entire class that, watches my feet intensely every time I see her.... and remembered her positions in exam without fail!  :)

How funny!! It is nice to know that we can serve as good role models for aspiring young dancers. Even if we aren't the very best or professionals they are still inspired by us and try to emulate us. I just hope they don't try to emulate some of the mistakes I make in technique class! My old teacher was really good about telling us he'd rather see is make our own mistakes than mess up because we were just following the crowd. :unsure: LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

These people who think Ballet is bad for you probably have arthritis and tendonitis themselves...and back pain from being a couch potato too. All the medical people are telling arthritis sufferers to exercise these days. Use it or lose it and all that!

It is a rare adult that lives pain free. Tell them to pick their poison and you'll pick yours.

My husband thinks Ballet is nuts and can't even look at a performance without wincing. I got him into a Tap class and he thinks he is Fred Astaire. He is good. The teacher says he has potential. I am glad it helps open his mind to dance. He did freak out that my tuition went up this semester and he is sitting this one out due to work stuff conflicting. Imagine if it were doubled!

Laschwen

Guest catiebship

My family never has supported me in dance. I did not start as a child because of this. Every lesson I have ever taken, every class I have attended, every book, shoe, outfit, leotard,sock ,video tape came from my hard work and sacrifice, from my desire, and through my research. Thus I have not always had the best but it has been good enough. What I have gotten is a rich and deep respect, reverence and unabiding love for this most beautiful form of art. And I took every opportunity when I grewup to follow my dreams and take all those classes I dreamed of as a child. :blushing: My own version of "the Red Shoes! " No support though all the way through. Not ever, not once, nothing. :innocent:

Now that I think of it though, when it came to recital time and to performances where I was starring, they were all there then! Only too ready to be front row center. I had that too and I have to admit it to you, it felt so good. :wub: It felt so good that I was too scared of loosing it to keep it, so I set it aside and went back to school to have a real career!

Horrible accident. :yucky:

Now I work alone at home. My family does not support me. My husband does not support me. So I do what I did before...Every book I buy, every leotard I have, every barre I work on, every awesome web site I find,come from my hard work and sacrifice, from my research. :blushing:

What I need to do I to find the opportunities available out here in VT to take some dance classes/dance therapy classes. And my motivation will be my love for this most beautiful form of art. :blushing: For you see, when I am at one with it then I by extension am-a :shrug: most beautiful artist! Am I not?

Again, I feel presumptuous adding to this thread, because my current support is just fine, but Catie, your story is making me really sad. I hope you find a place to dance where your teachers and the other students will support you. It's hard to work in a vacuum, really hard :innocent: .

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :yucky:

Guest catiebship
Again, I feel presumptuous adding to this thread, because my current support is just fine, but Catie, your story is making me really sad. I hope you find a place to dance where your teachers and the other students will support you. It's hard to work in a vacuum, really hard  :wub: .

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :yucky:

Oh please dont feel presumptuous! :innocent:

Hey, Thank you for the support! Its well directed anyway, I assure you! :shrug:

My family never has supported me in dance. I did not start as a child because of this.

Now I work alone at home. My family does not support me. My husband does not support me. So I do what I did before...Every book I buy, every leotard I have, every barre I work on, every awesome web site I find,come from my hard work and sacrifice, from my research. :yucky:

You are not alone in this. See all the posts!

I had that lack of family support thing too. If my high school hadn't offered serious ballet classes in place of regular gym classes I wouldn't have had any real classes. My parents paid for tights and shoes because these replaced the required gym outfit they would have had to buy anyway.

When I went to college I took one or two dance classes every semester. I just had to make sure the credit hours didn't put me into the next level of tuition costs since the parents were paying for college. That is why I didn't major or minor in dance. They would have freaked.

I have Tap class now at the university near where I live now. The dance department stinks overall. They only have one ballet class...beginning and it is one semester. There is an intermediate Modern and an Intermediate Tap (mine) but no advanced anything; just a choreography class. Still I'd like to go get a late life minor added to my degree because it is there. I still have to check out the instructors. I only know two of them so far. I don't even know if I could get into the "program" such as it is at my age.

Then there is the hubby. He would start sounding like the parents if I gave him the chance.

Keep up the good fight. We are all in it with you.

Laschwen

Catie, where in Vermont are you? I went to college in Plainfield and lived in Burlington for a while, I may be able to help you find a studio.

Hi catie,

I was feeling like i was the only one in the world experiencing lack of support! :wacko:

Then i stumbled accross this site and realised that so many people go through this scenario and not just related to dance either. I have been lucky in the sense that my mother just seemed to know that i was craving to dance because when i reached eleven she booked me in for jazz classes. I cant remember ever asking for classes, i was very shy, and i can remember spending hours in my bedroom dancing about to any music i came accross.

Although this was great, it was not enough, i only had class once a week, i think that was all we could afford then. The other students also studied ballet/tap/singing and took drama classes. I remember feeling like i didnt fit it too.

I got myself to class at weekends from the tiny village i grew up in to the town centre, it took just under an hour by bus. I didnt mind this though. I remember telling my mum about class or things i was learning but didnt really feel like it was as important to her as it was to me. When it was time for exams or rehersals i went alone and used to wish my mum was there too, like the other students and their families. It was my choice to stop attending class, as i never felt comfortable their, even after five years. Nobody said anything and i really felt like i had failed. All i needed was a bit of encouragement or support, even a positive word would probably of kept me going :(

It is much harder as a child to motivate yourself or think positively, well from my experience it was.

Anyway sorry to rant, just thought i would add this as your story made me think about my past.

So how are things now? Like laschwen said - ''keep up the good fight - we are all in it with you''.

cassy :angry:

Guest catiebship

Thanks for all the support and great encouragement. :wacko: I am looking for a studio here but am having a problem. I live in Alburg, Vermont near St albans. I could certainly go to Burlington if you know of a decent or somewhat decent or any studio in the area?? :angry:

Now I am really itching to go. I am even getting my doctor to write me a note so that my husband is not so resistant. my doctor has verbaly okayed it but my husband will not take my word for it--can you believe it!! actually he just worries that I am over anxious to get back into shape because I have been wasting away for three years. :(

By the way I DO NOT feel sorry for my self in the least. I am lucky to have such a wonderful and deep passion. Not many people have that. My shyness and timidity are just barriers that I basically ignore these days -they deserve to be bulldozed through don't they?! So I will keep searching for a studio and if any of you know of a studio in my area please let me know and I definitely check it out. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone!!

There is a reputable (at least in 1996) studio in Essex Junction, a little south of Burlington on I-89. I think it may be the Vermont concervatory-they used to have adult classes.

http://www.partypop.com/Categories/Dance_I...ion/Vermont.htm

Here is a link to dance schools in Vermont. You could make some phone calls- there is a studio in St Albans listed.

Remember to ask for private lessons or if your could take the children's classes if adult classes are unavailable- if you feel up to it.

Good luck!

Guest catiebship
There is a reputable (at least in 1996) studio in Essex Junction, a little south of Burlington on I-89.  I think it may be the Vermont concervatory-they used to have adult classes.

http://www.partypop.com/Categories/Dance_I...ion/Vermont.htm

Here is a link to dance schools in Vermont. You could make some phone calls- there is a studio in St Albans listed. 

Remember to ask for private lessons or if your could take the children's classes if adult classes are unavailable- if you feel up to it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much! Wow! I will definitely check it out.

Cate

Keep us posted- we are definitely here for you to share your thoughts, triumphs, and difficulties with. :yes: