Ballet Talk for Dancers

lack of support

cassy

Guest prokofiev

Just wanted to add that while I extol my dh's virtues in my other post, my ballet life was not always this peachy... growing up all I ever wanted to do was take ballet and my parents wouldn't let me. At 12 I finally persuaded them to let me help finance lessons with my babysitting money - I got one class a week. I lived for that class! When the teacher explained that I needed a minimum of three classes a week (it was a good school; I was serious enough to have done my homework), my parents agreed to two per week, if I could have a partial scholarship. The school agreed. After two years, when it was more than clear that I needed more classes, my parents forced me to quit, saying that ballet took too much of my time. :)

I swore that day I'd take as much ballet as I wanted as an adult, and no one would stop me!

And I do. And no one does. And now my parents brag to their friends. How's that for ironic! :dry:

If you don't go for it now, when will it happen? Live your dream - because no one else will! B)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cassy

• Dance_Scholar_London

• missvjc420

• Laschwen

Just wanted to add that while I extol my dh's virtues in my other post, my ballet life was not always this peachy... growing up all I ever wanted to do was take ballet and my parents wouldn't let me.  At 12 I finally persuaded them to let me help finance lessons with my babysitting money - I got one class a week.  I lived for that class!  When the teacher explained that I needed a minimum of three classes a week (it was a good school; I was serious enough to have done my homework), my parents agreed to two per week, if I could have a partial scholarship.  The school agreed.  After two years, when it was more than clear that I needed more classes, my parents forced me to quit, saying that ballet took too much of my time. :angry:

I swore that day I'd take as much ballet as I wanted as an adult, and no one would stop me!

And I do.  And no one does.  And now my parents brag to their friends.  How's that for ironic! :dry:

If you don't go for it now, when will it happen?  Live your dream - because no one else will! :)

Bravo and Amen!

Laschwen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest catiebship

Armed with my wonderful ballet board support team as well as--get this--my huysband!!!-- I found a teacher willing to take me on with my special needs. Since my neurosurgeon gave the okay,my hubby has backed me all the way, even to drive me two hours one way to the class! The teacher agreed to do one on one only but would not give me any opinion whether she thought I could eventually get into classes.

Well, I had my first lesson this morning and I must say it went very very well. I asked the teacher again after the lesson if she thought I would be appropriate for ballet classes and she said-no hesitation-- absolutely, you would have no trouble at all. :blushing:

For some reason all through the lesson she remained sort of fixated on my back and my feet. She said I have a beautiful flexible back and beautiful strong feet. It just seemed so strange. I have heard of admiring faces, legs, bodies, butts, etc but feet and back?? :) Hmmm. HaHa. How is that for day one. I felt so encourage and full of happiness I could bust. I just wanted to share this with you. Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. :thumbsup:

Cate :party:

• 2 weeks later...

hi catie,

sorry for the delayed response, it is so good to hear that you are on your way back to class :angry:

sounds as though you have some lovely qualities, doesnt it make your day if somebody genuinely notices even the smallest detail. Sometimes you try so hard to correct yourself and improve all the time that you do not realise how beautiful your posture/turnout or allignment e.t.c. may be.

keep it up and keep in touch :)

cassy

Guest Lizzie 37

Many of you guys are making me feel ancient, I think I have sox older than a few of you. A few totally off the cuff thoughts...1. As an old therapist, I say beware. Partners do not become less controlling as time goes on. [ unless they have therapy, a sign from God, you kick some butt, or they develop a neurological disorder ] If the finances are as you stated, that sounds like control. Is it worth it to question a source of joy for a guy? 2. As an old but well preserved lady [ happily married] let me say, with apologies to the guys online , since you are of course the exception,...so many men, so little time.Why settle? 3. As an old nurse, I would ask you this; when you are on your death bed...good drugs on board, great linen, your favorite people around you...you generally regret the things you DIDN'T do...not those you did. So since the current "boyfriend" will probably not even register on the radar screen of your memory, why are you giving your power away ? Life is short love, dance!

Hi Lizzie,

you are right, you do regret the things that you didnt do, even now im 24 and still sometimes think that i should of pushed myself harder when i was younger. I also believe that life is to short for regrets, every time i doubt myself or find myself thinking what if, i snap myself out of it because everyone makes mistakes or wonders what if sometimes - i think!! :D

things are a bit better for me at home, more relaxed and feeling happier too :)

although i am still young, i have been in this relationship for 6 1/2 yrs. Normally we get on great, i think my boyfriend finds it hard to understand my passion for dance because - although i have always had it, when we first got together i wasnt taking classes due to lack of money, i was a full time student at college. We then brought our own house and our job situations were difficult for a couple of years. Only the last three years i have started taking classes again and this last year, am quite serious about it. I cant imagine now how i got by all that time without dancing!! :rolleyes:

I guess what im trying to say is that i want the best of both worlds! I dont want to give up either part of my life.

There is a way around the finance part too, we decided to go back to having our own bank accounts, i will pay my share towards bills and stuff - the rest is mine :D

So there shouldnt be any complaining about when - how and how much i spend on dance.

Thanks for your good advice, i know you are right -people dont change and there are plenty more fish in the sea!!

I suppose im not intrested in fishing, im more intrested in dancing :P lol

cassy

• 2 weeks later...

i always tell my mom (who sometimes comments on the time and money spent) that ballet keeps me happy... and its a whole lot cheaper than a psychiatrist!

Guest catiebship
i always tell my mom (who sometimes comments on the time and money spent) that ballet keeps me happy... and its a whole lot cheaper than a psychiatrist!

Beautifully put! I agree with you so much it is almost scary! :rolleyes:

Cate