Ballet Talk for Dancers

A Dreamer quits work

Guest babygurlesq

Guest babygurlesq

I work fulltime and attend law school and not only because of ballet but certianly due in part to it I have been considering quitting my job and taking more ballet for a year and a half while I finish school.

I definitely want to quit anyway, but what's nagging me is knowing how much wanting to go to ballet class factors in....

I feel guilty but the draw (as I'm sure many here understand) is quite strong.

My boyfriend is supportive and says he'll take care of our expenses while I finish school and pursue allet if I choose - but I wanted to know if there are an other lunatics out there and if so - how did you make this work for you...?

Jaana Heino

If it was money-wise possible for me, I definitely would not work, but use my time in studying and otherwise doing the things I want to develop in (ballet, swordsmanship, writing, etc) or contribute to. These things are a lot more important than working - the purpose of work is to make this possible, I feel.

(That is, for most of us it is - even when we are lucky to have job in which we can develop and what we enjoy, it mostly isn't something that really really needs to be done by us.)

Since you say law school, I gather you are not very old - below 30, certainly, most likely below 25? You'll have plenty of working years ahead of you even if you now take a year of. If your boyfriend is willing to support you, do it - and don't feel bad, for you can always pay back later by supporting him when he wants to do something smile.gif

So what if the reason for you quitting is, partly, the wish to do more ballet? What's wrong with wanting to do ballet? It's not going to be your career, so it's not "real"? Forget such thoughts. I think developing one's skills in various areas is a very good goal, indeed, regardless of if those skills are your "professional" skills or not.

This happens to be something I feel very strongly about, so I'm sorry if I come through harsh. What I want to say is go for it - I wish I could. smile.gif

[ March 05, 2002, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Jaana Heino ]

Guest mic31

This is a huge opportunity for you. Take it...By taking the time to pursue something that you have developed a passion for, you will learn how to achieve excellence in other areas of your life. You will be able to apply so much more skill to you future legal practice because you took the time that so few ever seem to take.

[ March 05, 2002, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: mic31 ]

Go for it! I stopped working in December so I could do more ballet, and with the Spring show, sudden and last minute rehearsals would have been impossible had I been working. Work begrudged me doing any ballet at all so I wanted to avoid actually getting kicked out for asking to leave early every day. wink.gif

Now I'm on the verge of having a full time job and am already worrying that I won't be able to take as many classes as I do because of being too tired, and rushing from work to ballet school. I would rather have part time work, but no one seems to want to employ someone who is not able to commit to regular mornings, afternoons, evenings or weekends, just in case an extra class can be arranged, or a performance attended!

So yes, take this chance that has been given to you. Don't let it slip by so you regret not doing ballet a few years down the line. Let youself have some free time for ballet now, as I'm sure being a lawyer is very hard work!

Guest pointe

I often find myself in the same situation. I wonder how can I get by the society stereotypical point of view that dance is something not important? I'm sure most of us on this board have special reason(s) for wanting to dance, especially ballet. In fact, of late I found that my well-being actually kind of depend on the fact that I LOVE ballet and it's one fact that I can't deny at all. It's like I thrive a lot doing ballet.

My main concern is how am I able to do ballet classes regularly while holding down a full-time job, when full-time job would require working overtime, especially in Malaysian working culture. How do I do ballet classes regularly, without putting my full-time job at stake?

I haven't found a job yet but I would like some input on how to face this situation when it's actually upon me... confused.gif

Guest babygurlesq

Let me thank everyone who responded - as getting some support from fellow dancers has certainly influenced my decision - which will indeed be to go ahead and do it.

I wanted to address pointe's question, and then I'll go into more detail about my plans...for those who will follow and want some insight into the challenges one faces when making this decision.

Pointe - working and doing something you love, when they happen to not be the same thing is a rough road. I work (hate it), go to school (the jury's still out on this, no pun intended, but overall it hasn't been a a pleasant experience - I also hope not working will assist in this regard) and take ballet(which I love). Whenever I have complained aloud (doesn't happen often but sometimes it gets the best of me) about the load -indeed even when I have done so in the summer when I don't have school - the sentiment of the confidante is always:

"well you know life is about making choices and it seems to me that the ballet is a recreational thing - I mean - you can't be a dancer NOW - so it's kind of like putting the gym on hiatus while you get your life in order".

But the missing link is that for me - life is not bearable WITHOUT my ONE THING that makes me happy - dancing. That might sound dramatic but for me it is the truth, and it's difficult to make my FRIENDS understand that much less my job. Believe it or not even my education in law school isn't even important to them. Slowly but surely, though, I am finding that the ONLY way to live is to do it for you. Decide what you can't live without and work around THOSE things. Don't squeeze your happiness in - structure your life around what makes YOU HAPPY.

That said, your first order of business when you begin to work will be deciding just how important ballet is and what you will be willing to sacrifice for it to play a role in your life - and further how large or small you are comfortable with that role being. For me - doing a class every night after work and one on the weekend might have been enough - but I don't have that option because of school. I would have been willing to give up my nights and some extra sleep and time to take my ballet classes. But with school taking up three of those nights, I am relegated to two weeknights and my precious weekends which should REALLY be used primarily to study. Taking ballet on weeknds means waking up earlier and studying less (a catch 22 in and of itself). With my week full of class, work, and ballet - this simply isn't plausible. By the weekend - anything short of a 12 hour day on Saturday AND Sunday means disaster at finals time.

My point (which I seem to be losing in this god-awful soliloquy) is this: Working full time (8 hours a day I assume) and taking ballet is difficult but doable. Throw anything else into the mix (cultural concerns about the Malaysian work ethic, children, school, a family that requires your assitance in the home etc.) might be a problem.

You might also find depending on where you study, that simply by being able to MAKE ballet classes during the day, teachers regard you in a much more serious light. The preception, especially as an adult, is that you have made this artform a very important part of your life. My experience is that when you can do this, you become a much more important student in their eyes. Given this perception, your quality of training can be different to say the least.

This is not to say that you couldn't find a GREAT 3-4 day a week class that would give you all this and more. If you can, go for it - work and take you dance classes and exploit that privilege. It is hard to find - but possible - and can be as enjoyable as studying while not working.

You will also want to consider how you will pay for your classes if you DON'T work - I had to come up with a very elaborate budget to do this. You might too if you're not working. Again - it's possible. But if you can do it and remain financially stable - that is certainly optimal.

Guest pointe

Thanks, babygurlesq. You sure help me a lot in this issue. It is difficult when people like us would want the best for ourselves and couldn't get what we want in life straighten out. I wish things aren't that complicated. But then again, life has always been like that...

~pointe~

You are so lucky to have the opportunity to develop your ballet...you should absolutely take it and thank your lucky stars that you have been given such an incredible advantage. Congratulations!

Just out of curiosity, what was your hesitation for?

Guest babygurlesq

Glad to help, pointe.

Lala - mny hesitation is about the fact that I am probably one of the few adult beginners that are seriously considering a career in dance - wherever I can find that. It floats there in the back of my mind like a little gumdrop smile.gif and I worry about "taking the plunge" as I call it, and immersing myself in ballet as much as I plan to, because that means a commitment to this dream that I've "just been dreaming" thus far. It feels irresponsible at my age to undertake something so unlikely. And to change my life for it completely - well that's even worse.

But this is finally my unequivocal attempt to make my dream happen. So I guess the hesitation is partly about fear of failing and having made a bad decision.

But I'll just have to be afraid.... tongue.gif

I'm quitting my job in mid-July. School ends in May for the summer. I'm saving money between now and then (like ALL of my money) and I'll be going to the Richmond Intensive in August.

The journey begins. cool.gif