Ballet Talk for Dancers

Vaganova Academy

The Vaganova Academy has a website in English and Japanese...http://www.vaganova.ru/eng.html You will find a FAX number on the website and may FAX serious questions of interest and await a reply. My suggestion is to begin at least 9 months in advance, for entrance next fall. As for the video, the information is on the website. Housing and one meal a day (lunch) is provided in the tuition of $10,000.00 annually. The Rossi St. complex includes a dormitory for the foreign students. As far as I know there are no scholarships for foreign students.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vrsfanatic

• joowieshin

• odette45

Guest CiNCiNNATiBALLETdancer

I know there is the 9 month program for the foreign students, but are foreign students allowed to audition for the full program? (7 years i think it is?)

Foreign students are not accepted into the Vaganova Academy until they have graduated from high school. The determination of how many years of study a student may be offered is depending upon which level of study a student is placed. This determination is individual. Placement is decided according to age and ability.

This year the Academy is implementing an additional year of study for the Russian students making the program now 9 years. It remains to be seen what happens with the program for foreign students. As the year passes, perhaps more will become clear.

FYI: All students foreign and Russian alike must pass their examinations annually in order to be admitted for the following year. The program of study is 10 months, offered for 10 years to those who qualify. The foreign students are in the same classes as the Russians. They do not have seperate dance classes. Any foreign student who attends the Academy for the 10 month program is in the full-time program.

Pardon me for interrupting, but it would be my advice for anybody wanting to go to an off-shore, fulltime, residential education program of any sort, not just ballet, to begin planning two years, preferably three, ahead. :o

Since they take class with the Russians, I am assuming the class is taught in Russian? How do the students understand the corrections given by the teachers? They steps are usually called the same thing, so I don't think that is too much of a problem but how do you understand

" Lauren , you need to point your left foot about 10 degress more to the side."

By the way , I have no plans on going to Russia and studying, but I am very curious about the language barrier. I also speak Japanese so when I go backto Japan it makes classes so much easier.

Yes, classes are taught in Russian. :rolleyes: The foreign students study the Russian language daily. When I was there as a teacher, my language teacher taught me Russian specifically so I could take my exams in Russian. She was amazing. She translated the pedagogy program for me for the first 4 months, as well as translated my 1st oral exams for me and then I was basically on my own. I continued to have daily language classes. She came to my 2nd half of the year exams in case I had difficulty with the language, but I do not remember using her that often. Twelve years ago, almost no one spoke English in Vaganova Academy. Now many do.

There have been/are many Japanese students in Vaganova Academy. All foreigners are put together in Russian language class and taught the language in Russian. Somehow when one is emmersed in a language it is easier to learn. :blushing:

Allegrodancer

If you send a video to audition for this program, could a student be accepted based on the video, or is there a secondary audition process that follows? It sounds like a very intriguing program, but it must be extremely selective. Are there usually any Americans accepted into this program, or is it a rarity? Also, do recommendations from Russian teachers who studied at the school themselves help a student have an advantage for this program? Lastly, what kind of exam must a student pass to gain admittance? Must the student go through the process of the Vaganova class exam, or does the Vaganova Academy look at the video to see if the student WOULD pass the exam based on their level of technique, etc. ?

Thanks in advance for the info.

There are always Americans, Canadians, English, or Australians enrolled in the program at Vaganova Academy. There are students from all over the world. Currently we do have a student who did graduate from our program in his 2nd year of study in Vaganova Academy. His plan is to graduate this year. He did not ask any of us for a letter of recommendation to enter although we did have many long discussions of the pros and cons. Studying in Russia is not for everyone. I actually recommend it to very few. If a student asks me about it I will be honest about my wonderful experience, but I was far from a teenager when I did it. A student must be incredibly adventerous, extemely mature and independent to thrive in a program of study in a foreign country.

A video is generally what they request, but please refer to the link at the beginning of the thread. Vaganova Academy is quite good about cooresponding through email. I am not up to date on what they require and their process of acceptance at this time. As for examinations, a student is thrown in with the Russians and evaluated on the same criteria at the end of the year. Exams are not given at the beginning of the year.

I would suggest if your teacher is a graduate of Vaganova Academy that you discuss your interest with her/him. The more insight you have, the better able you will be to make your decision.

• 1 month later...

vrsfanatic, I have noticed from both post on here and on Ballet Talk, that your knowledge of Vaganova Academy is outstanding. I wonder if you could help me. I have a daughter that is currently attending The Royal Swedish Ballet School in Stockholm. She would very much like to get into the Vaganova Academy (or at least apply). Our problem is that the Vaganova website is out of date. Emails are not replied to and telephone numbers are not connected. Do you (or any other reader) have any information on how to contact them? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Marino

Iceland

Edited by Marino

Yes, the website is unfortunately out of date. :o It does seem odd however that you are not getting a response since my most recent email of 6 weeks ago was answered and it was my first in 5 years. There are all new people in the office so no one knew me by name or by association. Have you been trying over theses past few weeks? If so, that may be the problem. Traditionally the school is closed for winter holiday for the month of January. No one maybe working. They usually return to work in mid-February. The Russian holdiay calendar does not necessarily coorespond to the American holiday calendar. Try again in mid- February.

vrsfanatic, thank you for a very quick response.

I did email them to intercontact@vaganova.ru on Dec. 4 and then to academy@vaganova.ru on Dec 21. What email address did you use, if I may ask?

Marino

• 1 month later...

A question about vaganova academy: do they have a summer course? Since the school year is 10 months, where do the students train in summer? It is unquestionable that the school has produced some of the world`s finest dancers, but do the students take a 2 month break? 2 months off is quite long(I mean, I am sooo off after a 3 day break...) SI are soo popular in the US, I sometimes wonder ofttheir importance if a major school like this one does not necessarily stress summer ballet studies...Just wondering...

Marino I am sorry I missed your last post. I have always used the email address provided on the Vaganova Academy website.

The Vaganova Academy is not currently offering a summer course. Yes, the students do take 2 months off from class. The older students (years 6-8) do sometimes take class with their teacher if the teacher is currently associated with the Mariinsky Theatre. The school has been traditionally run this way for over a century. :dry:

• 2 years later...
lumpofsugar

What happens if you are poor and can't pay for the fees (I'm referring to the Russians as they often send their children there so their children won't be poor). I was wondering the other day, I mean the fees are really expensive and I don't think it's funded by charity or Government.