Ballet Talk for Dancers
Xena

Adult Dancers Photos??

Xena

Just a quick question...Are us adult dancers going to send in photos of what we look like, doing ballet of course? No, normal shots. It would be fun, fo us all to see eachother in our dancing gear!

Whadda ya'll think?

Kate B

I'm not too sure...

Besides being a technophobe and not knowing my JPEGs from clothespegs, I don't like the idea of bringing reality to the message board, although I did like to see Victoria's and Mel's photos up. The thing was, they didn't look the way I expected to, and I don't know how I'd feel about finding out that the adult students don't look how I imagine them to.

However, I guess it might be helpful. For example, I could send in a picture of me doing a developpe and ask where exactly I was going wrong. Sometimes it is hard to talk about technique without actually being able to see what people were doing. Robiin could have sent in a wee film of the waltz steps he was having trouble with, and Ms Leigh or Mel could have put together a film to show how to do it step by step! But I guess there's not a lot of time for that sort of thing.

Mel Johnson

Now that we can put up .jpg images on the main pages, can .mpg images be far behind? My guess is yes for now, but it's surely not a bad idea, especially with the use you have suggested!

Guest beckster

lol I think it would be fun! Having only done ballet for a few months though, I have no photos of me dancing and to be honest, I don't think I want to know how awful I look in action. It would be great to see some of you others, particularly those who are more experienced dancers, as it gives us something to aspire to.

Becky

Xena

Becky, I will bring my camera with me next ballet lesson! Just a nice pose in fifth postion!

Jxx

Guest beckster

Nooooooooooooo! I am horrified at the very idea!

(see the way the tables are turned when it means anyone seeing ME in a leotard, demonstrating my chronic placement to the world!)

[This message has been edited by beckster (edited February 19, 2001).]

Alexandra

Well, those brave souls who want to show their stuff will have a page too:

http://www.balletalert.com/studio/adultstudents.htm

I got a photo from Marc (who usually posts on the Tech forum) today. Anyone else interested, send me a JPG file -- sorry, but I don't have time to scan photos I get by mail and return them, but if you send me an email, I'll be able to put that up!

Xena

Cool, I better get on and take some photos then! Jx

Mr Robin

Hmmmm...

I wasn't too sure about this photo idea before, but having seen how professional Marc looks in his photo I'm pretty certain that I'm not ready to be seen in 'public' yet! Maybe in another couple of years... wink.gif

Xena

Awwwww come on you guys, you are missing the point. We are adult ballet students, some of us have been dancing for years, but have followed other careers, some have only just started dancing. There is no way in the world I could possibly wish to compete with someone who has taken ballet up as a career/or is doing ballet full time like most of the young dancers. Surely, we want to encourage other adult ballet dancers, and give the message that it is okay to be at the level we are at and still enjoy and love ballet just as much as someone who is doing it full time. We should therefore put up pictures of ourselves in nice simple poses, nothing complicated unless we want to or are good at it. I mean its the same with audition photos for the younger dancers, unless you can execute a perfect 90 degree first arabesque, then don't have a picture taken of you doing it. My friend has taken some lovely ones of me doing nothing more than a fifth position and my arms in fifth, and I was like 'surely that's not me!' I look so different..try it, you'll be amazed..but the trick is to keep it simple. Ok fine, if you really don't like having your picture taken, but not doing it because of the other pictures you have seen, should not put you off, as I'm sure it wasn't their intention to do that.

Keep smiling Jxx

Mel Johnson

And of course, there's nothing mandatory about this new feature - it's strictly voluntary. But of course, we all will try to encourage participation of interested parties! smile.gif

Guest beckster

Remember that Marc is studying dance at university, and is also very much "into" photography ... so don't be too put off by his picture!

Jeanette, I'm coming round to the idea ... gradually!

Becky

Alexandra

Xena, you've got the spirit! It will be inspiring to other people, and a simple pose is just fine.

Xena

Well the deed has been done! We got through ovnearly two rolls of film, so hopefully there will be something on them. I got my friend to take piccies of Becky as well :-)

I know I'm so nasty!! Poor Becky couldn't run anywhere!

My friend also bought in her dad camcorder, which was great fun. I thought it would be really cringeworthy, but it was so useful! I was amazed that I wasn't cringing when I looked at theplayback afterwards. She videoed some barre exercises and wow you really see some weird things that your bottom half gets up to! I highly recommend taping your calss or bits of it if you can. It is really enjoyable..honest. I can't wait to watch the whole thing when its copied onto tape! And Becky and I well depends if she likes the photos will soon be appearing..I have to just develop the film first! happy snapping! and taping!

Guest Sonja

Gosh, I believe good old Germany is really ways behind! The only idea of having photos taken would probably horrify 99% of those sharing my class (including me...)! But I believe the reason for this is mainly that we still compare ourselves to professional dancers and their bodies - and quite naturally, the results will be frustrating... I guess it depends on getting someone to take the photos who a) understands at least a bit about ballet and the points and lines to look out for and :) who is willing to bring out the best of everyone... thanks to everyone contributing in this post - this has encouraged me to look for someone to take some photos!

PS: A friend of mine started ballet at the age of 40, had a photo taken of her in a tiny attitude relevé - and has hung up this photo in her flat! I only wish I was as self-confident as her - but she's French, maybe that's the difference???