Ballet Talk for Dancers

Muscles start to twitch while stretching?

psavola

When stretching I have noticed that sometimes the muscles to be stretched start to twitch. This "shaking" in the muscle is very fast, and small enough to not cause any movement.

The intensity of the stretch I experience does not seem to be a factor - sometimes the twitching starts before I have reached a position where I normally feel a good stretch. Waiting a moment does not seem to lessen the twitching or make it disappear.

These tiny "mucle-spasms" are not painful, but have started to worry me a bit, especially since I have no idea what it is or why it happens. Has anybody else experienced this? Does anyone know what causes it? And what to do if the twitching starts?

Hi Paivi

This is totally normal so no fear! All it is is an indication of your stretch limit or your muscles strength/weakness. Think of it as your muscle saying, "That's enough — don't go any further!" At this point you should stop, hold the stretch where it is most comfortable for you, and take a few deep breaths before you release the stretch.

Jeanette

I think that Jeanette's advice is good. Remember, also, that Muscles will only function/stretch at their highest capacity if they are properly warmed up and well hydrated. Please be certain that you are not doing any vigorous stretching before most of your barre. And be certain that you are drinking enough water. Stretch until you feel only a moderate (nothing severe) stretch and hold it for 10-20 seconds.

Thanks, Jeannette. I had no idea my flexibility varied that much from day to day. You said muscle strength is an issue - can muscle tiredness affect it? Because I think I start to twitch bit more often after two classes than after just one.

Dmdance, no need to worry, I only stretch after a class or when I'm otherwise well warmed up. I also take care to drink a lot during class - approximately 1 liter of fluids (usually water; some juice if I'm doing two classes that day) per hour of exercise, and more afterwards. I'm also being a good girl and eating my minerals. smile.gif

However, I have read that to increase passive flexibility a stretch has to be held until the stretch reflex is overcome and the muscles can be felt to "loosen". This supposedly takes approximately 20-30 seconds in most people (In me, usually closer to the 30 seconds)

When talking about 10-20 seconds were you thinking more of the limbering-type light stretches done in the end of a warmup?

I find that i get these muscle "spasams" for no real reason...i can get them after walming up, but nine times out of ten i get them after i have gone for a brisk walk for about an hour.

I do not get them when i strech too much, but i have a feeling that it is a combanation of muscles flexibility, and how long you warm up for- i get it when i dont spend enough time warming up.

This is just my idea...there is probably a real explanation for this.Is there a doctor in the house/studio?

Mel Johnson

That sounds more like "oxygen debt" to me, where the muscles build up an oversupply of lactic acid, and spasming great or small ensues. Nothing for that but rest and some massage.

Paivi, yes, I was referring to stretching after barre. During a stretch class or a stretch on your own, you would want to hold the stretch a bit longer (as you indicated) in order to increase flexilbility. I am glad to hear you drink a lot of water. Be certain also that you are breathing properly!!!

Major Johnson, English not being my native language I am not sure which post your oxygen debt answer references - mine or Lala's or both of them?

Dmdance, I'll check my breathing next time I stretch - I have the unfortunate tendency to hold my breath during class, so it sounds just like the kind of thing I might do. smile.gif

Mel Johnson

Paivi, the answer was directed to anyone who experiences muscle spasms after a period of exertion. Oxygen debt is a natural process, and the onsets will eventually subside when the muscles supporting the exertion are stronger, or more flexible. It will take awhile for that to happen.

Archived