Ballet Talk for Dancers

Pique on pointe with straight leg

gerlonda

An anecdote here - when I was a kid and working summer stock, powers that were in my company decided to do Kurt Weill's Knickerbocker Holiday, and when the casting went up, I found myself placed as Peter Stuyvesant, the seventeenth-century Dutch Governor of the New Netherlands (New York and associated real estate). It was a great part, and I got to sing the ONE song in the score, "September Song" that the audience would all know! Stuyvesant was an older man - I always got character parts - and had had his leg shot off in earlier colonial wars. I went onstage with my right leg crooked back at a right angle to my thigh and balanced on a peg leg fastened at my knee. This expedient was covered by the long cape I wore and the large rapier on my left hip, also counterbalancing me. I found out why they had chosen me. I was "the ballet dancer" onstaff, and the choreographer had me dance on the fool appliance! And one of the things was a piqué turn with a grand sweep of that cape downstage and trying not to trip over the sword! :)

Great thread! I read it before my ballet 3 class the other day, bacause we've been doing piques on pointe in center now (no turns yet :wink: ), and psiqued myself up.

Before we did them I mentally reviwed all the advice and did a much better job. I still have to work on pulling up a bit more and closing better my fifth, but I was alor more stable and was coming down instead of bumping down my pointes. :pinch: !

the choreographer had me dance on the fool appliance!  And one of the things was a piqué turn with a grand sweep of that cape downstage and trying not to trip over the sword!  :dry:

thanks for sharing :wacko: , ack not sure if I would want to have to do an pique on an actual peg leg, but the thought you actually had to certainly will add to my visual next class! Hmmm maybe I can work the cape into my arm movements... I think I'll just leave the sword though, I have my other leg to trip over as is.