Ballet Talk for Dancers

Help! Adult beginner...

Guest Stephanie

Guest Stephanie

I started dancing as an adult about 9 years ago. I studied ballet, tap, jazz, swing and belly dancing. I stopped almost 2 years ago because between my two jobs I had no time left for classes. Then I was pregnant and didn't dance and now that my son is 8 months old, I decided to take classes again. I have signed up for tap (the only adult class I could find) and I tried to do some stretches the other day. I could not believe how stiff I was. I was unable to do anything. Is it even possible to get back to where I was 2 years ago? My tap class starts tomorrow and I am afraid to even search for any ballet classes. Any help would be appreciated.

• Administrators

Hi Stephanie, welcome to the Adult Ballet Students' forum on Ballet Talk!

The good news is, yes, you can get back to where you were. smile.gif The bad news is that it will be a bit more difficult now, and also it won't happen by doing tap! Get yourself into a ballet class, a stretch class, a Pilates class, or all of the above!

Hi Stephanie

First of all where are you located? You never know, there may be someone near where you are doing adult ballet.

Ms Leigh is totally right in saying you need to find any class that will make you stretch. Yoga, pilates even buying a yoga stretch video will give you something to work with if you can't get to a gym.

Why are you afraid to search for ballet classes? We can help you and encourage you biggrin.gif so never be afraid to ask anyone on this board any question. We are here to support eachother and help others in our quest smile.gif for ballet.

jeanette x

Guest Stephanie

Thank you for your kind words. I live in Palm Coast, Florida just north of Daytona Beach. I think I have found an adult ballet class but it might be a little more advanced than what I am ready for. But...I am going to give a try. I will continue with my search and my classes. Hopefully I will be able to post back within a few months and let you know of my progression. Again I thank you. Just knowing other people understand has helped me regain my confidence.

Have you had a chance to observe this adult ballet class? even if you have and you thnk it is more advanced it is so different when you are actually in it. Some things that you thought looked easy, aren't and those that looked really advanced are easy. Since you have had a grounding already in ballet, it will come back easily. By the end of your first class your muscles will have remembered all that it was taught all those years ago. So go grab the bull by the horns and go to that adult ballet class. I am sure there will be people in it that have not had as many years as you have had and then there will be very good dancers.

Do keep us informed we love to hear experiences like this. Tell us how your first class back went, I am sure you won't be able to write fast enough you'll be that excited biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Just concentrate on all the things you do know, not on the things you don't. Go in with an open mind, enjoy the class and i'm sure you'll come out wondering why you ever hesitated about going back! Good luck and let us know how it goes. smile.gif

Guest Stephanie

Thanks for all your support. They added a beginner jazz class at the college so I took that instead of tap. They were at the same time so I couldn't do both. The instructor also talked me into joining the Intermediate Ballet class so I did. My first jazz class will be Wednesday and my first ballet class on Thursday. Cross your fingers for me. I going for it!