Ballet Talk for Dancers

Funny things spouses say

Guest prokofiev

A few years ago I discovered that my husband has the feet and legs of a dancer...just beautiful! and untrained! aieeee, so unfair. That perfect amount of hyperextension and the most wonderful arch. sigh.

Anyway, now that he realizes this, whenever he's around dancers (my friends or my students) and he overhears them complaining about anything with their bodies, he'll walk right over, slip his shoe off (luckily he's always in shorts) and show off his dancerly assets. There is always some sort of sound and look of disgust followed by a 'thats so unfair'. He then walks off happily... many times with his own unique version of something inbetween a saute and pique arabesque.

A few years ago I discovered that my husband has the feet and legs of a dancer...just beautiful! and untrained! aieeee, so unfair. That perfect amount of hyperextension and the most wonderful arch. sigh.

Mine doesn't have the feet but he sure has the legs! Calves to die for..... I have not told him. It might go right to his head.

:lol:

Laschwen

Julip, your husband secretly wants to dance I think! :lol:

Drag him to class sometime- you never know!!

Clara 76

Guest prokofiev

Oooh, Julip, my husband too!

His whole family has the most gorgeous-shaped, slightly hyperextended legs, with beautiful feet... (sigh) while my genes dealt me a long torso and stubby legs and feet that need constant work... (sigh again, a little deeper)...

No lederhosen or underwear dances here (sounds like fun, though!) We do a dance together on occasion, that looks kind of like those dancing bears you used to see in Europe, just rocking from one foot to the other. That's it - other than that and Mr. Bayes, no dancing for him! When I suggest that ballet will help his martial arts practice, I hear mumbling about "um, bad knees... army injury... can't..." I'm convinced that he'll be shazbotting eventually. He loves old movies with dancing in them and enjoys going to ballet, but is convinced that the infantry soldier in him just can't quite get beyond the combat boots.

(Deep sigh and loving look towards the next room...) :grinning:

..." I'm convinced that he'll be shazbotting eventually.  He loves old movies with dancing in them and enjoys going to ballet, but is convinced that the infantry soldier in him just can't quite get beyond the combat boots.

(Deep sigh and loving look towards the next room...) :rolleyes:

My Cavalry man was happy to go to ballroom class with me. It is a very popular community Ed. program class. You have to call by 8AM on the day they start taking phone regiswtrations to get in....

It might be a way to ease your infantry man in....

Laschwen

this is a great topic, i really envy all of you who have understanding and supportive partners / family. It is really nice to share the details of class with -things that went well - or bad and funny moments!

My boyfriend just doesnt understand dance at all - although he appreciates it is good for me and keeps me fit.

If i ever need some advice or a giggle i just log right on to ballet talk :angry:

cassy

• 2 weeks later...

Tap is another good way to "ease them in". My dad started taking tap about the same time i began ballet classes because he had to be at the studio anyways and now hes hooked! you cant take him anywhere because whether its the parking lot, grocery store, or church hes always tapping! nevermind if there's a beat or not, he'll make one up :lol: around the studio and around town im always getting, "oh! your the tapping guy's daughter!" :rolleyes: haha

• 3 months later...
Guest lady caroline

I was trying to explain what a grande jete is to my boyfriend (since I can't exactly do them!). Ever since then, he always asks how my "joot da floo" is going. He really makes no attempt whatsoever to remember what moves are called, and rather inserts some random string of sounds that he deems "french-ish". He's adorable.

The latest comments about class had to do with my bean counting hubbys remarks about how much the class "really" costs when you add in the skyrocketing gas costs for the 50 mile round trip and the parking fee; but he has noticed what it is doing for my legs too....he likes those other benefits. Meanwhile, I am down about 17lbs since February and the only place it seems to have come off is my thighs. Thank you ballet class.

Laschwen

good for you laschwen :huepfen:

i still stick to the old '' so what is the price for happiness and sanity?!!''

Mr Fish has shown interest in ballet for the first time last night.

I've just finished the 3-session Rep class at Morley college, which involved learning some solos from Coppelia, which was great fun!

So last night I got home and showed Mr Fish the Swanhilda Act I entrance. (Luckily I've got the music!)

When the teacher was teaching us the solo, he read out the mime and the meaning of the steps as we were learning it, which helped a lot in terms of memorising the steps.

Because Mr Fish is so ballet-dyslexic, as I was doing the dance I explained what I was doing as well.

After the solo finished here's what Mr Fish said:

1. So did the ballerina have to say all those when she's dancing as well?? :wub:

2. No?! So you mean the dance wasn't just to look pretty but it actually means something???

:dry::angry::huepfen:

Cheers,

Fish

P.S. At least he showed some interest! It's a big start!