Ballet Talk for Dancers
charlotte1755

Early Release

K8smom

It IS possible to get early release with a block schedule, as long as your student has enough credits. When Kait was a senior, we arranged her schedule so that she didn't have any afternoon classes at all (no D block). However, she was not doing college prep courses (wants to be a dancer and put all of her eggs in one basket despite all advice to the contrary :blushing: ). I'm not saying that everyone should do this, just that it's possible. And, yes, she did graduate!

Guest balletandsynchro

K8smom, unfortunately DDs old HS has a rolling block schedule, which means that a different block begins each day, and a different block ends each day. With that schedule, even though she had no C block, which allowed for early release one day, and a late start another day, the schedule didn't permit early release EVERY day. Obviously, it depends upon the school and the particular scheduling they have instituted. Sorry I didn't make myself clear about the type of block schedule she had in my post above! :blushing:

K8smom

balletandsynchro, that sounds like a very difficult schedule to work with, if you have after school activities. At Kait's HS, the blocks alternated but weren't rolling, as you describe. One day D block was 6th period, and the next it was 7th period. With both 6th and 7th periods off, she never had a D block class. (She did, however, have to be in school by 7:35 each morning [if I remember correctly]. Had she not been dancing, she would have gone for A block off, for sure!)

mirabray

I just find out from my daughter, another girl in town will be getting out early next year. We are in Bergen County. If she audition/or even got in ABT, we need 1 or two periods drop. I wait and see.

balletdad

My dd will be in 8th grade next year so the high school hunt is just beginning for us. She is still two levels shy at the ballet school from needing to worry about release time (unless she gets promoted for next fall :wacko:) but, as we begin exploring high school options it is a definate consideration. The ballet school has a list of high schools that cooperate with the ballet school on early release but the schools on the list tend to be top private schools and very expensive. I was hoping to avoid that big tuition bill. The local school district has a school of the arts, but, as they are quite proud of their own dance program, they refuse to even consider early release so their students can dance elsewhere. The principal told me that they are "not there to provide acedemics for child professionals".

As I said we are still very early in the high school hunt. We have decieded, as least tentatively, to put aside issues of early release and just concentrate on getting dd into a goo high school where she can thrive acedemically and socially as much as she has in K-8 and worry about early release when that time comes. Otherwise I think we would go insane! She may need to change schools in the middle of her high school career, or she may never get promoted to the upper level.

Whenever I throw down those chicken bones, lay out that tableau of cards or peer into the bottom of my tea cup, I just don't get clear messages on what the future holds. We do the best we can with what we know.

*moderator deleted exact duplicate of this post below

DON HO

My DD has rolling block schedule and has been granted permission for early release next year. However, the school does not allow her to drop any classes. Instead, she will be responsible for making up any classwork/notes etc. that she misses. Since she has a different last period each day, she will be missing 1 class in each subject every seven days or so. She will have to have a dependable friend in each class who she can call and get the information she missed. We'll see how it goes, the school will re-evaluate this set-up after the first semester.

charlotte1755

Daughter was granted permission for early release next year - Yea!!! She will leave after 5th period. It was not as hard as we thought it might be. It is good to have an understanding guidance dept. and principal. DD also wrote up a dance resume showing how much time she puts into dance and where she has gone over the summers and what roles she has had. I think that really helped to!!

DON HO

Good news Charlotte :)

mirabray

We were all cheering for you!! This what I call a thumbs up day. :)

mirabray

Hello, back to trying to get early release again. I need some back up for the state of New Jersey. Can anyone give me school district in NJ that allow early release for ballet. Since most schools have local boards, I would need the name of the schools. If I can give alot of numbers, maybe the board would be force to consider this a real option.

Rhapsody

Mirabray, I am not in your State but I've been in your state of mind.

Dd needed early release (sort of sounds like a prison program phrase?) and when I could get no response from her assigned public HS counselor (what a red flag that was!), I contacted the Superintendent of Public Schools for our district via e-mail, stated the facts, including dd's academic stats, volunteer service hours, school leadership and honors etc. requested assistance with finding a public high school school willing to work with us and lo, within an hour of sending the e-mail I had a phone call from the Superintendent's office that put me in touch with a high school that might be able to work with that schedule. I sent that school's Principal an e-mail again stating the facts, including stats et all (actually just copied and pasted) and lo, within 15 minutes had a reply from the Principal that said, "We'd love to have your daughter at our high school. We'll make a schedule work so she can attend the ballet program." The Principal put me in touch with the head counselor and off we went. DD attends 3 periods on the high school campus and takes 2 classes via internet.

Also...I did mention in my note to the Superintendent that I was 'getting concerned that we may have to move to another school district' if we couldn't find her a school soon. We were prepared to do just that even though I really really would hate to move.

Now the bad news is that the state scholastic scores were rather dismal compared with the private school she was attending. However, there are honor classes and AP classes (and those classes are quite small in number of students!) The key is getting the Principal of the school to recognize that the school is getting an excellent student, the type likely to increase test scores and bring positive PR for their school.

If the first e-mail hadn't worked, I was going to try the old: 'What about Art in the schools? Is this just lip service about getting arts in the schools? What about supporting a developing artist?' Look at the district's website and be able to quote any of the 'Art for schools' slogans you might find there. That angle might be worth trying. PM if you have more Q's. May the Force be with you!

mirabray

Thank you for you advice, yes the arts idea is good, I will check their web site. She would have to stay in this high school. You go to the school in you town, unless I go for a chapter school, admission for this may be over. She however would like to stay with if her graduating class. And of course the summer ballet programs are coming up, and you never know where this may leave her. But I am keeping her options open to leave early now.