Ballet Talk for Dancers

Walnut Hill Year Round

Guest willisdju

Guest Catherinn

Yes, I just saw the KCB spring performance (twice) and she was lovely. She graduated from WH last year and got an apprenticeship with KCB this past fall.

*edited by moderator to remove quoted previous post. :thumbsup:

Edited by BW
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Muck Luck

• 2dancers

• mini cooper

Guest Catherinn

My two daughters, TuTugirly and GracyLu (spelling might be incorrect) will be attending Walnut Hill in the fall. They are 16 and 14 (freshman and junior). While I am excited for them it has created quite an upheaval. I am moving from Kansas to Pennsylvania to be closer to them. It will be a 6 1/2 hour drive to see them. I would move closer but my husband's job just transferred him to PA and I figured that would be better than living in KS. I look forward to my parental involvement with WH and to seeing the dancers perform. I also look forward to meeting other parents. I will be in Carlisle so I plan on taking in some performances of CPYB too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest unsoccer-mom

Attended daughter's graduation from Walnut Hill yesterday and what a talented group of students in many areas of the arts. Spoke with grandparent's of one senior who turned down a full scholarship (music) to Julliard to attend NEC. A dancer's mother accepted her diploma because the dancer had left school three weeks early to accept a position with Suzanne Farrell's company. Unfortunately, since my daughter left dance and moved on to visual art, I don't hear much about the dancers

My two daughters, TuTugirly and GracyLu (spelling might be incorrect) will be attending Walnut Hill in the fall. They are 16 and 14 (freshman and junior). While I am excited for them it has created quite an upheaval. I am moving from Kansas to Pennsylvania to be closer to them. It will be a 6 1/2 hour drive to see them. I would move closer but my husband's job just transferred him to PA and I figured that would be better than living in KS. I look forward to my parental involvement with WH and to seeing the dancers perform. I also look forward to meeting other parents. I will be in Carlisle so I plan on taking in some performances of CPYB too.

Hello, I am new to forum and I have read your entry on Walnut Hill. I am from Central America. My daughter goes to a great dance school but it is not structured for her to dance ballet everyday. She has been to competitions. She was in YAGP this past April as an ensemble and then she just competed in the American Ballet Competition in Miami where she made it to the finals. She got there out of sheer will and just a beautiful performance.

She wants to get to a level that it is not possible to get to here doing ballet three days a week and then when competition is coming dancing that particular variation every night. I see that the auditions are very difficult for Walnut Hill 20 of 100 who audition. She is strong, athletic and has good technique, her feet need work. They are not bad feet, they just need work.

What are these schools expecting from an applicant? She's been dancing from the age of 3. But it's gotten to a point where the place she is at is not giving her what she wants or needs to raise her level. Also the school she attends to and our culture do not consider human beings pursuing a cultural endeavor at all. In order to go to these competitions, she has to miss school sometimes and that has turned out to be draining for her. She still manages to get B's in a very challenging academic school. I like the fact that Walnut Hill cares about the academics because she cares about that and she wants to be educated, just in case...

So if you would tell me about the auditions and how your girls felt, I would be truly grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi joyofaleap!

I'm Catherinn's daughter (one of them anyway) so I thought I would try and answer some of your questions until my mom gets the time to answer them from a parents perspective.

My sister and I also were in a place where we needed to move on. My parents were planning on moving to the east so we jumped on the opportunity. As for what they look for, I'm not positive of the exact criteria, but I'm guessing they look for a well rounded dancer and person. When applying you send in 2 academic references and one artistic reference, so academics are important. The director of the program is easy to talk to and if you have questions, the staff is easy to contact and quick to reply.

The audition, at least at the site we auditioned, was small and Michael Owen taught the class. He was personable and he worked it more like a class and less like an audition, which was nice. We actually auditioned for the summer program before realizing we were really interested in the year round program, so the SI audition served as our audition for the year as well. When auditioning for the summer you can ask to be evaluated for the year. After the audition, the auditioners talked to my sister and I and we realized the school really seemed like a great place. We both enjoyed the audition so much that we applied for the year and here we are. :D

Hopefully that answers some of your questions, but I'll encourage my mom to hop on here later tonight.

Hi Tutugirly! I was just wondering...how long after the SI audition did they let you both know you were accepted into the year round?

Hi Redstorm,

I can tell you that some dancers are told right away of their acceptance to the year round program pending academic information and references. Many people also need to apply for financial aid or scholarships so the final decision may take a little longer. Some dancers are also invited to apply for the year round school after attending the Summer Dance Intensive. It can all happen very fast! It's a wonderful school and dance program that is making an amazing difference in my daughters life. Let me know if you need more information. :D

Vickie

Hey there!

Vickie_CO I can't wait, hopefully I'll get to meet your daughter in the fall!

Hey Redstorm,

My sister and I were told right after the audition about acceptance for the ballet portion, then they encouraged us to send in our application with academic resources and the other information required. After that, they replied pretty quickly and let us know that we were accepted. I think acceptance depends on academics quite a bit too, so they wait until they have all the information.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dewact

Hi all, I am a new member to 'ballet talk', but have been reading the site for a few years now.

I felt compelled to speak to 'catherinn' and tell her I have the great privilege of teaching her daughters this summer at WHS. 'Tutugirly' is every teachers dream - smart, willing, capable and an incredible role model for 'gracylo' and the rest of the dancers here. You should be so proud of these two; they will flourish in the next few years at WHS, and owe you a huge debt (as I do my parents) for giving them such an opportunity......being let go to live your dream brings you closer to home......

balletbooster

dewact,

Welcome to Ballet Talk! How nice of you to compliment some of our 'own'. I know that their mother must be very pleased.

We look forward to you becoming an active member of our community and encourage you to be a regular contributor on the many forums we offer!

We are really interested in this school since my mother now has decided to relocate near my sisters...and they live just 15 minutes from WH. DD is a straight A student with very high test scores. Is that all they look at academically?

Guest dewact
What an unusual post.  I've never seen a teacher do this before.

just to add - I wanted to send catherinn a personal note, but haven't been a member long enough. This may not be the right forum to post these types of messages.

However, lol, since I'm here now I'd like to let the parents know that the staff is well aware of how anxious parents are when they send their DKs off to a strange place! I just want to reassure you that they are well taken care of..............

• 1 month later...
Guest unsoccer-mom

Just to add an update to this thread. My daughter just found out that one of her good friends, a young man who attended WH for all four years of high school, has signed with ABT Studio Company.