Ballet Talk for Dancers

Roll Call!

vagansmom

DD turned 13 today! I've been a BTFD member since 2009. DD happily trains at a local pre-professional school where this weekend she is performing in her first advanced-level student showcase. They are dancing the Entrance of Swans from Swan Lake on a tiny stage (fingers crossed for no collisions) good thing the choreography is relatively simple and repetitive, because just managing the shoes takes a lot of her concentration at this point :)

This is the version they are doing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ7ztMH_8yk

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clara 76

• jvonsc

• mcrm55

cluelessballetparent

Dancing daughter, age 15. Though I realized I used the wrong pronoun in some of my earlier posts. Sigh! Really, I WILL learn to type decently one of these days! Alas, the two finger method will have to sustain me until then! LOL!

tlmchisholm

DD age 15. Dancing at a pre-pro, lucky enough to live where she doesn't need to be on residence :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been lurking but thought I'd introduce myself - my DD just turned 13 in July. She's at a local studio, usually dancing 5-6 days a week... YAGP... Summer Intensives... the usual drill. Closest pre-pro option is too far to commute, but we're pretty happy with our local studio. I'm learning a lot from everyone's experiences, so thank you!

Dd age 17, senior. Has loved ballet for 11 years and will finish the last year with an AD who has provided not only a great ballet experience, but also helped mentor her during difficult situations and setbacks. She is fortunate to still dance with a handful of very talented friends since age 7 with very little drama or negativity. We are going to enjoy every performance this year! So glad we went down this path and I know dd will be well equipped for the future due to her experiences.

dancypants1

DD has turned 13, so I belong here now. Late comer to dance- competition school at 11, moved to ballet at 12. Not really sure she wants to do the classical ballet thing, but sure she wants to dance as a career.

harbordancer

Dd turned 13 this summer. She had a great experience at her first local si.

• 3 weeks later...

Dance daughter just turned 13, wants to be in a ballet company. She was a "late starter" as we didn't realize she was getting poor training. But a wonderful woman who dances with a local company came to teach class saw potential and took DD under her wing. DD is now caught up to the classes with the girls her age at a high quality studio. She is still probably the lowest in the level, but she's making stead progress and has big goals for the year.

So thankful she has a mentor who believes in her and wants to see how far she can go. I don't think DD would have ever had a chance without her.