Ballet Talk for Dancers

Another "Bump" that needs soothing

l2daisygirl

12daisygirl, my thoughts and prayers are joining the others. I wish the best for you and your family.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BW

• Balletmom

• Redstorm

• l2daisygirl

First, I want to say a BIG thank you to all of you out there who have responded with prayers, happy thoughts, good vibes, crossed fingers, and anything else that can be done!! It is SO overwhelming to see how many people are so caring on this board. Funny, I don't really know many of you, but feel like I do.

Chris is doing a bit better. They are checking his kidney for 24 hours and trying to reverse the rejection process. The congestive heart was caused by his inability to filter through his kidney (he only has the one donor kidney) and they are trying to reduce the fluid retention with diuretics. They can't drain the fluid around his heart at this point, yet. He mainly feels bad for rejecting it in the first place. My husband and younger daughter are on their way, and DD and I are going tomorrow, I think. (I had volunteered for an extra "SI- SHIFT" as I like to call them, and was comitted to work tonight, so we couldn't go with them) DD was in FW with me for her Dr's appt, and couldn't get back in time.

DD had her visit with the "ballet orthopedic" today. It was nice to walk in an office with ballet stars' photo's and autographs all over the walls! Much better than seeing pro football and basketball players!!

He took her off the crutches, put her in a boot, but only until she can walk semi pain-free, then no boot, and asked us to come back and be evaluated by "his" therapist who deals with dancers. That will be a little difficult for us, but hopefully, he can consult with our therapist and walk her through what he would do. Anyway, the bone bruise probably is chronic in nature, as she has absolutely no pain in that area, and nothing to be worried about. Time will tell if she can be ready for recital in 4 weeks. She's determined, and says, in fact, it does feel better walking in the boot, than on the crutches. So, perhaps things will be brighter next week.

Just an update:

Chris was taken off the ventilator last night and is breathing on his own after many ups and downs over the weekend. Miraculously, he is being moved out of ICU today. Too much medical info to go into on this thread, but all in all, the kidney is starting to function again, and he seems to be out of the woods.

We knew he was feeling better when he started "flicking the channels" on the remote and bugging his sisters (all 4 of them!), even though he couldn't really speak, he wrote them notes. He is now awake and talking!! Everyone was able to make it into town to see him, both at his worst, and now at his best in a long time.

DD and the rest of the family are still there. I drove home alone late last night and enjoyed the 6 hour ride with no talking, no radio, no stimulation whatsoever, (except for talking to my friends on the cell!!!) It will be good to have the house to myself for a couple of days.

DD is also feeling better. Funny, I "copied and pasted" a message I had posted on this thread to her AD to send out in a mass email to our studio friends. I forgot to change the "DD" to her name in that email, and now everyone thinks her nickname is "Didi"!!!!!! The all are calling her that now, and she has to explain all about BA and why her silly mother used the term "DD" when she really meant something else!!!.

She took herself out of the boot yesterday, as the Dr. told her she could do when she felt better and could walk without a limp. She is doing her excercises at the hotel, and will start PT again when she returns. This is much more important in her life right now. I realized on the way home last night that "the show does go on" and life does not end when one can't perform or when injured. I also learned that letting her stay a couple of extra days, with her extended family, and missing school, PT, etc, was a decision that would never be regretted. Making her come home, and something going wrong with her brother, would have been regretted forever.

Both the Ballet Company and the Musical Theatre Company got great reviews in the paper on Sunday. We will just have to have a "girls' night" and watch it on video.

Again, thank you all so much for your prayers and thoughts this weekend. You have no idea how much it was appreciated.

SO glad that your stepson is doing much better! Whew! I'm sure he's not out of the woods yet, but every crisis passed is one behind you. It's wonderful that "Didi" is doing better too.

12dasisygirl,

Thanks for bringing us up to date! This is good news, and we were all worried for you. Don't you just hate these character-building things when they happen? I find myself thinking, "But, really, I have enough character already....anymore, and I'd be looney."

It's wonderful for your daughter to have this incredibly important time out.

mc

:)

Thinking of you and yours 12daisygirl.

Don't forget to take good care of yourself during this stressful time. I hope that while you are supporting those around you, you are also being well supported.

For the most part, it's those of you here, that are supporting me. Thank you. At least I have this "sanctuary" to go to in quiet times. My husband doesn't have this.

All of you "givers", albeit male or female, know what I am talking about. I think probably 99.9% of BA posters are "givers". It's what makes us ask questions, be supportive, offer prayers, feel pain for the others here, really care to know the trials of other parents dancing "offspring" on the boards, and truly know that one day, it could be us, or our child in the same situation. I'm sure there are other boards that offer this type of support for parents, for different sports/endeavors, but I'm not so sure that they are so purely heartfelt in nature.

Thank you, again, for your support. At this time, I'd like to pass the baton to someone else in their time of need. You have all served me well...I'd like to help someone else now

12daisygirl, I know I can speak for all of us by saying "you're welcome" and how glad we all are that things are calming down for your family now. :shrug: It's been a tough time, to say the least.

Glad you're feeling able to "pass the baton" but remember if you feel as though you need an energy boost, we're still here! We're awfully lucky to have made such good friends through our relationship to ballet and the supportive atmosphere here at BT for D. :blushing::(

12daisygirl, I'm so glad things are going better! It's funny how troubles seem to come in bunches--I'm reminded of a quote I've seen that is attributed to Mother Theresa:

"I know God won't give me more than I can handle, but sometimes I wish he didn't trust me so much."

I believe you are right about most of the Ballet Alert posters being "givers". There have been times when I too have come here seeking sanctuary...