Ballet Talk for Dancers

Stretching knees without moving the kneecap?

Niphredil

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I read an article about knees and knee injuries, and it said that you're not supposed to move the kneecaps when you straighten the knees, because it could damage the knees. Is this true? I tried a couple of times, but I couldn't do it. I've always been told to "lift my kneecaps", so this confused me. Maybe I'm just a little overly worried about my knees, so sorry if this was a stupid question :P Hope you can help me with this!

If it says "don't" and you can't anyway, don't worry! :rolleyes:

Haha, that's a good way to put it, mr. Johnson! :clapping: I was just wondering if the statement was true, and if it's physically possible to NOT move the kneecap when stretching the knee. I just don't see how it could harm the knee. For me it's completely natural that the kneecap has to move a bit, since that's how the knee is built (at least that's how I've been taught!). I wasn't sure if the person who wrote this had experience with dancers, so I just wanted a dance teacher's opinion. Thanks!

I think that advice is more for Ordinary Human Beings, not dancers. OHBs have a sort of "floating kneecap" unlike ours, which usually move to the right place automatically. That's why you hear so much about runners and other athletes having trouble with the Anterior Cruciate Ligament, but ballet students rarely have difficulties in that direction.