Ballet Talk for Dancers

need HELP spotting!

Guest danceworksgirl

Guest danceworksgirl

this is how i spot: i start my turn (whatever it may be) and i leave my head looking at one thing (where i want to finish) until the very last second i can, when i then bring it quickly around. What am i doing wrong? please help because my spotting can be somewhat well...SPOTTY! hehe THANKS PLEASE HELP!

Spotting takes a lot of practice. One exercise you can do is turning around in one place while spotting your eyes in a mirror. That has helped me a lot! :wub:

Spotting is hard to do at first but you get the hang of it soon!!

When I was having troubles spotting my teacher told me to pratice on the computer chair. Find a "spot" to look at, turn the chair (keep looking at it) and when you are not able to see it turn your head really fast to face it again!

Sometimes beginners wait too long to snap their heads around. Try loosening up and relaxing the neck more. Then, snap around a little sooner than you normally would. Spotting really does take a long time and a lot of practice to get good at it. I have one or two students that seem to be "naturals" at spotting, but most take at least a year to get comfortable with it.

• Administrators

The original poster is not registered right now, as she is not 13 yet. However, she can still read the board, so we are leaving this thread, although closing it. There are, however, other threads on Spotting, quite a few of them, and one that is relatively recent. A search on YD forum for Spotting should turn up quite a bit of information.