Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Schools in Ohio

have pointe shoes will travel

Where is a good place to get professional training for teen age dancers in Ohio? O want a chance to dance and be challenged and given the opportunity to grow. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think we have an identity problem here. YOU want a chance to dance and be challenged, and you're a mother? I'm going to guess that the "O" is a typo for "I". They're right next to one another on the keyboard. Let's get this identity thing straightened out, and then we'll address the question.

I think we have an identity problem here.  YOU want a chance to dance and be challenged, and you're a mother?  I'm going to guess that the "O" is a typo for "I".  They're right next to one another on the keyboard.  Let's get this identity thing straightened out, and then we'll address the question.

Excuse me for the typo, I was asking the question for my daughter.

What part of Ohio does your daughter live in? It's a pretty good sized state, so it would really help to know. Since it's really a ballet school that you're asking about for your daughter, I am going to edit the title of your thread to reflect this and add your state in hopes that you may get some helpful suggestions.

P.S. And I'm moving this to Cross Talk which is where we tend to discuss various year round (residential or not) programs. :thumbsup:

Edited by BW

If you are in the Dayton area I recommend you look into both Dayton Ballet School and Pontecorvo Ballet Studios.

Cincinnati has several, one attached to the cincinnati ballet- Otto Van Budig (spelling may be wrong), there is one attached with the university of concinnati's conservatory -CCM-prep, and there is SCPA, which is a public preforming arts school grades 4 - 12. I believe there is another in one of the suburbs, ballet-tech I think it is called.

• 6 years later...

Does anyone have any info on Ballet Western Reserve in Youngstown or know of any good schools in the Youngstown area? The BWR website appears to have some old info. Thanks!

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old question but I would like to add two schools to this list.

The Ohio Conservatory of Ballet is a very small school (about 50 students) in NE Ohio but both of the teachers graduated from the Vaganova Academy of Ballet and both were principal dancers with large Russian companies. Select students can be coached for YAGP The website is http://www.ohballet.com/ Ohio Conservatory of Ballet was founded in 2001

Another school in Ohio is the Canton Ballet, it is also in NE Ohio. This school has an enrollment of about 350 students, the AD has a Masters Degree in dance, and the Canton Ballet is a member of RDA. the website is http://www.cantonballet.org/ Canton Ballet was founded in 1965

Both schools have annual Nutcracker performances, the Ohio Conservatory of Ballet also perfoms annually at dance festivals while the Canton Ballet's performing company perfoms annually at RDA

Edited by RussianBallerina
  • 10 years later...

We will be relocating to Cincinnati soon. Outside of Cincinnati Ballet, are there other quality ballet schools in the area?  

I don't live there but have done some research on that area. Besides CB, I would look into Beyond the Barre, de la dance center, Ballet Tech Ohio, and Le Jeune Dance. I'm sure there are others, but I would start with those. Good luck!