Ballet Talk for Dancers

My Studio is Closing

Guest afroballet01

Guest afroballet01

Hey.My dance school is closing because they don't have enough money.It is the only one that I like around my area were I can get quality instruction multiple times (2+) per week at my level.My old dance school has beginning and intermediate level classes each once per week,so I could possibly go back there.Then there is another dance school which has quality instruction,but is also extremely focused on competitions and recitals.Any ideas of what to do?

• Administrators

afroballet, please remind me of your intentions in terms of ballet. Are you an on-track, serious student aiming for a career, or are you doing it because you love to do it? How many classes a week are you taking now?

Guest afroballet01

I do ballet because I love it.However,for a recreational student I am really serious.I was taking 2 classes per week,but am now taking none because of injuries.I assume to be back before the summer though.

• Administrators

Okay, as a recreational student, just find the school that has the best ballet classes for your level. It doesn't matter what their focus is, IF the ballet classes are solid, and not used for rehearsals. That is something you want to avoid at all costs.

Guest afroballet01

Okay.I will probably go to some classes over the summer and decide which studio I like based on that and what levels are availible.

Guest afroballet01

I just found out that the place I was planning to take classes only offers each level once a week for one hour!!However,they do teach really strong technique.Any thoughts on this?

That sucks.

Find another place.

There is no way that they teach "strong technique" with that kind of schedule.

Guest afroballet01

Is a place (that is recreational) that has class once a week for an hour and a half okay?Those two are my only choices as far as I know.

• Administrators

Once a week is not sufficient for the study of ballet.

Guest afroballet01

Okay.Well I am a 14 year old intermediate level recreational student.How many classes a week should I be taking?

I don't really have much of a choice because I live in a pretty small town.

• Administrators

If you want to remain Int. level, a minimum of 3 classes of an hour and a half each. If you want to progress to pointe work then you need more than that. If you have any hope of getting to advanced level, you need daily classes in technique and pointe.

Guest afroballet01

Wow.I might be able to find 3 classes,but I'm not sure.Is taking a class below my level okay?Like a beg. Int or regular Beg class.That would make things a lot easier.

• Administrators

A slightly lower level class would be okay, but not a total beginners class. However, it really depends on what you want to accomplish.